Connecting IoT devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Connecting IoT devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Connecting IoT devices
Connecting IoT devices
2023-11-04 07:32:25 - last edited 2023-11-04 07:33:54
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I need to connect an IoT device to one of my WLANs. That works, as it often does as follows. Contact must be made with that device via Bluetooth from my iPhone and then networks (all that are visible) are searched for, one is selected and the password must be entered. That doesn't work for me (anymore). It's not my phone (or that device in question) I did the procedure on a network elsewhere and it worked fine.
So I think there is something in the settings of my Router or Controller that is blocking the Bluetooth connection protocol. I don't know what that could be. Something in the firewall? Can someone help me?
Router is Omada ER605 controller OC200
Thanks

Options
15 Reply
Re:Connecting IoT devices
2023-11-04 12:57:20

@Lange 

There is no Bluetooth in Omada/TPLink land, that is strictly between the IOT device and your phone.

It's more likely your local network is configured in a way that the IOT device cannot join.  Try creating a temporary 'Open' SSID and joining it that way, if that works, then you need to find a common set of encryption/authentication protocols that work for both your IOT device and the rest of your network's needs.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-11-04 18:57:22

@d0ugmac1 

The problem is that the IoT device does not 'see' any network via the iPhone. I suspect there is a setting in the router/controller that prevents any device from connecting in this way.
I don't know what setting is involved, but I can imagine that establishing a connection in this way is considered hazardous.

Whether those settings are used or not in the Omada controller is unknown to me. And not at all how that is set up.
Consider port blocking or blocking MQTT protocols, for example. And more settings. Hence the question.

Options
2023-11-04 20:18:03

@Lange 

Where’s your WLAN?

Kris K
Options
2023-11-04 23:46:10

@Lange 

What is the IOT device in question?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-11-05 05:46:18

@d0ugmac1 

The device that I am currently having a problem with in my network is a Davis Airlink.

Options
2023-11-05 05:47:21

@KJK 
? here. 

Options
2023-11-05 11:25:21

@Lange

I don't see any WLAN access point in your post. You mentioned ER605 and OC200 only. There is no Wi-Fi in those devices. So, do you have an Wi-Fi access point in your setup?

What you described in the post looks to me like using a cell phone to configure Wi-Fi on a IoF device. That's a very common way of configuring IoT devices. The connection between the cell phone and IoT device is Bluetooth. That's how far Bluetooth goes. It does not go to your router or controller so they cannot block it. The issue you have is purely Wi-Fi.

Kris K
Options
2023-11-05 12:08:56 - last edited 2023-11-05 12:10:25

@KJK 

The reason I haven't listed EAPs is twofold. On the one hand, because the problem is that it is not possible to perform the initial setup via Bluetooth. At least not with the settings as they currently exist on the network. I assume this is a default Omada setting for security reasons for the reason already stated.

On the other hand, because it doesn't really matter to me which EAP is connected to, but even more so that it doesn't get to that point due to the described limitation.

My phone is connected to the WLAN. I don't know with which EAP.

I am now certain that the problem is not with a specific EAP but with a security setting.

This morning I set up the name and password of one of my WLANs at a friend's guest network. There I was then able to connect the IoT device neatly. The network there is equipped with a simple consumer router.

Provided with that information, the device in question was able to connect perfectly to my “Omada” WLAN when I returned home. The initial setup was no longer necessary. The Bluetooth process was, as it were, skipped.

So to fully understand this problem, I am still looking for the settings that make it impossible to connect via Bluetooth in the future.

Options
2023-11-05 12:37:12

@Lange 

There is nothing in your router or controller that would prevent your IoT device from establishing a Wi-Fi connection with your WLAN. They do not stand between the IoT device and the access points. Also, your IoT device does not interface with your WLAN through the cell phone. The IoT device uses its Wi-Fi adapter to interface with some access point directly. Maybe your IoT device wasn’t simply in the range of your access points at that time.

Kris K
Options
2023-11-05 22:17:25 - last edited 2023-11-05 22:17:51

Ok, Kris I heard you. Apparently I'm not explaining it well.

In the meantime, I believe that a setting in the controller does play a role. Connecting via a non-Omada router (which is located in a different room) was quick and, as normal with this protocol, simple. All existing surrounding networks were found. While in my own environment (Omada Networks), within 2 meters of an EAP650, zero nothing network was found. So that's where the process got stuck.
For the record, I understand the underlying safety idea very well. Which configuration setting is involved here?

The iPhone was connected to different networks in various attempts to achieve results.

So that I understand and not be confronted with this problem next time, my question remains.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 730

Replies: 15

Related Articles