Votes

[FEATURE REQUEST]: ER8411 - add LAN LAG (Link Aggregation) feature

Votes

[FEATURE REQUEST]: ER8411 - add LAN LAG (Link Aggregation) feature

52 Reply
Re:[FEATURE REQUEST]: ER8411 - add LAN LAG (Link Aggregation) feature
2024-08-06 17:49:57

@Decolingo Based on some of the replies I've seen on these forums, including in this thread, I'll be moving to a competitor when the time comes, as well. They're offering much more for similar price points now.

Options
2024-08-07 01:48:45

Hi @Decolingo 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Decolingo wrote

@Alex_UTS, I also want support for static LAGs (or ideally LACP) on a 2.5G-capable TP Link router (like maybe the upcoming ER-7412-M2).

Use case is pretty simple: Existing networks with 1gig WAN ports where I'm moving ISP service to 1.5gig or more. The router can take advantage of the extra bandwidth via its 2.5G port, but I can't share that downstream to the rest of the network unless 1) I upgrade all downstream hardware with 2.5G ports or 2) I plug everything into the router. Neither apporach works as there just aren't enough ports on the router -- that's why I have a bunch of (TPLink) switches. That's aside from PoE considerations, LAG for my multiport WAPs, and so on.

Your competition does support this. Ubiquiti has it, Cisco has it, others have it. Sometimes it's just static LAGs and not LACP, but even static LAGs are better than nothing.

Availability of the LAG or LACP support in a multi-gigabit router (ideally 2.5G for cost reasons) will determine if my routers get replaced with newer TP Link units, or if I have to find something else and live with the reduced one-stop-management I get from Omada today.

Just a little reminder, Link Aggregation does not mean you will get an add-up speed on the Internet. 2.5G WAN, 2*1Gbps LAN, they would mostly utilize 1Gbps. It is layer 4 LAG which can aggregate the speed to 2Gbps.

All of the products we have now are layer 2 and 3 based. No intention for layer 4 yet. The LAG is under market investigation.

Please add a vote then.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-08-07 02:47:53

Clive_A wrote

Hi @Decolingo 

Decolingo wrote

@Alex_UTS, I also want support for static LAGs (or ideally LACP) on a 2.5G-capable TP Link router (like maybe the upcoming ER-7412-M2).

Use case is pretty simple: Existing networks with 1gig WAN ports where I'm moving ISP service to 1.5gig or more. The router can take advantage of the extra bandwidth via its 2.5G port, but I can't share that downstream to the rest of the network unless 1) I upgrade all downstream hardware with 2.5G ports or 2) I plug everything into the router. Neither apporach works as there just aren't enough ports on the router -- that's why I have a bunch of (TPLink) switches. That's aside from PoE considerations, LAG for my multiport WAPs, and so on.

Your competition does support this. Ubiquiti has it, Cisco has it, others have it. Sometimes it's just static LAGs and not LACP, but even static LAGs are better than nothing.

Availability of the LAG or LACP support in a multi-gigabit router (ideally 2.5G for cost reasons) will determine if my routers get replaced with newer TP Link units, or if I have to find something else and live with the reduced one-stop-management I get from Omada today.

Just a little reminder, Link Aggregation does not mean you will get an add-up speed on the Internet. 2.5G WAN, 2*1Gbps LAN, they would mostly utilize 1Gbps. It is layer 4 LAG which can aggregate the speed to 2Gbps.

All of the products we have now are layer 2 and 3 based. No intention for layer 4 yet. The LAG is under market investigation.

Please add a vote then.

@Clive_A I have no idea what you are talking about. But then again, neither do you. Protocol layers have no relevancy to absolute bandwidth.

My post stands. Thanks for attempting to play.

Options
2024-08-07 03:18:28

Hi @Decolingo 

Decolingo wrote

Clive_A wrote

Hi @Decolingo 

Decolingo wrote

Please add a vote then.

