network switch with Omada controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-22 15:35:22 - last edited 2023-03-23 01:38:34
Model: LS1008G  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

ecd5f3ecd8604c7f91ad3bb7a8584104

my network topology is above. I am trying to create a mesh network that all the wireless routers inside this network will be connected to the same network. The same system used in universities. Many wireless routers but only one network.

I am not sure if I am  doing right. I need help in this.

What I have done so far is, I got controller and connected it to my network. All the devices are tp-link devices. AC400 (archer 20) wireless router has internet access. the omada controller menu only sees AC1200 as a device not others. I checked some videos on internet and saw that the controller device sees other devices also.

I am using this for our small business in fact. Not home, however our system is very basic right now.

**************I am not sure if I need switch, but the tutorials I saw internet was talking about that.********

So do I need to change the devices? What am I doing wrong?

Options
1 Reply
Re:network switch with Omada controller
2023-03-23 10:43:47

@KurtWagner 

Hey

Just to clarifiy something..  im guessing the term "mesh" you are referring to the ability to move from AP to AP without disconnecting?   If so thats not actually mesh, its called fast roaming..  Mesh is just the ability of AP1 to talk to AP2 without a cable connection (wirelessly)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the AC400 and AC1200 are not the devices you need to do this.    The ACxxxx are both Home Routers with WiFi capability and therefore not designed to work as one unit, each wants to work alone (standalone) and neither can be managed by the controller, nor support fast roaming.

The controller (OC200) is a good device and can do what you require, however you need EAPs to be able to setup roaming.  These are different from standards Access Points in that they support the ability to be managed and can talk to eachother via the controller to allow the roaming to happen.   The EAP225 is the basic, most common model used and should suffice for what you need, thankfully they are very reasonably priced.

The good thing is the LS1005G will likely be OK for you to get started, you do not need a switch par say to just have WiFi Roaming..   The only reason you may want to later update the swith is

1.  POE Support.  Pass power to the APs over the one cable

2. Ability to manage the ports individually.

But honestly.. likely not an issue at the moment for you

I would set this up as below.    

AC400 or AC1200 connected to internet, LAN port 1 connected to the Switch.

Switch ports 2-8  connect EAP225 (or similiar) and the controller.   

Adopt the APs via the controller, enable fast roaming and set an SSID.. should be all good

In short.. sadly you need EAPs to get this working, the EAP225 or EAP610 are the base models but likely suitable for what you require.

Options