Can the Cpe510 be use for hotspot?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can the Cpe510 be use for hotspot?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
26 Reply
Re:Can the Cpe510 be use for hotspot?
2015-12-04 07:08:01

novy wrote

I was thinking about the range. I did read that 5 Ghz equipment has smaller range than 2.4 but on the tp-link site they say that the CPE510 transmit over 5km ever 15km. That is why i am interesting in 5ghz equipment

If you insist to dive to a empty pool, be my guest
This is the gear you need not 510
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-37_WBS510.html
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-5067_TL-ANT5819MS.html

I advice you to read & learn the dif between a Hotspot and a PTP
Options
2015-12-04 18:40:50

danymarc wrote

If you insist to dive to a empty pool, be my guest
This is the gear you need not 510
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-37_WBS510.html
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-5067_TL-ANT5819MS.html

I advice you to read & learn the dif between a Hotspot and a PTP

May be i am more interested about diving than swimming then empty or not, doesn't matter.
More seriously thank you for your help guy!
Options
Yes and no
2015-12-05 11:33:57

novy wrote

May be i am more interested about diving than swimming then empty or not, doesn't matter.

Although you could use a CPE in AP mode as a point-to-many-points "range extender" for extending a hotspot's range if the beamwidth of the CPE's antennas is sufficient for the area to cover, it does not make much sense for a hotspot:

First, the range of the signal is very limited - not by the CPE, but by the clients, which need to send data back to the CPE! Their tx power isn't just enough to cover large distances such as the CPE.

Second, an omnidirectional outdoor antenna would cover a larger area due to their 360° beamwidth if placed in the center of the area to cover (but also only in the same range the clients are able to send data back to them).

Of course, you could interconnect several APs with omnidirectional antennas (each one in the center of distant areas) using CPEs in bridge mode to form a single, big hotspot. This interconnection then could be using the 5 GHz band to avoid interferences with 2,4 GHz or dual band APs. I use CPEs in this way (for example on camping grounds) - connecting several APs together as one big hotspot, where one AP is the gateway running the Captive Portal Software.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2015-12-07 20:57:06

R1D2 wrote

Although you could use a CPE in AP mode as a point-to-many-points "range extender" for extending a hotspot's range if the beamwidth of the CPE's antennas is sufficient for the area to cover, it does not make much sense for a hotspot:First, the range of the signal is very limited - not by the CPE, but by the clients, which need to send data back to the CPE! Their tx power isn't just enough to cover large distances such as the CPE.Second, an omnidirectional outdoor antenna would cover a larger area due to their 360° beamwidth if placed in the center of the area to cover (but also only in the same range the clients are able to send data back to them).Of course, you could interconnect several APs with omnidirectional antennas (each one in the center of distant areas) using CPEs in bridge mode to form a single, big hotspot. This interconnection then could be using the 5 GHz band to avoid interferences with 2,4 GHz or dual band APs. I use CPEs in this way (for example on camping grounds) - connecting several APs together as one big hotspot, where one AP is the gateway running the Captive Portal Software.

Hi R1D2
Thank you so much for your explanation. That is what i was thinking about. But i have some other question. I hope you could help. You said that the Tx power of the client will be the bottleneck but what about the Rx sensivity of the CPE?
Regards
Options
2015-12-08 19:30:45

novy wrote

Hi R1D2 Thank you so much for your explanation. That is what i was thinking about. But i have some other question. I hope you could help. You said that the Tx power of the client will be the bottleneck but what about the Rx sensivity of the CPE?Regards

You are right, the Rx sensitivity of the CPE will "extend" the range of the client's Tx signal, but I doubt that it will even come close to anything like 5km. I have just sent a WA7210 to a customer, which will be deployed next days (hopefully soon) by them. See attached network plan. It's a camping ground with two apartment houses in the range of 100 to 120 meters away from the main building. It will be set up for tests - if those will fail, we will add APs to the houses 2 and 3 and use the two WA7210 as bridges between APs instead of PTMP APs. And the latter would be the situation where IMHO a 5 GHz device such as WA7510/CPE510 may fit better than a 2,4 GHz CPE for bridging - to avoid interferences with hotspot users.