@Clive_A I have no idea what you are talking about. But then again, neither do you. Protocol layers have no relevancy to absolute bandwidth.

My post stands. Thanks for attempting to play.

When you aggregate a computer that has two 1Gb NICs and plug them into the router under the assumption it supports LAG, it will not work and you'll see what I mean.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-08-07 03:38:27

@Clive_A we're talking link aggregation between routers and switches. Not sure why you'd want to stick two NICs in a single PC -- are you trying to stream a 20 4K movies at once on a single computer? Or conduct some pointless "speed test"?

If you run a hotel, a campground, or something similar, 1.5 or 3gig from your ISP isn't for bragging rights at the bar, it's important for your customers. No link aggregation support in TPLink routers is either hardware-limited, or a gambit hoping customers will upgrade all their downstream equipment to multi-gig. Since the company's market positioning is largely based on price, that's a fool's errand.

TPLink makes quality hardware and has solid software -- a new concept for the pricepoint for sure. I'm a paying customer with a real need -- I even use TPLink equipment at home. If you want to argue with someone for the sake or arguing, find someone else -- you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Options
2024-08-07 04:04:54 - last edited 2024-08-07 04:06:25

Hi @Decolingo 

Decolingo wrote

@Clive_A we're talking link aggregation between routers and switches. Not sure why you'd want to stick two NICs in a single PC -- are you trying to stream a 20 4K movies at once on a single computer? Or conduct some pointless "speed test"?

If you run a hotel, a campground, or something similar, 1.5 or 3gig from your ISP isn't for bragging rights at the bar, it's important for your customers. No link aggregation support in TPLink routers is either hardware-limited, or a gambit hoping customers will upgrade all their downstream equipment to multi-gig. Since the company's market positioning is largely based on price, that's a fool's errand.

TPLink makes quality hardware and has solid software -- a new concept for the pricepoint for sure. I'm a paying customer with a real need -- I even use TPLink equipment at home. If you want to argue with someone for the sake or arguing, find someone else -- you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

I am giving a way which previously people suggested. A user case.

And I am explaining that even if we add it, it is gonna be L2 and L3 and for some people, you don't see what you expected results. A lot in this thread are expecting the aggregated speed. Not like your case. Like what happened to the load balance where people thought it would add up the speed.

There is a misconception in people that they think LAG is gonna be a performance booster to the network speed. 

NVM. I am just saying. I don't wanna explain the LAG either and it's gonna be a long story. Just take my reply as a joke. Apologize for my ignorance. But I am still not sure why you are so aggressive.

I do hope everyone is as tech-savvy as you are. It would save me a lot of explanations.

BTW, I previously replied to this about the timeline. Did not get it pinned timely. It is NOT scheduled this year. I'll leave this thread open and not gonna reply to this until I have anything new.

Options
RE:[FEATURE REQUEST]: ER8411 - add LAN LAG (Link Aggregation) feature
2024-08-21 11:46:05
ASAP for the ER8411 Please
Options
2024-08-22 13:28:51

ER707-M2 

Add this model to the list that needs LAG.  

Would be a fantastic feature upgrade!

Options
3 weeks ago
I support this since I have similar requirement
Alex Kota Kinabalu, Sabah Malaysia
Options
a week ago
Hi Clive, I do not necessarily require L4 LAG but the ER8411 needs at least L2 or L3 LACP/LAG capabilities because it needs to be able to aggregate multiple connections for both data traffic (Layer 2) and routing traffic (Layer 3). This ensures that if one connection fails, the others can take over, keeping my network running smoothly. With eight (8) 1 gbe connections it would be nice to have single fault tolerance by splitting my connection to several switches. for instance two port LAG to one switch and then two port LAG to another switch. Obviously the router is a single point of failure but at least with the switches L3 i can set them up with intervlan routing.
Options

Voters 43

+ 39 Voters

Tags

LAG