EAP245 Performance: does usage of VLAN make it worse?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-04 19:59:27 - last edited 2023-08-22 19:44:12
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.4 Build 20211021 Rel. 57494

Hi, I have three SSID with three separate VLANs: one for me, one for guests with portal (using guest-net setting from Omada), and one for guests without portal (guest firewall rules set on the router, on Omada only client isolation, using access control.)

I've read an amazon review (in German), where it says that usage of VLAN brings the speed down. I feel that the connection using 2G net is slow, I hear about disruption during video conferences, and I'm wondering if it's because of VLANs.

I could also just use one untagged VLAN for Omada wifi,  set all the necessary rules for three SSIDs on Omada regarding wifi using access control (I found it very nicely made: Unifi doesn't have this), and for clients on ethernet connection, use another vlan, so that they wont be visible from wifi clients and vice versa (it's OK for me if ethernet clients can see each other), if it's going to improve the performance. It's not that I got a lot of devices, that I need three subnets, I did it because I'm used to it from Unifi.

I would appreciate your suggestion. If it's not going to make much difference, I would prefer to keep it as it is. In all, it's working, and disruption might be because of other reasons (e.g. using wifi too far from the AP.) But if it is generally known that the performance is better without vlans, then I would get rid of vlans.

p.s. just for info, my setting is: ISP Router: Fritzbox 7530ax, Firewall: OpenWRT on Fritzbox 4020, Omada Controller 4.4.6 on Raspberry pi 4B (2GB RAM), Internet contract VDSL100 from Deutsche Telekom.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP245 Performance: does usage of VLAN make it worse? -Solution
2023-08-07 06:57:41 - last edited 2023-08-22 19:44:12

Hi @doremifajb 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I don't think so. If you understand it from the OSI model, 802.1Q VLAN  is not loading too much information to the packet. It's a very mature tech that has pretty much zero negative impact on wireless usage. I am not sure how that customer got that conclusion, probably due to his network environment or setup. But I'd like to believe the fact.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:EAP245 Performance: does usage of VLAN make it worse? -Solution
2023-08-07 06:57:41 - last edited 2023-08-22 19:44:12

Hi @doremifajb 

I don't think so. If you understand it from the OSI model, 802.1Q VLAN  is not loading too much information to the packet. It's a very mature tech that has pretty much zero negative impact on wireless usage. I am not sure how that customer got that conclusion, probably due to his network environment or setup. But I'd like to believe the fact.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:EAP245 Performance: does usage of VLAN make it worse?
2023-08-22 19:44:05

@Clive_A 

Thank you very much for your opinion. Then I'm going to keep the config. In all, it's working. One difficulty is that I use an old macbook, and ping drops often, esp on 2G. But then when I try it with my android, it doesn't drop like with mac, so I would guess EAPs are doing indeed OK...

Options
Re:EAP245 Performance: does usage of VLAN make it worse?
2023-08-23 01:15:10

Hi @doremifajb 

2.4GHz is not clean anymore as tech advances. There isn't much we can do with it but create 5GHz, and 6GHz and get more channels opened up for the technology today.

If possible, your devices support 5GHz, preferably use 5GHz instead.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 413

Replies: 3

Related Articles