How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

53 Reply
Re:How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?
2017-08-20 07:00:02

Wattsnet wrote

So, the firmware did indeed get me into the access point mode that I thought should've been on the devices already. So I configured for AP...then I suddenly started getting frequent network drops every 45 to 90 seconds.
I thought maybe providing ethernet backhaul might help so put 3 of the 6 nodes (I bought two sets of the M5) on ethernet backhaul. This somehow created a new network and knocked 2 nodes completely offline.
I reset all nodes, reconfigured everything from scratch, updated the firmware, configured for AP... same results. Fractured network and frequent network drops.
I've put over 20 hours into this project trying to get my Montessori school's wifi going. I get the feeling that I signed up for a beta test but paid full price for the products. I'm frustrated and frankly just ready to throw all devices that have the words TP-LINK anywhere on them in the garbage. But, I'll digress. I'm going to box them up, hopefully get a full refund then buy some Ubiquity equipment like I should've done from the start. Nuff said.

I upgraded my device to the new firmware 1.1.3 and I had the same problem. The AP mode just stoped working, so I had to go back to the Router Mode. Now the wi-fi is working. I hope that TP Link release a new firmware to correct this problem with AP mode.
Options
2017-09-13 09:43:35

delazaro wrote

I upgraded my device to the new firmware 1.1.3 and I had the same problem. The AP mode just stoped working, so I had to go back to the Router Mode. Now the wi-fi is working. I hope that TP Link release a new firmware to correct this problem with AP mode.

The latest firmware is 20170820, do you upgrade it and still have the same issue with the new version firmware?
Options
2017-09-14 06:09:44
Took me awhile to install, and I didn't think the instructions were very clear, but now I've got 3 access points connected via ethernet to my router (a 2 year old Airport Time Capsule) and have 175 Mbps wifi throughout my 3 floor 3500 square feet house. Highly recommended!

Lots of small problems during the set-up and even now only 1 of my 3 Deco5 shows up in the app. But I'm sure that all are sending out a good wifi signal, and from my contacts with support it seems like the app will be updated.
Options
2017-09-14 08:54:14

pdxlhm wrote

Lots of small problems during the set-up and even now only 1 of my 3 Deco5 shows up in the app. But I'm sure that all are sending out a good wifi signal, and from my contacts with support it seems like the app will be updated.

Check the home page of the app, can you see 2 wifi networks(with the same SSID) under your deco account? Another user posted a thread and TP-LINK Admin has replied. Here you go > Thread: Deco M5 creating seperate networks instead of one network for all nodes
Options
2017-10-03 03:46:43
Hello,
I have two questions :

Q2 :
I have one Deco in AP mode and I want to add another Deco. I read that router mode is the default mode for a Deco. So, will this new Deco automatically be configured as AP mode as well ? f not, does it mean that I have to start it alone and then convert it in AP mode ?

Q1 :
If I have let say 3 Deco installed, all running in router mode and I want to configure them in AP mode via the tp-limk app: Will all three devices be changed at the same time ?

Thank you for your help
Options
2017-10-04 15:03:59
A1: The slave Deco unit will not be router mode, if you didn't connect the slave deco to main deco by ethernet cable, it would be like extender, then if you connect an ethernet cable between them, the slave deco would be working with ethernet backhaul, no need to switch the mode manually;
A2: Similar to the question 1, after you install all the 3 Deco normally, the main Deco is on router mode, the other two slave Deco are in extender or access point mode, when you switch the mode on the Deco App, it is changing the mode on the main Deco.
Options
2017-10-05 02:02:51
Hi Enson Loo

Many thanks for your help, it works fine now and I understand the difference.

Cheers
Options
2017-11-30 18:40:34
I have firmware version 1.2.12 (acording to about menu option) the only options in "advanced" are " ipv4 ipv6 Led.. and Notifiictaions" I need to set up AP nodes and dont seem to have the option to access the features outlined in the AP node "Howto" as outlined on this thread
I have tried doing further firmware updates but I get a failure message, any suggestions?
Options
2017-12-01 17:37:17
A to Q2:
yes, the third Deco would automatically turn into AP mode, no extra work needed.
A to Q1:
All 3 Deco would turn into AP mode together with a click of one button.
Options
2018-01-14 21:37:18
Hello,
I have some questions.

I have configuring Deco Ap mode
and all Deco's working on the same frequency, how to reconfigure it?
Deco Ap mode does not have a guest network, is it upgraded?
Deco router mode does not have IP configuration options, is it upgraded?

Thank you for your help
Options
Related Articles