Help on installing a new mesh system with a few requirements

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-28 15:05:09
Model: EAP650   Deco X20   TL-SG2428P  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there!

Sorry for my English as its not my primary language 😉

I need some help on the devices i should buy to install a new network. I have read a lot about mesh system and it seems what i would like to use, ex.:https://www.tp-link.com/ae/blog/1296/tp-link-deco-mesh-vs-easymesh-vs-onemesh-vs-omada-mesh-what-s-the-difference-/

https://www.tp-link.com/mesh-wifi/

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1794/

I have an ISP router with 4 gigabit ports and WiFi 2.4/5Ghz with support for guest networks. I need to replace the switch that currently feeds the lan ports in several rooms and add 4 spots for WiFi inside the house and 1 spot for WiFi outside the house. I have LAN ports and eletricity on the rooms i'm goint to add the WiFi spots, but i can also use PoE to simplify the instalation.

One company advised me to buy:

TL-SG2428P - JetStream 28-Port Gigabit Smart Switch with 24-Port PoE+

EAP650 - AX3000 Ceiling Mount WiFi 6 Access Point

EAP650-Outdoor - AX3000 Indoor/Outdoor WiFi 6 Access Point

OC200 - Omada Hardware Cloud Controller

I have some questions that i need help with:
- The easy way to have a mesh WiFi - a unified WiFi so that when i go from room to room i can automatically connect to the same WiFi name and password - i think this is called roaming?. Ex.: Deco X20 video shows me what i think is what i need on this regard: https://static-product.tp-link.com/deco-x50-poe_v1/img/onemesh.mp4 - However i can't understand if the EAP650 can work the same way because the video doesn't show's that: https://static-product.tp-link.com/eap650_v1/img/Seamless-Roaming.mp4

- Use the same network and the ISP router, and for this i believe i need to use the WiFi spots as Access Points, however from what i understand toi use Deco's i need to have one Deco as router and the other on'es as access point, and this would break "having the same network as the router ISP". I primarily need to have the same network as the ISP router, so that i can connect and use IPTV boxes from the ISP, because if its a diferent network from the ISP router, the IPTV boxes won't work.

- Can i use the same WiFi SSID and password from the ISP router on the other WiFi spots, or should i use a different one?

Thanks in advance!

NOTE: I'm goint to publish this post on the other related TP-LINK forums

Options
3 Reply
Re:Help on installing a new mesh system with a few requirements
2023-08-28 16:33:47

@FCTS 

Hey

Just to clarify something for you   MESH and SEAMLESS ROAMING as different things, I think you may have them mixed up

MESH is the ability of AP1 to talk to AP2 via WiFi (no cable connection required).  MESH is simply the ability of APs to talk via WiFi rather than over a LAN cable, if you have LAN cables ran to all your APs, you dont need or want MESH.

SEAMLESS ROAMING is what i think you mean when you say "mesh".   Seamless Roaming is the ability of the APs to move a device from AP1 to AP2 and back without disconnecting, basically all APs work as one large network.   This is regardless of how the APs are physically connected (MESH or LAN)

All the EAP range (EAP650 included) can support seamless roaming, they just require a controller (oc200 for example) to handle the process, this is a very basic feature and is available.

The Deco and Omada range as VERY different, Deco is home grade and Omada business, best not mixing them together.

Deco doesnt need to be in router mode, you can switch it to Access Point mode and use your ISP router instead.  This is an option

Whatever way you set this up, disable the ISP router WiFi as it wont work with the Deco / Omada .   Even if you give them the same name and password, it wont roam for you as the ISP router cant talk to the deco / omada system controller.   If using a total solution like Deco or Omada, disable the ISP WiFi

Options
2023-08-29 15:38:53 - last edited 2023-08-29 15:41:18

@Philbert 

Thank you very much for your help!

David-TP also helped me with some info about the Deco units, and with your help i understood that what i need isn't mesh but seamless roaming, i was mixing them up!

I don't really need advanced network customizations, its for a 2 floor house, mainly open. My main requirements is that WiFi works well and stable, with good internet speeds and i can achieve a good WiFi distance. Separated SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5Ghz and configuration and management control via web GUI are not issues.

