TL-SG3428 Switch ~ Ambiguous hardware version

2024-02-05 14:41:34 - last edited 2024-02-06 02:16:56
Model: TL-SG3428  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.11 / 2.30.0

Greetings

We recently bought 10 TP-LINK switches, of which 3 are model TL-SG3428. Both the cardboard box and the switch labels show 2.20 as being the hardware version. I thought it would be prudent to update the firmware before commiting the switches to service. So, I went to the TP-LINK support page, selected the switch model, hardware version 2.20, and proceeded to flash the switch with the latest firmware version available, V2.20_2.30.0 Build 20231019. The flashing went well and after reboot I proceeded with switch configuration. After many attempts, no matter what I did, it was impossible to make the VLANs work properly. As a last resource, I rebooted the switch with the factory firmware kept in the backup image, which was version 2.07. The configured VLANs, including the Voice one, immediately started working perfectly. Then, I noticed that the switch's Web interface reports Hardware Version 2.0. This contradicts the switch and cardboard box labels. I updated the firmware to the last available version for Hardware Version 2.0, V2_2.0.11 Build 20230602, which kept the correct operation. The switch is now in service and working in the appropriate manner.

My questions are the following:

– Which hardware version should I trust, the one on the labels or the one presented by the switch itself through its Web interface? The firmware made for version 2.20 obviously doesn't work correctly.

– If version V2_2.0.11 Build 20230602 is indeed the latest adequate firmware for this switch, does TP-LINK intend to publish a further update to address the issues corrected by the latest firmware for version 2.20, namely:

1. Fix the bug that the client could not get an IP address after binding ACLs on the port.
2. Fix the bug of slow RSTP convergence after device reboot.
3. Fix the bug that MAC VLAN could not take effect on DHCP and ARP packets and still forwarded them according to the default vlan rules.

Or does hardware version 2.0 not suffer from these problems?

The support pages in question are the following:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-sg3428/v2/#Firmware

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-sg3428/v2.20/#Firmware

Photo of the carboard box label:

Photo of the switch interface:

Thank you
Best regards

Miguel

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TL-SG3428 Switch ~ Ambiguous hardware version-Solution
2024-02-06 02:15:51 - last edited 2024-02-06 02:16:56

Hi @Medalha 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Please find this pinned thread.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:TL-SG3428 Switch ~ Ambiguous hardware version-Solution
2024-02-06 02:15:51 - last edited 2024-02-06 02:16:56

Hi @Medalha 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Please find this pinned thread.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TL-SG3428 Switch ~ Ambiguous hardware version
2024-03-03 18:25:05

@Clive_A This does not answer my question. My question boils down to this:

- The switch interface shows hardware version 2.0

- The card box and the switch label show version 2.20

Which version should I take as being true? The one reported by the switch interface or the one on the stickers?

The question arises from firmware targeted to version 2.20 not working properly on the switch.

Thank you.

Options
2024-03-04 01:40:05

Hi @Medalha

I don't think there is a difference. Rel number is the same which indicates it is the same. If you don't believe me, so be it. Contac the technical support and see if there is a different answer to it.

There is a new version of the firmware too which changes the hardware version and its model name.

Options
2024-03-04 01:54:44 - last edited 2024-03-04 01:59:02

@Clive_A 

Thank you for your answer, but it does not answer my question, looks like there is a communication problem here.

The situation is the following:

- The labels on the card box and the on the switch show hardware version 2.20

My question is:

Which HARDWARE version should I take as being true? The one reported by the switch itself or the one on the labels?

Regarding the firmware versions you refer to, please go to the TP-LINK support page and look at what the public is seeing:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-sg3428

Please look under "Firmware" for  V2 and V2.20. Please note that the latest version for hardware V2.20 is not the one you pointed to. And this version DOES NOT work on my switch, the one that is version 2.20 on the labels and 2.0 on the switch itself. Do you understand now?

Thank you.

Best regards

Miguel

Options
2024-03-04 04:16:05

Hi @Medalha

Medalha wrote

@Clive_A 

Thank you for your answer, but it does not answer my question, looks like there is a communication problem here.

The situation is the following:

- The labels on the card box and the on the switch show hardware version 2.20

My question is:

Which HARDWARE version should I take as being true? The one reported by the switch itself or the one on the labels?

Regarding the firmware versions you refer to, please go to the TP-LINK support page and look at what the public is seeing:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/tl-sg3428

Please look under "Firmware" for  V2 and V2.20. Please note that the latest version for hardware V2.20 is not the one you pointed to. And this version DOES NOT work on my switch, the one that is version 2.20 on the labels and 2.0 on the switch itself. Do you understand now?

Thank you.

Best regards

Miguel

First things first, if there is a problem, contact technical support for details and follow up timely. I may follow all the cases on the forum but I don't get a good record of your case and I may forget the details.

Second, in my comment, I have clearly pointed out that IN THEORY, they are NOT the same. Which means you should not upgrade to the V2.0 firmware. This is the common sense in our hardware version. That's why I replied with that article and asked you to read it. Am I clear in this part?

But as this model seems to be an earlier one. So I cross-matched their release number and concluded, "Its firmware is the same which means this model with the mentioned versions is the same."

I come to the statement above because the release number is the same so I take it they are the same.

Third, because the release numbers are the same. I then concluded the hardware should be the same. And in this situation, the hardware does not matter. And your question is meaningless to me.

So I am telling you both versions share the same firmware and build with a screenshot above. In conclusion, IMO, it should be fine to upgrade to either one of them.

I bet that you would get the same result on upgrading to TL-SG3428(UN)_V2.2_2.0.11 Build 20230602(because it is the same firmware as the TL-SG3428(UN)_V2_2.0.11 Build 20230602)

If this result is the same, what would make a difference/wave in the hardware question? (Then this should shift to the question on why (TL-)SG3428(UN)_V2.20_2.30.0 Build 20231019 would pose an issue to your VLAN.)

This is why I don't answer your question directly because it does not form a question for me. And I don't answer such a question because it is not even a question to me. How am I supposed to answer it? It is against my nature and instinct. So, I cannot answer it if you ask me again.

Fourth, as it is not a question to me. You are supposed to upgrade to HW 2.20 firmware as instructed. I would like to investigate what you commented on the VLAN stuff on the latest one in (TL-)SG3428(UN)_V2.20_2.30.0 Build 20231019.

My priority in this investigation is to rule out human error. Will you answer me with 2 same SG3428 V2.20 hardware and the latest firmware (TL-)SG3428(UN)_V2.20_2.30.0 Build 20231019, do you experience the same issue on VLAN on both switches? If your answer is yes, what is your config detail?

In the end, I don't know why you diverted to a different topic by blaming me for not reading the official website with a tone of not being capable of reading and understanding you.

And, I, AM AWARE OF THAT and that is the reason why I added this line at the end of my last reply. Do you literally read what I wrote? Do you relate the context in your original post?

Options
2024-03-04 05:25:21

@Clive_A 

Never mind, I already contacted Technical Support. I wrongly thought that you were from TP-LINK Technical Support. Thank you for your efforts.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 207

Replies: 6

Related Articles