DNS for EAP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

DNS for EAP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
DNS for EAP
DNS for EAP
2023-07-05 13:07:09 - last edited 2023-07-28 10:52:52
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

is there a way to set DNS for selected EAP? I have dozens of EAP covering a large area. I want to set dns in a particular part of my network. I don't want to set it on my ER605 router.

Options
5 Reply
Re:DNS for EAP
2023-07-05 13:23:53

@Morris211 

DNS is a DHCP option, so it needs to be controlled by your DHCP server (which would typically be your ER605).

In Controller mode, there are override options, which would allow you to change the VLAN used by the SSID on that AP.  You could create multiple VLANs, each with their own IP subnet AND DNS SETTINGS, and then 'override' that VLAN on those APs where you want a custom DNS set.

Last though would be to use something like PiHole as your DHCP/DNS solution, you may be able to something there.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-07-06 14:53:21
seems fine at first. but this breaks my roaming feature as it replace the SSID.
Options
2023-07-06 15:23:11
Correct, you are re-IP ing when you switch between customized sSSID (different VLAN) AP and the standard config APs. The only standard way to update a client's DNS setting is via DHCP, which would require that you renew your lease every time a roaming event happens. There's no standard way to retain seamless roaming AND have custom DNS setting on a per AP basis. You would literally need to build an external custom DNS proxy that queries the Omada system to determine which AP the client is currently attached to and then choose a DNS resolver IP based on that info. The delay added as a result would likely result in a negative client experience. Maybe there's a better way to solve this problem than with the path you have chosen? If only we knew what the problem was...
Options
2023-07-07 00:05:47

@d0ugmac1 

I've been experimenting setting static IP on my EAP as it has the option of setting DNS. I haven't been able to make it work yet. Changing eap IP even with the IP er605 give it to makes my router disconnected to my omada controller.

Options
2023-07-07 00:20:12
Let me know when you want to share the 'why' behind having some APs on DNS1 and others on DNS2.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 652

Replies: 5

Related Articles