POE150S - LAN in faulty?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

POE150S - LAN in faulty?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
POE150S - LAN in faulty?
POE150S - LAN in faulty?
2023-07-13 09:11:35 - last edited 2023-08-22 09:47:17
Model: TL-POE150S  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Unknown

Hi,

I have a Reolink 811A security camera that is powered via POE, using a TP-Link POE150S.

• Day 1: Things worked fine. Router lights on the LAN port lit up when plugged in from the POE adapter, and I could connect to the camera via the Reolink app without issue. The camera also displayed under LAN devices on the router page.
  • Day 2: Connectivity was dropping out every couple of minutes... up and down all day.
  • Day 3: Can no longer connect to the camera, and I have no light on the router LAN port(s) to indicate data transmission. No longer displays under LAN devices on the router page.

The camera is powered without issue, functions normally, lights up when detecting presence at night, and is saving video to the SD card without issue (I have removed the SD card and checked it on my PC and can view all the video files).

However, I have now not been able to connect to the camera remotely in almost 20 days.

I have tried 3 different cables, and all 4 LAN ports on the router with no change.

The LAN ports do not light up anymore when connected via the POE adapter.

I have tested the cable(s) between my PC and the router, and this works perfectly fine.

I am kinda looking at the POE adapter now, and wondering if the LAN in port is faulty.
Has anyone had a similar issue, or is this kind of thing a common occurence?

Is there any method of testing this to determine whether it's faulty or if the issue lies somewhere else?

Thanks for your time.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:POE150S - LAN in faulty?-Solution
2023-07-14 02:11:57 - last edited 2023-07-14 03:43:17

Hi @Ezk666 

Welcome to the community!

From your description, I suspect that this is a cable issue. As you mentioned, you've swapped with different cables so far. But can you share the length of the cable you use?

The power can supply stably which means the PoE controller works fine on the POE150S, yet can you try a 3ft Ethernet cable for a few days and check if there is any issue? This is to verify or test the LAN controller inside the device. I cannot rule out a bad controller inside the device. Possibly.

On your router, do you experience the LAN(port) issue on your other devices? You can do a test as well.

In the end, if you have tried them, and the issue persists, you can contact our support team or your retailer about this problem. A warranty should be done.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-27 05:28:01 - last edited 2023-08-28 01:33:30

@Clive_A - Tested another POE with the same result, and liaising with Reolink support we determined it to 100% be a camera fault.
The camera was replaced under warranty and the new one works perfectly fine!

Thanks for offering your time and assistance. :)

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
2023-07-14 02:11:57 - last edited 2023-07-14 03:43:17

Hi @Ezk666 

Welcome to the community!

From your description, I suspect that this is a cable issue. As you mentioned, you've swapped with different cables so far. But can you share the length of the cable you use?

The power can supply stably which means the PoE controller works fine on the POE150S, yet can you try a 3ft Ethernet cable for a few days and check if there is any issue? This is to verify or test the LAN controller inside the device. I cannot rule out a bad controller inside the device. Possibly.

On your router, do you experience the LAN(port) issue on your other devices? You can do a test as well.

In the end, if you have tried them, and the issue persists, you can contact our support team or your retailer about this problem. A warranty should be done.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:POE150S - LAN in faulty?
2023-07-14 02:50:47

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the reply, Clive. 

Do you mean trying a 3ft cable between the POE and the router? I hope so, because it's not feasible to test camera to POE without removing it from the wall outside. 

All 3 cables I've tried have been 1m length. 

It just makes no sense to me that it'd work one day, be intermittent the next day, then completely stop working the next day.

Regarding my router, I've tried all 4 LAN ports with all 3 cables and have encountered the same issue of no connectivity to the camera.

The LAN ports and all 3 cables are working normally if I connect my PC directly to the router... Which is what has led me to considering the POE box to be the issue. 

Options
2023-07-14 02:57:51 - last edited 2023-07-17 06:42:13

Hi @Ezk666 

Like I said it could be a bad unit. Based on my experience, I've been working for several years and it's the first time I see this weird symptom. It could be bad soldering. When you use or move it, it's off the PCB. But not the LAN failure on POE150S.

You can contact the retailer for further assistance on RMA.

Options
2023-07-14 08:06:11

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the advice.
I am trying to source another POE to test first... I will report back on my findings when I can, whatever they are. yes

Options
2023-08-27 05:28:01 - last edited 2023-08-28 01:33:30

@Clive_A - Tested another POE with the same result, and liaising with Reolink support we determined it to 100% be a camera fault.
The camera was replaced under warranty and the new one works perfectly fine!

Thanks for offering your time and assistance. :)

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 505

Replies: 5

Related Articles