ER605 Restore from different HW version

2023-12-14 13:12:53 - last edited 2023-12-18 06:55:38
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: V2.6_2.2.2 Build 20231017

I've been using an ER605 HW version 1.0 for a long time and I decided I needed to have another one on hand in case there was a failure. I got a replacement router, HW version 2.0, and was going to restore a backup from my old router to it. Restoring the configuration seemed to go fine, but after it rebooted it appeared to be working fine, but I can't get to the web interface to log in. I see the TP-link logo for a fraction of a second, and then it forwards to port 8443 and I got a "connection refused" error message. 

If I factory default it, I can get back in again.  How can I restore my configuration to a router that has a newer hardware version?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER605 Restore from different HW version-Solution
2023-12-15 05:58:47 - last edited 2023-12-18 06:55:38

Hi @Rick.Curl 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

No. You should not do that even you can import it.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/643394?replyId=1292722

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:ER605 Restore from different HW version-Solution
2023-12-15 05:58:47 - last edited 2023-12-18 06:55:38

Hi @Rick.Curl 

No. You should not do that even you can import it.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/643394?replyId=1292722

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ER605 Restore from different HW version
2023-12-15 13:58:51
Understood. Disappointing, but it does make sense. Thanks for the response. -Rick
Options
2023-12-18 06:55:32

Hi @Rick.Curl 

Rick.Curl wrote

Understood. Disappointing, but it does make sense. Thanks for the response. -Rick

TBH, it only frustrates those who don't use the controller. But you should not be frustrated or disappointed by this.

1. If you use a controller, the config can be applied to any gateway model. It only becomes a problem for standalone users.

2. Pick up most models on the market, they don't support cross-version backup import. That's a common practice.

Omada gateways mean to be user-friendly when you integrate Omada Controller in your network. It helps you migrate or move the device more easily. In standalone, it falls to the primitive way to manage. So, I don't think there should be any complaints in the standalone mode.

Configs are stored on the standalone device, unlike the controller where it keeps the parameters and can change according to the models. This is meant to be a selling point as well.

Options
2023-12-18 13:24:49

@Clive_A 

Understood.  Thanks for the additional info. 

One final question- Can I do a standalone backup from any hardware 1.x version and restore to any hardware 1.x version? Can I backup from any hardware 2.x version and restore to any 2.x version?

Options
2023-12-19 03:32:43

Hi @Rick.Curl 

Rick.Curl wrote

@Clive_A 

Understood.  Thanks for the additional info. 

One final question- Can I do a standalone backup from any hardware 1.x version and restore to any hardware 1.x version? Can I backup from any hardware 2.x version and restore to any 2.x version?

I bet you mean V1.6 <> V1.0?

V2.6 <> V2.0?

For the Omada router, if the first digit of the version is the same, it is the same version but made in different countries. Every hardware spec is the same on them.

Which means you can freely backup and restore from the V1.6 to V1.0 and vice versa. V2.6 to V2.0 and vice versa.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 282

Replies: 5

Related Articles