Hacking a valid cert into the EAP controller software

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-03-20 19:04:10
So let's start by saying I hate invalid certificate errors. I've worn many hats: DevOps, IT Support, Customer Support, Web Designer, and more; each and every one screams "FIX IT" when I see one of these errors. Naturally, when I got my new access points (yes I use my EAP245 for my home), I was dismayed to see the invalid certificate error on the management page.

Well I have my own domain name that I use for my home network devices and have used it to put valid certs on them (a pfSense router, an OMV file server, and a couple other gadgets), and thought to myself, "why can't I have a valid certificate on the EAP controller?"

After many hours of poking around with much trial and error, I successfully managed to get the green padlock indicating a valid certificate!

DISCLAIMER: Proceed at your own risk! This worked for me, but I cannot guarantee that this process will not bork your EAP controller, invalidate your warranty, and/or kick an orphaned puppy. Please, think of the puppies.

PREREQUISITES

[*]A domain name that you control DNS for
[*]A way to run the openssl command (either via a handy Linux/Mac box laying around, or an OpenSSL package for Windows on your controller or a handy Windows box)
[*]Full access to your EAP controller box
[*]Depending on your cert provider, an HTTP host you can use for verification

PREPARING

[*]Create a subdomain for your controller under your desired domain name, e.g. "eap.example.com"

[*]If your cert provider requires HTTP verification (e.g. LetsEncrypt), start by pointing this at an HTTP host you have access to, with a very low TTL

PROCESS

[*]Shut down the EAP Controller software
[*]Make a copy of your current keystore (EAP Controller\keystore\eap.keystore) for safekeeping
[*]Generate a private key and CSR:

openssl req -out MYSITE.csr -new -newkey rsa:4096 -nodes -keyout MYSITE.key

[*]Submit your CSR and get the cert from the CA

[*]If your CA uses HTTP verification, once the process is complete change your DNS entry to point to your EAP controller's IP address

[*]Combine your cert and private key into a PKCS#12 key:

openssl pkcs12 -export -in MYSITE.crt -inkey MYSITE.key -name eap -out MYSITE.p12
it is important that the "name" parameter is "eap"!
[*]use an easy-to-remember password, you'll need it a few steps later (then it will be irrelevant)

[*]Make a copy of your current keystore (EAP Controller\keystore\eap.keystore) for safekeeping (you already did that right?)
[*]Delete the eap.keystore file in EAP Controller\keystore
[*]Import your PKCS#12 key into a new keystore:

keytool -importkeystore -deststorepass tplink -destkeystore eap.keystore -srckeystore MYSITE.p12 -srcstoretype PKCS12
enter the password you specified in step 5 when prompted

[*]Restart the EAP Controller software!
When it starts and loads the page, you should still see a certificate error; this is because it loads to https://127.0.0.1 which is never a valid hostname. If you browse to the hostname you created, e.g. https://eap.example.com:8043/ (don't forget the port number) you should now see the valid certificate!
Options
16 Reply
Re:Hacking a valid cert into the EAP controller software
2017-03-22 09:39:13
Very helpful, thanks! TP-Link admin should move it into the Knowledge Base for reference. :)
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
No longer working...
2017-04-17 03:08:04
Hi there, I just followed your steps to the letter and the EAP controller fails to load with the new key store.

I am using the 2.4.7 portal and this is the error in the server log. Which version were you successful with in getting this to run?

Any help would be appreciated. It is a real shame TP-Link on an SOHO/Enterprise product don't make this easier to set up.

