slow pppoe reconnect vs routing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-01-19 14:42:53
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.3

My ISP provider is randomly request for PPPoe termination - mainly due to dynamic dns update. 

When this happens (between every 24h-72h) , I see that the connection is dropped and the routing starts to work only after 4-5 minutes. I decreased all settings (online detection etc) but it didn't really help. To monitor the network, I installed a syslog agent, and there I found out that actually the reconnect happen quick (in 20s) but then somehow the routing is still not working for 2 more minutes. 

Here is a log: 

As you can see, the disconnect happened at 12:47:00. PPPoe re-established at 11 sec. later. Online detection shows online status at 12:47:20. 

The routing started at 12:50:00 exactly, so 2 and half min. later. Can anyone explain why? (there are no relevant logs after this timestamp)

Options
5 Reply
Re:slow pppoe reconnect vs routing
2024-01-21 02:01:56

@pekseg just seems to be a sequence of service booting up while dhcp/routing are not high priority. So even your wan is up, you gotta wait for other lan services to boot up. Then NAT gets to work.

You might get a flagship model and compare that speed if still under the return window.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-01-21 12:18:17

@Tedd404 

thanks for your comment. I'm just wondering about this "slowness" as there was no power cycle/reboot or such, it was just a WAN disconnect/reconnect. 

All services shall be intact, I suspect that some timer is waiting for an unnecessary period to enable the NAT again (or a reload of rules? )

All my previous routers (even a much "weaker" devices) managed this reconnect within 10-20seconds. 

Options
2024-01-22 08:26:19

Hi @pekseg 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

ER605 is not a powerful device and it is a dual-core device if I don't recall it wrong.

So you mentioned two things here, DDNS update and PPPoE termination. I need to determine what might relate to the problem you described here.

If you don't have DDNS, disable it, will this still connect slow, your PPPoE WAN?

I think it might not relate to the DDNS, so let's check this first.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-01-22 18:57:29

@Clive_A 

I think I didn't mention DDNS at all, but just to be clear: I'm using DDNS, but imho DDNS has nothing to do with my issue. 

Even if its a less powerful device, a simple pppoe reconnect shall not cause such a long delay. Again, I suspect that NAT rules reload or in general WAN IP change detected slowly, and some maintenance tasks are running (or scheduled) less frequently (or maybe direct notification among services is not working well) but this is just my speculation. 

Options
2024-01-24 06:16:59 - last edited 2024-01-24 06:20:16

Hi @pekseg 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

pekseg wrote

@Clive_A 

I think I didn't mention DDNS at all, but just to be clear: I'm using DDNS, but imho DDNS has nothing to do with my issue. 

You said DDNS in the OP.

pekseg wrote

My ISP provider is randomly request for PPPoe termination - mainly due to dynamic dns update. 

When this happens (between every 24h-72h) , I see that the connection is dropped and the routing starts to work only after 4-5 minutes. I decreased all settings (online detection etc) but it didn't really help. To monitor the network, I installed a syslog agent, and there I found out that actually the reconnect happen quick (in 20s) but then somehow the routing is still not working for 2 more minutes. 

Here is a log: 

As you can see, the disconnect happened at 12:47:00. PPPoe re-established at 11 sec. later. Online detection shows online status at 12:47:20. 

The routing started at 12:50:00 exactly, so 2 and half min. later. Can anyone explain why? (there are no relevant logs after this timestamp)

In the lab test, at most, the reestablish of PPPoE would take 30 seconds to 1 minute. It takes a few seconds, usually.

However, in your case, it takes 2 minutes. Here are my questions:

1. Have you tried Wireshark and see how the ISP server respond to your PPPoE? Is the server too slow to respond or it is the router? Which is the reason/cause you are looking for.

2. Do you have a complicated setup with multiple rules? ACL and NAT-related rules. If you have, how many of them?

Are you okay to share your backup with us privately if a case is created?

Update:

3. I request the full log of your two and a half minutes later where the syslog shows the connection is done. The screenshot you pasted is not a full log.

4. Do you judge the slow PPPoE connection by reading the log or the real experience?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 483

Replies: 5

Related Articles