Some ports not allowing network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-12-04 14:38:33
Model: TL-SF1016D  
Hardware Version: V7
Firmware Version: ?

Hi, I have a TL-SF1016D running off a Netgear RAX70 which for some unknown the switch loses port connections. In the beginning I had 10 devices plugged in and all worked fine, but then for some reason I lost some of them, I found thst if I switched the connectors around I could get more devices working. Has anyone got any ideas? I am a newbie when it comes to networking.

Tread

Options
4 Reply
Re:Some ports not allowing network
2023-12-05 02:48:54 - last edited 2023-12-08 06:01:40

Hi @Tread 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Is the cable from the router to the switch prerouted in the wall? If so, can you move the switch to the router and test with a 3ft cable?

Tread wrote

I found thst if I switched the connectors around I could get more devices working. Has anyone got any ideas? I am a newbie when it comes to networking.

I'd recommend you check the interface LED. What's the status when your network is down?

When reading this, I am declined inclined to think this might be an issue with your connection. Do you verify that there is no loop in your switch?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-12-05 17:52:21

@Clive_A  Thank you for your reply. as I said I am a newbie when it comes to networking. I have never heard the term "loop"  when refering to switches.The interface lights tend to be on solidly until I turn the attached item then it starts to flash showing activity. There are some that just stay solidly lit and do nothing. The switch was working fine for the first few days but after that it's sort of hit & miss. Do all leads to the switch have to be of the same quality ie all CAT5E or all CAT7 as the main input lead is, I do have a mixture of cables.

Thanks in advance.

Tread

Options
2023-12-06 01:22:14

Hi @Tread 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Tread wrote

@Clive_A  Thank you for your reply. as I said I am a newbie when it comes to networking. I have never heard the term "loop"  when refering to switches.The interface lights tend to be on solidly until I turn the attached item then it starts to flash showing activity. There are some that just stay solidly lit and do nothing. The switch was working fine for the first few days but after that it's sort of hit & miss. Do all leads to the switch have to be of the same quality ie all CAT5E or all CAT7 as the main input lead is, I do have a mixture of cables.

Thanks in advance.

Tread

I don't know how to explain the loop. In summary, it means that there is an Ethernet cable connected twice in the network causing the retransmit of traffic. Would be great for you to read Wikipedia which explains: Switching loop

If you don't know how to rule it out, start from the most basic, unplug everything, add the Ethernet cables one by one, and monitor the network traffic. When add this cable and the network shuts down, you should check the origin of this cable.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-12-06 11:24:58

@Clive_A  Thanks once again for your reply. I will do as you have said and see how it goes. Big thank you for your advice./

Tread.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 376

Replies: 4

Related Articles