ER605 v2 Firmware update 2.1.0 causes adopting loop

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER605 v2 Firmware update 2.1.0 causes adopting loop

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
67 Reply
Re:ER605 v2 Firmware update 2.1.0 causes adopting loop
2023-01-15 14:47:01

Hi @Lurk ,

Yes, I'm well aware of the method, but my point is its just not good enough and cannot be relied upon. This is supposed to be a management system, plug and play, zero touch provisioning etc., and its just not. Having to manually change IP addresses, reset, change back etc. is unacceptable and entirely unnecessary if the software were better written/designed.

There are plenty of issues that need sorting out with Omada. but this is pretty fundmental...

Options
2023-01-15 16:06:34

@Tescophil 

• Is the controller inside the management VLAN?

NO (this is a non starter, and as far as I can see has never worked if you have a TP-Link router)

I my setup this works. All devices including the controller are in the management network. It was a bit of a hastle to adopt the router to the controller again because the utility did not work from the start. It requires an Oracle JDK version 8 explicitly, which it doesn't ship with. OpenJDK of any version or vendor did not work. And the autodiscovery of one of the two - controller or router, forgot which - did not work right away, but eventually it did. Since then all is Ok here.

I am waiting for Fae or Hank to chime in and helps us. I was waiting for the release notes and a public statement regarding the release anyway and wanted to wait a week for things to show which turns out was a good idea. First rule: never change a running system, second plan updates beforehand and with time to spare to fix unexpected problems.

Options
2023-01-15 16:38:30

Hi @modebm,

Sounds to me like your setup in fact doesn't work if you have to hand configure devices using software that is at least 9 years out of date (JRE8 😨!).

My point is if you need to replace your router you should be able to plug in a new one, have it adopted/configured automatically, and you can't... That's the whole idea of a system like Omada, simple commissioning and maintenance...

Options
2023-01-15 17:40:39 - last edited 2023-01-15 17:54:38

Hello everyone,

for those who operate the router in standalone mode.

I copied the firmware out of the controller path.

But i cannot upload files larger than 10 MB not this kind of files. I also tried to rename to .txt

You can copy where you omada is installed

Here i have uploaded the file

https://easyupload.io/gzdgdd

After the upgrade, you absolutely have to delete the browser cache or use a different browser because the page hasn't loaded in chrome for a long time.

i think the problem is, when adopting the router with the controller the router will be reseted and there is the problem with the user/password in your "Device Account" setting in the configuration of the controller.

I have tried to adopt in controller version 5.8.4_Windows but it's looping

than i have reseted the router and have installed v5.3.1_Windows an the looping is there also.

I had to go in the router ui 192.168.0.1 and set the same user/password as in the controller config "Device Account".

And than i can adopt the router in the controller.

Options
2023-01-15 17:56:05
Took me half of the day to figure out that the auto update feature broke my system with exact this issue. Disabled it now. Looks like someone set the ready to roll out flag for the router firmware to match a non released controller firmware. Website still displays 2.0.1 as latest. This is indeed a nogo
Options
2023-01-15 19:25:35 - last edited 2023-01-15 19:26:18

I have SDN running inside a container in my raspberry. Latest version available 5.7.4. 

I upgraded firmwares last night for both of my jetstream switches and gateway. Switches are now on 1.0.7 working as expected. But gateway went into this adopting loop just after upgrading to 2.1.0. 

To resolve:

First downloaded in my laptop the 2.0.1 firmware. 

Disconnected the gateway from the network and connected directly to the laptop. 

Pressed the reset pinch button. 

It restored 2.1.0 on local mode.

Connected again to default 192.168.0.1 logged in from the laptop, set new admin account. 

Did manual firmware upgrade using the local UI and loaded older version 2.0.1.

Aftwr rebooting in 2.0.1, I set the gateway back to original IP 10.0.1.1 and LAN to original subnet 10.0.1.xxx. 

Reconnected gateway to the network. Raspberry was assigned new ip due dhcp. Found out with lan scanner app. Logged in to Omada, adopted gateway again. 

Then restored latest backup from omada controller which I store weekly on my NAS. The restoration sets up everything exactly as it was before. The only thing i had to re do, was regenerating and re installing new certificate on clients for openvpn.

The whole restoration process took me 1 hour approx. The longest part is the rebooting of thr gateway. 

It was not a nice situation but i was prepared for it. This morning i went one step further preparing system recovering procedures and started backing  up full raspberry SD card. 

Options
2023-01-15 19:27:15

To add an additional data point - running Controller 5.7.4 on linux, After reverting firmware back to 2.0.1, all worked fine.

• Did the problem occur?

Yes - the same adopting loop that others are reporting.

• Did you change the default IP range of the default/native network?

Yes

• Do you use a separated management VLAN?

No

• Is the controller inside the management VLAN?

No

• Is the controller connected via switch or directly to the router?

Via switch

• Are ACL restrictions in place to separate the VLANs during update?

No

Options
2023-01-15 20:57:03

Thanks for the many answers to my inquiry.

I have two causes so far that could trigger the problem

1. Some have problems with connectivity to their ISP after updating the firmware
  2. All have changed the main LAN IP range.

I will leave further investigation and solutions to TP-Link for now. Thanks again.

Options
2023-01-15 21:01:35

@SuperUserOne 

So for me after upgrading,  IPV6 no longer worked,  all my port forwarding no longer worked and my Omada controller would just loop around trying to adopt my ER605.   What it did do was connect to the internet and hand out DHCP reservations correctly.   I could see why some may think its actually working when it's not.

Back to 2.0.1 and it's all good.

Options
2023-01-15 22:35:51

do you mean port forwarding oder ACL rules?

do you have in your ACL rules source ip and destination ip 0.0.0.0 Maybe you have to delete this in the and of the ACL list

Options