When enabled (or disable) the option "Application Optimized Routing"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-08-06 15:10:08 - last edited 2021-08-21 03:46:46
Region : others

Model : TL-R470T+

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I use the router TL-R470T+ with two WANs connections. (both internet cable connection)

My idea is that this two WANs work together (without a connection that is still only as backup). With two simultaneous WANs working together, downloads from torrents are made much more quickly.

For this to work, I need to deselect the option "Enable Application Optimized Routing"

My question: when disabling this option I can affect the stability/speed of my internet connection? When reading about the option of "Enable Application Optimized Routing" it says: (...) avoids abnormity caused by forwarding the data packets of this application via different WAN ports.".

This soud pretty important! Is not problematic to leave this option disabled?

Thanks a lot,
Options
3 Reply
Re:When enabled (or disable) the option "Application Optimized Routing"
2013-08-08 11:31:02 - last edited 2021-08-21 03:46:46
Anybody?
Options
Re:When enabled (or disable) the option "Application Optimized Routing"
2013-08-30 17:10:03 - last edited 2021-08-21 03:46:46
when uncheck this have issue connecting to FTP.

Reboot wrote

Region : others

Model : TL-R470T+

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I use the router TL-R470T+ with two WANs connections. (both internet cable connection)

My idea is that this two WANs work together (without a connection that is still only as backup). With two simultaneous WANs working together, downloads from torrents are made much more quickly.

For this to work, I need to deselect the option "Enable Application Optimized Routing"

My question: when disabling this option I can affect the stability/speed of my internet connection? When reading about the option of "Enable Application Optimized Routing" it says: (...) avoids abnormity caused by forwarding the data packets of this application via different WAN ports.".

This soud pretty important! Is not problematic to leave this option disabled?

Thanks a lot,
Options
Application Optimized Routing
2014-01-15 14:26:06 - last edited 2021-08-21 03:46:46
Reboot,

There are two potential problems I am aware of, but they should be relatively minor.

The TCP protocol expects packets to arrive in sequential order. If you use two or more WAN interfaces that it is possible that packets will arrive to TCP on the far end out of order. I won't explain all the TCP flows, but essentially this can cause the overall throughput to drop due to thinking the intermediate network is being overrun with data.

In your case what it would probably mean is that if you "bond" two 5 Mbps WAN interfaces you may only get 8 Mbps of actual throughput.

The other issue is that your web browser makes multiple TCP connection requests to a web server. If you are using two or more WANs this will look to the web server like you are coming from two different IP address. Some applications, such as cPanel, assume that if your IP address changes there is a potential security risk and will require you to logon again. The way to get around this type of application restriction is to code a Policy Based Routing rule in your TP-Link router. In essence you will tell your router than whenever I connect to IP address xx.xx.xx.xx only use WAN1.:cool:;)

Reboot wrote

[COLOR=#000000]Region : others

This sounds pretty important! Is not problematic to leave this option disabled?

Thanks a lot,
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 10425

Replies: 3

Related Articles