DNS settings apparently being ignored by EAP 225 Outdoor

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-11 13:46:02
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.1.0 Build 20220926 Rel. 62456(4555)

How is the information in field "hostname" in TP-Link EAP225 Outdoor > Status > Client being derived?

The EAP seems to ignore its DNS settings completely and picks up information that is not totally wrong, but certainly not in line wit _DNS_!

Situation:

EAP225 is connected via PoE and Switch to Fritzbox 6590 (Cable. 192.168.178.1 / 255.255.255.0) as main Internet Access Router.

Name resolution is setup on Fritzbox and working when accessed from client via i.e. nslookup and server = 192.168.178.1

EAP is configured via Management > IP Settings > (x) Static with primary and secondary DNS pointing at 192.168.178.1 (Fritzbox)

What is being picked up by the EAP instead is "Netatmo-Presence-ghexhex" for my Netatmo WLAN cameras - the primary reason for installing the EAP225 Outdoor is to "boost" the outdoor WLAN coverage to make sure all cameras have sufficient signal strength.

The value i.e. "Netatmo-Presence-gfb165d" is the default Netatmo device name in the initial configuration (after factory reset, when not change during installation.

My suspicion is, that the EAP ignore his DNS settings for the purpose of populating the client information and instead polls the local network via a different protocol (Netbios?!?)

Any clues how this can be changed?

Options
1 Reply
Re:DNS settings apparently being ignored by EAP 225 Outdoor
2023-09-11 20:40:34

@guidoising 

I think it would be very unusual if TP-Link used DNS for that. The DNS name of a device can be quite different than its hostname even if you take out from it the domain name. Besides, there are tons of local networks without their own DNS servers.

To my knowledge, the common practice for APs and WiFi routers is to take hostnames from client DHCP requests. However a DHCP request may, but does not have to, include the client’s hostname. Also some devices may be configure with static addresses. All WiFi routers I’ve owned made it possible to override or enter hostnames. When I used my EAPs without an Omada controller, I was too disappointed that it was not possible to do that in EAPs. Fortunately a similar feature is available in the controller where the is a field called Username or just Name. That field is initially populated with a hostname or a MAC address, if the hostname is not provided, and can be overwritten.

Kris K
Options