2017-04-16 18:54:06 [main] [INFO]-[ContextHandler.java:2040] - Initializing Spring FrameworkServlet 'springMVC'
2017-04-16 18:54:07 [main] [ERROR]-[EapJettyServer.java:38] - fail to start up jetty server .
java.security.UnrecoverableKeyException: Cannot recover key
at sun.security.provider.KeyProtector.recover(KeyProtector.java:328)
at sun.security.provider.JavaKeyStore.engineGetKey(JavaKeyStore.java:138)
at sun.security.provider.JavaKeyStore$JKS.engineGetKey(JavaKeyStore.java:55)
at java.security.KeyStore.getKey(KeyStore.java:792)
at sun.security.ssl.SunX509KeyManagerImpl.(SunX509KeyManagerImpl.java:131)
at sun.security.ssl.KeyManagerFactoryImpl$SunX509.engineInit(KeyManagerFactoryImpl.java:68)
at javax.net.ssl.KeyManagerFactory.init(KeyManagerFactory.java:259)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.ssl.SslContextFactory.getKeyManagers(SslContextFactory.java:1080)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.ssl.SslContextFactory.doStart(SslContextFactory.java:291)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:64)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.ssl.SslSelectChannelConnector.doStart(SslSelectChannelConnector.java:612)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:64)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:293)
at com.tp_link.eap.start.server.EapJettyServer.doStart(EapJettyServer.java:36)
at com.tp_link.eap.start.server.EapAbstractServer.start(EapAbstractServer.java:68)
at com.tp_link.eap.start.task.EapJettyStartUpTask.execute(EapJettyStartUpTask.java:15)
at com.tp_link.eap.task.EapTaskEngine.runTasks(EapTaskEngine.java:13)
at com.tp_link.eap.start.EapBootstrap.startup(EapBootstrap.java:360)
at com.tp_link.eap.start.EapMain.main(EapMain.java:13)
2017-04-16 18:54:07 [main] [INFO]-[DbCompatibleServcie.java:96] - no need to compatible db.

DocJones wrote

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

So let's start by saying I hate invalid certificate errors. I've worn many hats: DevOps, IT Support, Customer Support, Web Designer, and more; each and every one screams "FIX IT" when I see one of these errors. Naturally, when I got my new access points (yes I use my EAP245 for my home), I was dismayed to see the invalid certificate error on the management page.

Well I have my own domain name that I use for my home network devices and have used it to put valid certs on them (a pfSense router, an OMV file server, and a couple other gadgets), and thought to myself, "why can't I have a valid certificate on the EAP controller?"

After many hours of poking around with much trial and error, I successfully managed to get the green padlock indicating a valid certificate!

DISCLAIMER: Proceed at your own risk! This worked for me, but I cannot guarantee that this process will not bork your EAP controller, invalidate your warranty, and/or kick an orphaned puppy. Please, think of the puppies.

PREREQUISITES

[*]A domain name that you control DNS for
[*]A way to run the openssl command (either via a handy Linux/Mac box laying around, or an OpenSSL package for Windows on your controller or a handy Windows box)
[*]Full access to your EAP controller box
[*]Depending on your cert provider, an HTTP host you can use for verification

PREPARING

[*]Create a subdomain for your controller under your desired domain name, e.g. "eap.example.com"

[*]If your cert provider requires HTTP verification (e.g. LetsEncrypt), start by pointing this at an HTTP host you have access to, with a very low TTL

PROCESS

[*]Shut down the EAP Controller software
[*]Make a copy of your current keystore (EAP Controller\keystore\eap.keystore) for safekeeping
[*]Generate a private key and CSR:

openssl req -out MYSITE.csr -new -newkey rsa:4096 -nodes -keyout MYSITE.key

[*]Submit your CSR and get the cert from the CA

[*]If your CA uses HTTP verification, once the process is complete change your DNS entry to point to your EAP controller's IP address

[*]Combine your cert and private key into a PKCS#12 key:

openssl pkcs12 -export -in MYSITE.crt -inkey MYSITE.key -name eap -out MYSITE.p12
it is important that the "name" parameter is "eap"!
[*]use an easy-to-remember password, you'll need it a few steps later (then it will be irrelevant)

[*]Make a copy of your current keystore (EAP Controller\keystore\eap.keystore) for safekeeping (you already did that right?)
[*]Delete the eap.keystore file in EAP Controller\keystore
[*]Import your PKCS#12 key into a new keystore:

keytool -importkeystore -deststorepass tplink -destkeystore eap.keystore -srckeystore MYSITE.p12 -srcstoretype PKCS12
enter the password you specified in step 5 when prompted

