ER7212PC - the first Omada 3-in-1 Gigabit VPN Router

2022-12-13 07:48:22 - last edited 2023-02-21 07:04:34

Hi Everyone,

We’re excited to announce the official launch of ER7212PC!

ER7212PC is a future-proof, versatile, and compact router with PoE+ ports and Controller capability!

1. Production Overview

• 3-in-1 Router: A router with a built-in PoE switch and controller
  • Up to 4× WAN Ethernet Ports and 8x PoE LAN Ports
  • Highly Secure VPN: Supports IPsec VPN, OpenVPN, and L2TP/PPTP VPN connections
  • Centralized Management: Cloud access and the Omada APP offer convenience and easy management

2. Hardware Features

• Equipped with 2× Gigabit SFP WAN/LAN ports, 1× Gigabit RJ45 WAN port, and 1× Gigabit RJ45 WAN/LAN port
  • Support 8 ports 802.3af/at PoE output, PoE budget is 110W
  • Professional 4 kV lightning protection
  • Power supply: 53.5VDC/2.43A Adapter
  • Fanless and compact enclosure design for desktop and wall mounting

3. Software Features

• Supports all Omada Software Controller functions with remote cloud management
  • Supports OpenVPN/ IPSec/ PPTP/ L2TP/ L2TP over IPsec
  • Captive portal provides a convenient method for guest authentication
  • Abundant features including Load Balance, Bandwidth Control and Access Control

4. Application Scenarios

Supports Desktop and Wall-Mounted installation, and is suitable for small network scenarios such as small restaurants and convenience stores, as well as home network scenarios such as residential home decoration.

5. Solution Deployment Advantages

For small commercial networks and home networks, the current Omada solution is Omada Router + PoE Switch + Hardware Controller, which may troublesome for users to deploy and take up a lot of space. Compared with current Omada solution, ER7212PC has the following advantages:

• Easier deployment
  • Less space and more flexible in installation
  • Lower cost
  • Maintains flexibility

6. Product Comparison

(1) TCP packet forwarding performance comparison (Static IP)

The one-way TCP performance of ER7212PC under Static IP dial-up is comparable to ER605 v2, the two-way TCP performance is slightly better than ER605 v2, and the two-way performance of dual LAN/WAN is better than ER605 v2.

(2) TCP packet forwarding performance comparison (DHCP)

The one-way TCP performance of ER7212PC under DHCP dialing is comparable to ER605 v2, the two-way TCP performance is slightly inferior to ER605 v2, and the two-way performance of dual LAN/WAN is better than ER605 v2.

(3) VPN performance comparison

ER7212PC supports IPSec VPN, OpenVPN, PPTP/L2TP and other VPN types, and supports SHA1 and SHA2 encryption algorithms. The IPSec VPN performance of ER7212PC is lower than ER605 v2, but the performance of PPTP、L2TP VPN and OpenVPN is better than ER605 v2. In addition, the ER7212PC's VPN can significantly outperform the ER605 v1.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frequently Q&A

1. How many network devices can ER7212PC manage?    

It can manage network devices through ER7212PC external switches, and can manage 2 routers (including itself), 2 switches(not including itself), and 10 EAPs.

2. What is the maximum and recommended number of clients supported by ER7212PC?      

There is no exact value for the maximum number of supported clients, but the recommended number of clients is 80-100.

3. Does the ER7212PC support managing remote sites?      

Yes, it supports manage remote site.

4. Does the ER7212PC have Standalone mode?

No, since it has build-in Omada Controller.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
20 Reply
Re:ER7212PC - the first Omada 3-in-1 Gigabit VPN Router
2023-01-17 16:45:50 - last edited 2023-01-17 16:50:52

@Hank21 The TP-Link Omada EAP225-Outdoor is a 3-in-1 Gigabit VPN Router that is designed for outdoor use. It is a high-performance wireless access point that supports 802.11ac Wave 2 and offers dual-band speeds of up to 1750Mbps. The router also supports VPN functionality, allowing for secure remote access to your network. It has a compact and durable design that is weatherproof and can withstand extreme temperatures, making it suitable for use in outdoor environments. Additionally, it has an easy setup and management, as well as PoE support for flexible free deployment.

Overall, the TP-Link Omada EAP225-Outdoor is a reliable and versatile router that is well-suited for outdoor use. It offers fast speeds and secure VPN functionality, making it a great choice for businesses or organizations that need to provide wireless access in outdoor areas.

Options
2023-01-18 22:06:43

Jennifer32 wrote

@Hank21 The TP-Link Omada EAP225-Outdoor is a 3-in-1 Gigabit VPN Router that is designed for outdoor use. It is a high-performance wireless access point that supports 802.11ac Wave 2 and offers dual-band speeds of up to 1750Mbps. The router also supports VPN functionality, allowing for secure remote access to your network. It has a compact and durable design that is weatherproof and can withstand extreme temperatures, making it suitable for use in outdoor environments. Additionally, it has an easy setup and management, as well as PoE support for flexible free deployment.

Overall, the TP-Link Omada EAP225-Outdoor is a reliable and versatile router that is well-suited for outdoor use. It offers fast speeds and secure VPN functionality, making it a great choice for businesses or organizations that need to provide wireless access in outdoor areas.