As for the CPE I don't have practical experience with such a setup yet, since the CPEs I ordered are still to be delivered to me this week for more tests. I used the WA7210 in the setup described above, because its datasheet suggested that one can add an external (omnidirectional) antenna and then this would have been the ideal solution for long distance bridging inside a hotspot. Unfortunately, one must decide to either use the directional antenna or the external, but not both at the same time (this was not clearly described in the datasheet, only in the help of the web UI).

Therefore, I will try PTMP mode and hope for enough Rx sensitivity. I also would have been interested in testing the WBS510 / TL-ANT5819MS setup suggested by danymarc in a previous post, but unfortunately I couldn't find a distributor in Germany for those products and I also have very limited budget for such tests. So I will use WA7210 and CPE210 APs for now.
File:
netzplan.pngDownload
Options
2015-12-09 19:31:35
the Rx sensitivity of the CPE will "extend" the range of the client's Tx signal...

:cool:Good point! @R1D2

I like to add
CPE210 has lower gain compared to TL-WA7210N. It can achieve better throughput within 2km. For distance from 2.5km ~ 3km, TL-WA7210N is better as it has higher gain antenna.
(I test with maximum power, PtP link)
Options
ta guys
2015-12-09 21:19:32
ta so much @R1D2 and @Tobacco! ta for sharing your experiences and point of views the first answers in this thread made me feel my questions stupid. I think that i will use almost the same network topology as you R1D2.
Options
2015-12-09 22:00:55

novy wrote

ta so much @R1D2 and @Tobacco! ta for sharing your experiences and point of views the first answers in this thread made me feel my questions wrong

yes cause your first post was Can t
he Cpe510 be use for hotspot?

now you have change your mind to 2.4 Ghz.
I agree with the post
CPE210 has lower gain compared to TL-WA7210N

but its outperform by 210, as I understand you want a Hotspot Pharos line has the Pahros Control, and I posted you on #13 thats the line you need for a Hotspot not 7210 or 210, with those devices it will be a easy start, once you grow it will be a Headache, the key on every network is Administration, tools you dont have with 7210, Tobacoos position it totally dif to yours, he can build a Hotspot with a simple cheap router like 741, I advise you to start with the right gear.
Ask yourself this, i.e. you have 10 Mb from your ISP you have your Hotspot, 50 users, streaming video heavy surfing, on the web, answer, network is down, half of your Clients cant connect, surfing is way slow, solution QOS, that is equal to Administartion of the network, in the example R!D2 posted there is a DD-WRT router thta router has the Administration tools.
Options
2015-12-10 08:49:10
You're welcome, novy. No, questions are never stupid. :D

Thanks, Tobacco, for this information. I just got my CPE210 today, but still like the WA7210 for several reasons.

Danymarc, thx for pointing out the WBS510 / TL-ANT5819MS combo, looks very interesting. They are somewhat hidden on TP-Link's german website (not found if searched for) and although TP-Link support said, both would not be available in Germany, I eventually found a distributor which sells them. They are even listed at Amazon DE, but also not found in their search - I eventually found them through a best price website.

BTW: I use OpenWRT with a captive portal suite as the hotspot gateway and I usually choose TP-Link AP routers, but in this particular installation the customer wants to use his old WRT54 as long as his ISP upstream is still limited to 2 Mbps. It's still stone-age here regarding bandwidth in hinterland. :cool:
Options
2015-12-10 09:29:11

R1D2 wrote

I just got my CPE210 today, but still like the WA7210 for several reasons.

the thing is that TL is late, CPE220 is the replacement for 7210
if you use OpenWrt, flash 210 you wont find it under TL, its at the begining where the C is under ar71xx/generic/ Chaos Calmer & Snapshot both have it
Options