change password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

change password

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
change password
change password
2014-12-11 13:50:52
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-WR1043ND

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : 140613

ISP :

hello,

I am trying to change the defaut password to the admin page to secure my new router and have been unsuccessful in doing so.

1> I enter admin for user, admin for password, a new user name and new password and confirm the new password and click save.

2> A messeage pops up asking for user name and password (I assume this is the old username and password) I enter admin for user, admin for password, the message just pops up again with no fields filled

3> I try using the new user and password and the same thing, message just pops up again with the fields empty.

repeat

repeat

The only way to login again is to reset the router using the WPS/reset button.

Then I login with admin admin.

I tried the above steps exactly the same again except for step 2

2> A messeage pops up asking for a user name and password (I assume this is the NEW username and password) I enter "newuser" for user, "newpassword" for password, the message just pops up again with no fields filled.

repeat

repeat

Tried again, after updating the firmware, all of the steps above, same outcome, I cannot get past this message. [A username and password are being requested by http://tplinklogin.net. The site says: "TP-LINK Wireless N Gigabit Router WR1043ND"]

I do a WPS/reset and get back to the beginning. admin admin

Please help.

When I click save, which username and password is it asking for? the new or the old?

Why is it not working?

Thanks for looking

>>>>>{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ UPDATE }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}>>>>>

I failed to mention that I was using keepass, a password manager, to generate my password. I never changed the settings from when I created a password for my last tp-link router of the same model (it stopped working and this is it's replacement). So I assumed that it would work for this router using the same settings as the last.

Anyhow just for the sake of curiosity I tried changing it to a generic easy user and pass and it worked!

I have never experienced a problem with keepass in my 5 years of using it so I just never thought about maybe checking the settings for the password generator.

I will say that I tested using special characters in the password and it would tell me that the password had illegal characters in it. However I suspect that my problem was that I had too many characters in my alpha numeric password but was not being told anything to indicate that.

I rechecked the settings, 14 characters, alpha, numeric, upper, lower, and it worked!

So if you use a password manager, double check your settings!!

Oh, by the way, when you change the user/password and press save, you are prompted to enter the NEW user and pass to enter the router

Thank you for looking

SOLVED
Options
1 Reply
Re:change password
2014-12-11 15:25:34
After change username and password, save, reboot your router and try to login with new username and password.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 856

Replies: 1

Related Articles