[*]Restart the EAP Controller software!
When it starts and loads the page, you should still see a certificate error; this is because it loads to https://127.0.0.1 which is never a valid hostname. If you browse to the hostname you created, e.g. https://eap.example.com:8043/ (don't forget the port number) you should now see the valid certificate!
Options
2017-04-17 23:30:33
That's odd. Let's try some troubleshooting first.
[*]Open a command prompt and navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\TP-LINK\EAP Controller\keystore" (assuming the EAP controller software is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\TP-LINK\EAP Controller)
[*]At the prompt, type ..\jre\bin\keytool.exe -list -v -keystore eap.keystore
[*]Enter tplink as the password when prompted
Your output should look something like this:
[CODE]
Keystore type: JKS
Keystore provider: SUN

Your keystore contains 1 entry

Alias name: eap
Creation date:
Entry type: PrivateKeyEntry
Certificate chain length: 2
Certificate[1]:
Owner: CN=
Issuer: CN=, O=, C=
Serial number:
Valid from: until:
Certificate fingerprints:
MD5: <16-OCTET FINGERPRINT>
SHA1: <20-OCTET FINGERPRINT>
SHA256: <32-OCTET FINGERPRINT>
Signature algorithm name:
Version: 3

Extensions:
(lots of stuff here that's not terribly important)

[/CODE]

The three important bits here are:
[*]"tplink" (all lower case) should be the password and that should successfully display the certificate information
[*]The certificate alias name should be "eap" (all lower case)
[*]The file should be "eap.keystore", directly in the "EAP Controller\keystore" path

If any of these are not true, the controller software will definitely puke. If the file is just named wrong or in the wrong path, that should be easy enough to correct; if the password or alias are incorrect, you're probably best off re-rolling the keystore from scratch.

Let me know how the troubleshooting goes!
Options
2017-04-18 02:43:51
So from the top, and thanks for taking the time to reply also... :0)

1) running that command with the password as 'tplink' nets me the following (and btw, where is the keystore password being set to tplink?)

Creation date: 16-Apr-2017
Certificate chain length: 3
Certificate[1]:
Owner: xxx, xxx
Issuer: xxx, xxx, xxx, xxx
Serial number: xxx
Valid from: xxx until: xxx
MD5: E3:E4:21:60:F6:E0:82:E4:35:47:B7:DD:78:5E:36:ED
SHA1: 12:1D:E2:59:7B:79:F6:53:D2:0B:D2:9A:CB:EF:20:02:AE:D1:C2:37
SHA256: A3:18:9B:4F:50:DB:56:41:8F:CF:29:C1:1D:D5:D6:7B:50:24:0A:4E:25:E0:46:B3:2E:2B:DC:52:FB:9C:6B:13
Signature algorithm name: SHA256withRSA

Extensions:

2) Alias name looks spot on.
3) The file is in the keystore folder directly. The original is also there renamed to eap.keystore.orig

A friend of mine also tried the exact same steps on his setup, getting exactly the same results. He is also on version 2.4.7 of the controller software.

As mentioned before where is the java keystore password being set in the process, I am wondering whether this is to do with the issue?

Phill

DocJones wrote

That's odd. Let's try some troubleshooting first.
[*]Open a command prompt and navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\TP-LINK\EAP Controller\keystore" (assuming the EAP controller software is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\TP-LINK\EAP Controller)
[*]At the prompt, type ..\jre\bin\keytool.exe -list -v -keystore eap.keystore
[*]Enter tplink as the password when prompted
Your output should look something like this:
[CODE]

Creation date:
Certificate[1]:
Owner: CN=
Issuer: CN=, O=, C=
Serial number:
Valid from: until:
MD5: <16-OCTET FINGERPRINT>
SHA1: <20-OCTET FINGERPRINT>
SHA256: <32-OCTET FINGERPRINT>
Signature algorithm name:

Extensions:
(lots of stuff here that's not terribly important)

[/CODE]

The three important bits here are:
[*]"tplink" (all lower case) should be the password and that should successfully display the certificate information
[*]The certificate alias name should be "eap" (all lower case)
[*]The file should be "eap.keystore", directly in the "EAP Controller\keystore" path
If any of these are not true, the controller software will definitely puke. If the file is just named wrong or in the wrong path, that should be easy enough to correct; if the password or alias are incorrect, you're probably best off re-rolling the keystore from scratch.

