TL-SG105E v2 - Web interface unresponsive - Config utility works

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-12-20 04:07:28
Model : TL-SG105E

Hardware Version : v2

Firmware Version : 160526

ISP :

Hello,
I have a brand new SG105E v2 which has been upgrade to the latest TL-SG105E(UN)_V2_160526 firmware. I have a static IP set on my laptop to 192.168.0.5 and am able to reach and configure the switch using the utility but when trying to reach the web-interface of the switch I get a blank page using both Chrome, and Firefox. A packet capture showed that my browser was being sent a page from the switch with a 403-Forbidden code. I find this very odd as I'm not even receiving a prompt to log-in, in order to use the default username and password.

I'm assessing the product for an ISP to use with small home installations which leverage multicast for their IPTV service. The IGMP snooping feature is my primary reason for investigating this product. While I personally have no issues using the configuration tool, it's not an option for my client as all of their technicians have been issued MacBooks which cannot run the utility and must be able to configure the switch via web interface.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Adding blank page source

TD width=1> ",s+=" ",s+=" ",s+=" ",s+=' ",s+="
'+r+"",s+="
",s+='The user name can not be empty.',document.getElementById("ret_info").innerHTML=e,document.getElementById("ret_info").style.display="block",document.forms[0].username.focus(),!1):document.forms[0].username.length>16?(e='The length of the user name must be less than 16 characters.',document.getElementById("ret_info").innerHTML=e,document.getElementById("ret_info").style.display="block",document.forms[0].username.focus(),!1):""==document.forms[0].password.value?(e='The user password can not be empty.',document.getElementById("ret_info").innerHTML=e,document.getElementById("ret_info").style.display="block",document.forms[0].password.focus(),!1):document.forms[0].password.legnth>16?(e='The length of the user password must be less than 16 characters.',document.getElementById("ret_info").innerHTML=e,document.getElementById("ret_info").style.display="block",document.forms[0].password.focus(),!1):void 0}window.parent!=window&&(window.parent.location="/");var errType=logonInfo[0];window.onload=function(){0!=errType||-1==top.location.href.indexOf("logon.cgi")&&-1==top.location.href.indexOf("lupg_abort.cgi")?(document.body.style.display="block",resize("center")):document.location.href="/";var e=document.getElementById("username");if(e.focus(),e.select(),resize("center"),0==errType)document.getElementById("ret_info").style.display="none";else if(1==errType)document.getElementById("ret_info").style.display="block",str='The user name or the password is wrong.',document.getElementById("ret_info").innerHTML=str;else if(2==errType)document.getElementById("ret_info").style.display="block",str='The user is not allowed to login.',document.getElementById("ret_info").innerHTML=str;else if(3==errType){var t='The number of the user that allowed to login has been full.';document.getElementById("ret_info").innerHTML=t,document.getElementById("ret_info").style.display="block"}else if(4==errType){var t='The number of the login user has been full,it is allowed 16 people to login at the same time.';document.getElementById("ret_info").innerHTML=t,document.getElementById("ret_info").style.display="block"}else if(5==errType){var t='The session is timeout.
Please login again.
';document.getElementById("ret_info").innerHTML=t,document.getElementById("ret_info").style.display="block"}else str='Unkonwn error',document.getElementById("ret_info").innerHTML=str,document.getElementById("ret_info").style.display="block";SetBackgroundImageCache(this)};
Copyright © &nbspTP-LINK Technologies Co., Ltd.
All rights reserved
Options
13 Reply
Re:TL-SG105E v2 - Web interface unresponsive - Config utility works
2016-12-30 10:26:04
hey dude, I have this device as well, I tested this, But I am able to log in using any website browser, maybe you can try to set a static iP for it to see if you are able to log in?
What's more, I think you can try to lower down the security level of your browser?
Options
2017-02-01 00:24:27
My personal experience is that after you used the Config Tool once to enable either DHCP client or fixed IP address, access through web browser becomes reliable. Only this once for initial deployment right out of the box did I need to use the tool.
Options
2017-02-01 06:57:13

Peter M wrote

My personal experience is that after you used the Config Tool once to enable either DHCP client or fixed IP address, access through web browser becomes reliable. Only this once for initial deployment right out of the box did I need to use the tool.

No need to do so since a fixed IP is factory default and works out of the box. I installed lots of TL-SG105E/108E and didn't even once need to use the config utility to get the web UI working.

