DHCP Server Fails Every Few Hours

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

DHCP Server Fails Every Few Hours

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:DHCP Server Fails Every Few Hours
2022-08-20 03:44:05

@jdpk 

Sorry for my English

I have the same problem since firmware versions 1.2.0 and 1.2.1.
The temporary solution I found was to downgrade the router firmware to 1.1.1

I have several clients who had this problem.

Options
2022-08-24 10:35:47

Dear @Karel-24,

Karel-24 wrote

I have the same problem since firmware versions 1.2.0 and 1.2.1.
The temporary solution I found was to downgrade the router firmware to 1.1.1

I have several clients who had this problem.

Thank you for coming to TP-Link Community to report the issue.

To address the issue efficiently, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID220829381, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2022-09-05 00:09:50

OP here.

I did have a brief period of about a week or so where the DHCP function worked as it should, but now my issue has returned (and with a vengeance).

I have factory reset and re-adopted the router (ER605) with no help.

I then applied a beta firmware suggested by tech support via email (and linked elsewhere here on the forum) that was put out to correct other DHCP issues, but it did not help my situation.

It sounds as if there is another beta version coming out soon - I am hoping that helps.  It seems my problem of DHCP not assigning IP addresses is getting worse over time, and now needs to be "reset" by clicking "Save" on the LAN setup page more than once an hour, as opposed to once every few hours.

I do want to acknowledge the quick response(s) I have received via email from the support team as they try and help with (or at least understand) this issue.

Options
Re:DHCP Server Fails Every Few Hours-Solution
2022-09-09 03:31:09 - last edited 2022-09-09 03:31:15

Hi there,

Thank you for coming to TP-Link Community for help!

If you suffer from the same DHCP issue as it's described below (thank you @jdpk for the detailed information), please follow this solution post for available solutions. Thanks for your cooperation and patience. See you in the community soon!

jdpk wrote

I've had an issue for about the last few weeks where it appears the DHCP server "fails" every few hours and will not provide dynamic IP addresses to WiFi devices.

If I take a device (like my phone or laptop) away from home for a few hours it cannot obtain an IP address from the network upon returning.  The device goes into the "obtaining IP address" status and then ultimately cannot connect.  This occurs on multiple Android, iOS, Windows, and ChromeOS devices. I have cycled wifi off/on, forgot the network, and rebooted the devices, all with no help. It occasionally affects devices which are constantly near the network, as if the DHCP lease will not renew.

Devices with reserved IPs connect just fine. I am unsure if it affects wired devices, as most of my wired devices have reserved IPs.

If I go into the management interface and enter the DHCP settings page (Controller Settings (cog on the lower left) | Wired Networks | LAN | Edit (under Actions)) and then simply click Save on the Edit Network page - even WITHOUT making any changes, just merely clicking Save - the DHCP server will again begin to work (for a few hours) and devices will pick up an IP address within a few seconds. 

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2022-09-09 04:03:56

@Fae 

Yes, I applied the 20220902 beta build about 3 days ago, and the DHCP assignments have been working fine since then.

Options
2022-10-06 18:06:00

@Fae 

Is there any update on this, when an official release will be available? I have about 5 sites on that firmware version, but I am curious to know if there are anymore details of how this issue presents itself. I have not seen this issue on my sites with 1.2.1, but I do not have WiFi at them, only OMADA switches and Router. But maybe users have not reported the issue, I am not sure, but from what I can see in the clients no duplicates and ip's are being assigned.

I am deploying a few new sites, and would like to know best course of action, is 1.2.1 safe if not using WiFi or how does this issue present itself, what config makes this happen? or should I be using 1.1.1? I do not really want to use a Beta version.

Options
2023-03-23 16:11:36 - last edited 2023-03-23 16:23:22

I have the same issue, some clients get the wrong IP even though the reservation is fine. TL-R605 v1.0 FW version: 1.2.1 This is pretty annoying and messes up a lot of things.

EDIT: Just installed 1.2.3 beta and that seems to work. Strange to see that this is not an official release, it's mnths old already that seems to fix a serious issue.   

Options
2023-04-04 09:48:10 - last edited 2023-04-04 09:59:02

I have the ER605v2 running 2.1.2 and experience the same problem.

Because of this, we have regular IP conflicts in the LAN.

@Fae 

When is the GA planned for 2.1.3?

Edit: ER605v2 is managed by OC200 running 2.7.7 Build 20221206 Rel.58608

Options