Let me know how the troubleshooting goes!
Options
2017-04-18 02:45:25
Ignore the question about the keystore password. I opened my eyes properly and read the command line ;0)

That is working for sure, as when I enter another incorrect password to list out the keystore contents I get errors.
Options
2017-04-18 02:54:19
Hmmm, I'll have to spin up a new controller instance and test the steps again, maybe I missed something (as I was largely documenting "after the fact").

To clarify for others, the password is being set in the last command in my instructions via the -deststorepass tplink parameter :)
Options
2017-04-18 03:50:29
So a quick update. Without regenerating anything I opened up the keystore in a Java based GUI. The tplink password worked. However when attempting to rename the key pair alias name and having to supply the same password again I got an error.

Using the GUI tool I reimported the PK12 file, and double checked that tplink was indeed working for that specific key pair. Now loads and all is fine with the world... :0)

Looking back through my command line history I definitely haven't fat fingered the password. Initial opening of the keystore did work with tplink as the password but manipulations on the key pair failed.

Hope this extra information helps.

Phill
Options
2017-04-25 00:14:49
Might just be that the EAPC application has some tweaks to how it processes the cert that don't always play nice with a keytool-generated cert (since they expect it to only run with the provided cert), and that the GUI tool does something different (maybe doesn't add one of the extensions or something) that ends up with a more reliable cert.

For others interested in doing this, perhaps if my commandline instructions don't work for you, try the GUI tool? :)
Options
2018-01-25 18:03:29
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I couldn't see anything newer. I have created the certificate and loaded into the cert store and it all appears fine, however, when I restart the EAP service it still uses the self signed cert. I have looked in the keystore and it contains 1 entry, the one of my "proper" certificate and there is no sign of the self signed one.

Steps I have taken:

./certbot-auto certonly --standalone --preferred-challenges http -d mydomain.net

openssl pkcs12 -export -inkey /etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.net/privkey.pem -in /etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.net/cert.pem -certfile /etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.net/chain.pem -name eap -out mydomain.p12

keytool -importkeystore -deststorepass tplink -destkeystore /path/to/keystore/eap.keystore -srckeystore mydomain.p12 -srcstoretype PKCS12

Output of keytool -list -v -keystore /path/to/keystore/eap.keystore

Creation date: 25 Jan 2018
Certificate[1]:
Owner: CN=mydomain.net
Issuer: CN=Let's Encrypt Authority X3, O=Let's Encrypt, C=US

What am I missing?! Any pointers at all? :)
Options
2018-01-25 18:55:59
I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't find anything newer, I have followed the instructions above and tried the GUI. If anyone could offer any pointers that would be great

I am getting the:
2018-01-25 10:47:44 [main] [ERROR]-[EapJettyServer.java:41] - fail to start up jetty server .
java.security.UnrecoverableKeyException: Cannot recover key

Error. I have tried importing the key through the gui and command line. I have tried completed the following steps:

./certbot-auto certonly --standalone --preferred-challenges http -d mydomain.net

openssl pkcs12 -export -inkey /etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.net/privkey.pem -in /etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.net/cert.pem -certfile /etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain.net/chain.pem -name eap -out mydomain.p12

keytool -importkeystore -deststorepass tplink -destkeystore /path/to/EAPController/keystore/eap.keystore -srckeystore mydomain.p12 -srcstoretype PKCS12

I don't get any errors when doing this, just the errors when I start EAP.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 9013

Replies: 16