But if i may, i would like to ask some more questions about the Omada system:

- So i can basically connect several EAP650, each with it's own lan cable, directly to the switch and enjoy seamless WiFi, maybe using them just as acess points? The switch is connected to the ISP router and we don't mind having the ISP router's WiFi on with a different name or turning it off.

- If this would be possible, with OC200 i can managem them all from one place, including via internet or mobile app?

- Does PoE works with any standard lan cable or do i need some type of special cable?

- Do you know the max cable distance between the PoE Switch and the PoE EAP?

- Is there any way to know the distances the WiFi signal reaches (+-)?

- We are not going to install the EAP650 on the ceilings but on the walls or on top of furniture, and the company advised me to use EAP650-OUTDOOR inside the house instead of the EAP650 because they say that EAP650-OUTDOOR is vertically installed with horizontal WiFi distribution signal, instead of the EAP650 witch just sends the WiFi signal down. Don't they both have omni directional antennas so they can emmit WiFi signal all arround the EAP?

- Do the EAP650-OUTDOOR have really a better signal WiFi boost compared to EAP650? If this is true i may think in using the EAP650-OUTDOOR indoors, but if i don't need them i would prefer the EAP650 because they are much smaller and can be connected to a standard outlet if needed, while EAP650-OUTDOOR only uses PoE. I really need to better understand if one is really much better on WiFi signal, stability and speeds than the other...

- Are the EAP650, EAP650-OUTDOOR and TL-SG2428P the better options or do you recommend something better, to mainly have better WiFi distance and stability?

Thanks again!

Options
2023-08-29 18:56:41

@FCTS 

But if i may, i would like to ask some more questions about the Omada system:

- So i can basically connect several EAP650, each with it's own lan cable, directly to the switch and enjoy seamless WiFi, maybe using them just as acess points? The switch is connected to the ISP router and we don't mind having the ISP router's WiFi on with a different name or turning it off.

**TRUE. I WOULD JUST GET THE SG2210P THOUGH...ENOUGH PORTS AND POWER FOR YOUR APPLICATION

- If this would be possible, with OC200 i can managem them all from one place, including via internet or mobile app?

**TRUE

- Does PoE works with any standard lan cable or do i need some type of special cable?

**WORKS WITH STANDARD CAT5E OR CAT6 CABLE WIRED AS EIA568B.  POE USES ALL 8 CONDUCTORS.

- Do you know the max cable distance between the PoE Switch and the PoE EAP?

**100M (328')

- Is there any way to know the distances the WiFi signal reaches (+-)?

**IT IS A BLACK ART AND DEPENDS AS MUCH ON THE PHYSICAL SURROUNDINGS AS THE ELECTRONIC SURROUNDINGS

- We are not going to install the EAP650 on the ceilings but on the walls or on top of furniture, and the company advised me to use EAP650-OUTDOOR inside the house instead of the EAP650 because they say that EAP650-OUTDOOR is vertically installed with horizontal WiFi distribution signal, instead of the EAP650 witch just sends the WiFi signal down. Don't they both have omni directional antennas so they can emmit WiFi signal all arround the EAP?

**YOU WILL NOT NOTICE A DIFFERENCE IN PERFORMANCE IN A TYPICAL INDOOR ROOM REGARDLESS OF THE INSTALLATION ORIENTATION OF A 650.  I WOULDN'T SPLURGE ON THE OUTDOOR UNITS AS THEY ARE NOT NEEDED FOR YOUR APPLICATION.

- Do the EAP650-OUTDOOR have really a better signal WiFi boost compared to EAP650? If this is true i may think in using the EAP650-OUTDOOR indoors, but if i don't need them i would prefer the EAP650 because they are much smaller and can be connected to a standard outlet if needed, while EAP650-OUTDOOR only uses PoE. I really need to better understand if one is really much better on WiFi signal, stability and speeds than the other...

**AS ABOVE.

- Are the EAP650, EAP650-OUTDOOR and TL-SG2428P the better options or do you recommend something better, to mainly have better WiFi distance and stability?

** YOU COULD CONSIDER THE EAP615-WALL WHICH IS DESIGNED FOR WALL MOUNT AND THE TL-SG2210P WHICH SAVES YOU $ AND NO FAN NOISE.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options