No DHCP IP address from WAN in WISP mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-08-27 04:34:44
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WA7210N

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : Latest

ISP : Hotel

Hi,

In WISP mode my 7210n v2 will connect to hotel wifi (paid for) and share a single connection to multiple users on my side (LAN) but only if I enter a static IP, mask and gateway on the WAN side. This I can not do as I can't guarantee they (hotel or WISP) will always give me the same IP obviously!

Their subnet is 192.168.2.x with a .254 gateway and 255.255.255.0 mask. My LAN side is 10.0.1.x with the 7210n on .1 running DHCP - LAN side works great. WAN side will not get a DHCP address from them. If I run my old setup exactly the same as above, it obtains DHCP from them (say 192.168.2.132). I then enter this into my WAN settings (static) on the 7210n and it works lovely. Trouble is, I can't keep doing this as their lease only lasts a few hours (maybe 3 days at most).

My old setup is a dd-wrt flashed Belkin router running in repeater mode FYI. I'd keep this but the wifi range is useless and I bought the tp link 7210n to go outside.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Options
5 Reply
Re:No DHCP IP address from WAN in WISP mode
2014-08-28 23:11:24
Hmm - thanks for the reply! Which mode exactly as I find all the modes and differences a bit tricky in my mind!

Simulator here: http://www.tp-link.us/resources/simulator/TL-WA7210N_V2/Index.htm

I do actually have (in my current setup) my Belkin (running DD-WRT) acting as WISP modem, cable, ZyXel Switch/access point - just to expand and be 100% about my current setup. The new 7210N is to replace the Belkin, cable, ZyXel AP/switch in AP mode. This is because I didn't like the reduction if I got the Belkin to receive Wi-Fi (WISP) and send local Wi-Fi (LAN or AP). So I just got 2 devices!
Options
2014-08-29 05:25:42
Thanks. Ok. Tried that but gave up (maybe too early) as no WAN dhcp. It appears I have to set IP address as static and then keep dhcp range that the 7210n provides in the same range? If I am correct (prob not), I may as well stay as I am? The hotel only give me 1 addy. I then need dhcp my side on a diff range so hotel only see/issue 1 address.
Options
2014-09-01 05:30:32
yep - tried again but have to set a static ip address which is my problem - so no good unless you have any other suggestions?

Thanks
Options
2014-09-01 16:20:39
Yes. I tried again in client mode.

Outside - I just mean it can go outside in the wind and rain :)
Options
2014-09-02 05:42:55
Ahh. No I didn't but I did try connected to a zyxel AP that is providing LAN switch (wired) and wireless access point for LAN side. It was connected to zyxel LAN socket (from LAN socket on 7210n) rather than WAN port on zyxel though. A difference here though is the 7210n is providing DHCP on the LAN side rather than the zyxel (or belkin as per your suggestion). Also the 7210n and the zyxel are in same subnet LAN side. Anyway, it all works lovely as this setup but I just can't get the 7210n to lease an address from the hotel. The belkin works fine in place of 7210n.

I can try what you suggested properly - just wasn't keen in changing the Belkin setup (as it works) and not sure if it really is much different?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2161

Replies: 5