@Jennifer32 thanks for the reply but I am a little confused about the response. I am referring to the 3 in 1 Gigabit VPN Router ER7212PC and not the EAP225 outdoor unit. The question was related to the use of a Proscend 180-T SFP VDSL2 modem module inserted in the SFP socket of the ER7212PC WAN/LAN port and whether this will work. Thsi will save having another device taking up space.

Options
2023-01-31 08:53:48

@Hank21 

Could you please test the IPv6 throughput performance on this router?

Options
2023-02-04 22:42:58 - last edited 2023-02-23 01:56:34

Hi All,

Just got a sample of ER7212PC for my lab and would like to share my first feedback:

1. The idea was to understand, what would be the best choice for the client: small office, 3AP, 4 IP cams, 4 IP phones.

Variant A: OC200+ER7206+TL-SG2210MP+(AC1750 x 3)+TL-SG1005P for 4 IP cams + TL-SG1005P for 4 IP phones

Variant B: ER7212PC + (AC1750 x 3)+TL-SG1005P for 4 IP cams + TL-SG1005P for 4 IP phones

After the new ER7212PC discovery, I can't use Variant B, because:

1. ER7212PC doesn't have PVID. Impossible to set different VLANs for WiFi, cams and phone networks.

2. No LAG / LACP to connect two 1Gb ISPs and extend a wired network with TL-SG2218 in future.

3. No port management features as you have in TL-SG2210MP.

So with the existing FW, ER7212PC is a simple OC200+ER605+TL-SG1005P x2 in one metal case. 

Hardware issues:

1. No options for server rack mount.

2. Power has an external power adapter. The power connector is very light and has no fixation. I got it 5 times disconnected before I put it inside my server rack.

3. Very long boot time >5-7 min on average.

Conclusion:

1. Good idea

2. Very fresh firmware

3. Not ready for SMB use cases with advanced requirements

Recommendations:

1. Add PVID, LAG+LACP.

2. Add fixation for the power connector

3. Add server rack mounting

4. Dream of having SD-WAN

5. Dream of having an improved firewall, IDS/IPS

6. Dream of having an Ad Blocker

7. Dream of having client device identification

8. Dream of having a Hotspot Manager with payment systems.

UPD: PVID is available for ER7212PC in the last beta FW from 14022023

We craft reliable solutions | 1.855.888.0169 | https://cctv-ca.com
Options
2023-02-11 18:25:31

@Hank21 

Hi! This ER7212PC sounds like a really versatile and compact router that could be a great fit for small commercial networks and home networks. I like the idea of having a built-in PoE switch and controller, as well as the various VPN options. Thank you for providing a detailed overview and comparison with other models. I'm also happy to see the Q&A section, as that's really helpful. I'll keep the ER7212PC in mind for future projects. Thank you! Just a heads up, my current project is related to Chester Maintenance.

Options
2023-02-11 19:00:26

@Hank21 

Thank you for providing detailed information about the Professional Highland 3-in-1 Router (ER7212PC). It sounds like a great product with multiple hardware and software features, making it suitable for a variety of small commercial and home network scenarios. The product comparison also shows that it offers better performance compared to other similar products in the market.

It is good to know that the ER7212PC can manage network devices, and has a recommended number of clients between 80-100. And, the ability to manage remote sites is a great feature.

Overall, the ER7212PC seems like a well-rounded and efficient product for small network setups.

Options
2023-02-12 23:22:36 - last edited 2023-02-12 23:33:20

@Alex_UTS 

I just got my first batch of these and really like the integration.

I am 100% with you on all points, especially the power adapter.

TP-Link, please add an adapter with a threaded collar! We all know it's not a big expense and we would gladly pay for these features.

Segway topic, not sure if anyone else ever noticed this, but when I change my network IP range when using an OC200, it would need a manual power cycle to grab the new IP scheme and come back online. (can we please just have Omada reboot everything if I am changing entire IP ranges?)

I was please that when I did this to the 7212 everything came back as it should.

@Fae  Also, DHCP IP Reservation did not seem to work. Possible same issue as the others?

Options
2023-02-13 09:15:01

Dear @EIBROG,

EIBROG wrote

TP-Link, please add an adapter with a threaded collar! We all know it's not a big expense and we would gladly pay for these features.

Thank you for your feedback. If you are talking about adapter cords that tend to come loose, TP-Link team have received such feedback and optimized it in the new batches of production. Sorry for any trouble caused!

@Fae  Also, DHCP IP Reservation did not seem to work. Possible same issue as the others?

Sorry that I'm not sure whether the ER7212PC have the same DHCP issue or not. To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID230221447, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-02-14 02:17:01

@Fae Something like this is what I am suggesting. Or a rack mountable version of the ER7212PC with PSU built in (or a swap-able PSU module? standardize it across all your rack mountable devices? or a few models depending on wattage)

Fae wrote

Dear @EIBROG,

EIBROG wrote

Thank you for your feedback. If you are talking about adapter cords that tend to come loose, TP-Link team have received such feedback and optimized it in the new batches of production. Sorry for any trouble caused!

Options
2023-02-17 23:57:37

Rack mount + locking plug would be tremendous improvements.

Rack mount could be as easy as a set of wings with screw points on the chassis, and if the power brick was incorporated into the main housing that'd make it less of a mess in a rack.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 6136

Replies: 20