But: the HTML code for the blank page in the original posting is terribly broken and only part of what the switch actually does send. The problem of the original poster is something browser- or OS-related ("Windows" comes to my mind suddenly) or maybe a broken cable, but certainly not caused by the switch itself.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
Similar problem with TL-SG105E V3 as 80211WiGuy had with V2
2017-09-05 02:34:16
Model : TL-SG105E
Hardware Version : v3
OpSys: Windows 10

Hi,
I also get the blank screen with more or less the same broken HTML-code from the web interface[SIZE=2]as 80211WiGuy showed
[/SIZE] BUT I also get no sensible response from the configuration utility: It comes up with an empty form - no MAC address or anything, after a timeout message.
Entering relevant details and clicking 'Apply' also gives the same timeout message: 'Timeout, no response from agent'.
Any suggestions?

TP-Link: Am I the only one? What to do?
80211WiGuy: Did you find a solution?
Grateful for any help.

Update:
Tried web interface from Linux - Got a little window requesting Username and Password. It would not accept admin / admin, or anything else I could think of.
Options
2017-09-06 00:07:41
Sorry I missed the previous responsed but no i didnt find a solution, I just stuck with the config tool. I've got 2 windows laptops - on the first one I tried with both Chrome and Firefox on Win7. I'll give it a try on Chrome with my W10 laptop when I get home tonight.

BTW I've tried from both a default factory reset config (which btw, 192.168.0.1 is a really stupid default IP, this thing isn't a gateway/router), as well as a static IP config set by the utility.
Options
2017-09-06 00:56:33

Pjotrek wrote

Update:
Tried web interface from Linux - Got a little window requesting Username and Password. It would not accept admin / admin, or anything else I could think of.

Press the reset button and hold it for 5 seconds. This will restore factory settings and factory username/password. It iwll also set the IP to the default 192.168.0.1, so set your NIC to a free address in this IP range (e.g. 192.168.0.2 or whatever). You don't even need to disconnect the laptop/PC from the network to reach the switch.

As for the blank screen, it's Windows-related, maybe old cache content, broken browser or whatever. On Linux or Mac I never saw a blank/corrupted page like this and I configure a lot of TP-Link switches through their web UI, including SG-108E & SG-108PE.
Options
2017-09-06 05:40:33
I just tested this on my EIGHT SG108e. I also cannot access the Webserver on the SG108e using a browser. Using the Configuration Utility it works fine.
All of my switches are configured on 192.168.1.90 through .97. None respond. Only the Configuration Utility works. I tried it using both Windows 10 and Ubuntu.
I also tried it using IE, Firefox, Opera. (I do not use Chrome). I simply get a blank page when attempting to access any of the eight switches with a browser.
Options
2017-09-06 10:56:01
Nevermind...I found the answer in my case...VERSION 1 of the SG108e does not have the Webserver. I have all version 1.
Not a problem as the Config Utility works fine and I understand it will also run under WINE in Linux should I ever abandon Windows on all my computers.

DaveI wrote

I just tested this on my EIGHT SG108e. I also cannot access the Webserver on the SG108e using a browser. Using the Configuration Utility it works fine.
All of my switches are configured on 192.168.1.90 through .97. None respond. Only the Configuration Utility works. I tried it using both Windows 10 and Ubuntu.
I also tried it using IE, Firefox, Opera. (I do not use Chrome). I simply get a blank page when attempting to access any of the eight switches with a browser.
Options
2017-09-06 20:32:07

R1D2 wrote

Press the reset button and hold it for 5 seconds. This will restore factory settings and factory username/password. It iwll also set the IP to the default 192.168.0.1, so set your NIC to a free address in this IP range (e.g. 192.168.0.2 or whatever). You don't even need to disconnect the laptop/PC from the network to reach the switch.

As for the blank screen, it's Windows-related, maybe old cache content, broken browser or whatever. On Linux or Mac I never saw a blank/corrupted page like this and I configure a lot of TP-Link switches through their web UI, including SG-108E & SG-108PE.

Thanks for kind advice. Of course, I always resetted the switch before each new try, and the ethernet adapter set to 192.168.0.10/255.255.255.0 . And I tried with IE, Chrome, Opera, Firefox and Safari. Always same result.

BUT I just found a get-around: I set up a free VMWare virtual machine with Windows 7 and a bridged network to my ethernet adapter, with 192.168.0.12. And, there it works the way it should. So, for some reason, the switch is incompatible with Windoze 10, but works with Windoze 7.

Thanks anyway, knowing it worked for you, encouraged me to try this.
Options
2017-09-06 23:04:40

Pjotrek wrote

So, for some reason, the switch is incompatible with Windoze 10, but works with Windoze 7.

Could be seen so. An alternative view of the problem would be: Windoze 10 is incompatible with standard HTML. ;)

Thanks anyway, knowing it worked for you, encouraged me to try this.

You're welcome. Glad that it works now!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7910

Replies: 13

Related Articles