How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

53 Reply
Re:How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?
2018-02-13 04:37:47
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using AP mode vs Router mode? I originally thought I would have to use AP because I was connecting the Deco M5 to a Fios Quantum router--but I set the Deco up in Router mode and I seem to have no problems. Part of my system is connected directly to the Fios router, where I turned off the wifi signal, and then another satellite is directly connected to the main Deco through ethernet. The two remaining Deco units are connected through wifi. No problems. Coverage is great (using 4 Decos) in a very large house. I know that I can extend my Fios system if I use AP mode, but should I? Am I missing something?
Options
2018-02-28 01:17:11
Guest network isn't avaiable in AP Mode, it's a shame because nowhere is reported that it's need to run all in router mode for have that.
In router-mode i have a double nat, in AP Mode i have not the guest network (the main reason for me to buying this Decos...).
Just run the dhcp-nat for the guest network in AP mode and leave the main ssid in a pure AP......... it's fixable by a firmware update........
Options
2018-03-06 05:56:10
Hello,I have some questions.Model : Deco M5Hardware Version : EU1.0Firmware Version : 1.1.6ISP : Hungarian Telekom docsis3 (mac autentication)Are you planning other interface to configure Deco (cli, html, ect.)?Provides RF Configuration to the Userz, AP mode does not use different channels, all M5s work on the same channel, high interference?Will AP mode be multi ssid(guest networks)?Marketing is good, implementation is wretched, I would like answers.
Options
2018-03-11 03:44:37

TheCondor wrote

Guest network isn't avaiable in AP Mode, it's a shame because nowhere is reported that it's need to run all in router mode for have that.
In router-mode i have a double nat, in AP Mode i have not the guest network (the main reason for me to buying this Decos...).
Just run the dhcp-nat for the guest network in AP mode and leave the main ssid in a pure AP......... it's fixable by a firmware update........

Hi All,

For me the same. Did wait to buy the DECO M5 until AP was supported, read the manual (online) before buying and its clearly says: Functions like NAT, Parental Controls and Qos are not supported in this mode.
SO, this means to me Guest network will still works in AP mode.
Spend lot of time to get the DECO M5(still not 100% running) but no guestnetwork available, I need AP mode and need guestnetwork. Is this supported in next firmware upgrade?
Options
dumb question... At what point do I connect the Decos to the router -- before or after AP mode?
2018-03-28 10:08:11
Okay, I have my decos set up and working in router mode. I want to start using another (more configurable) router. Do I:

A. Put my Decos in AP mode per the FAQ instructions, then unplug them from the modem, connect the new router to modem, and plug the Decos into a lan port on the router;

or

B. Disconnect Decos from modem, connect router to modem, plug Decos into router lan port, and then put Decos in AP mode per FAQ?

Or neither of the above?
Options
2018-06-12 19:43:29
When Deco is in Access Point Mode, all three units will get their own IP from the main router, three different IP's.
This is inconvenient, for example a voice chat can be broken when you walk through the house and siginal is switched from one unit to other.
This will not happen when Deco is in Router mode, since only one IP is assigned to Deco from the main router.
Options
Re:Re:How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?
2019-04-12 20:28:10 - last edited 2019-04-12 20:28:30

Hello!

I've issues with DECO in AP mode.

Why DECO still give adress to clients when in AP mode?

If i restart my router DHCP on my network, clients connected to DECO in WIFI will recive an adress from DECO, it result with no internet connexion and bad gateway, DNS and wrong ethernet IP.

Please see this thread

here

Thanks for you help

Options
Re:Re:Re:How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?
2019-05-27 06:34:33

TeeKay wrote
Sorry for dumb question, but where can I download Deco app? I lost my disc 

You can download the app from the Apple Appstore for iPhone or from Google Play for Android. 

Options
2019-07-28 06:50:39

Hi all;

in the access point FAQ the deplyment options are showing oinly daisy chain for ethernet connected units.

1.can I sill use a star network for my deco units in access point mode? e.g: modem-router->switch->deco unit AP 1

->deco unit AP 2

2 I am still not clear about weather having the deco as an access point will create a new wifi network or will the modem-routers wifi will be used exclusively?

thanks.

Options
Re:Re:How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?
2019-07-29 03:04:13

@gkatz 

1. In access point mode, you can connect the Deco units at will, including a star network.

2. In AP mode, the Deco system will still radiate the Wi-Fi signal like in Router mode. The difference is that devices connected to Decos will obtain an IP address from your front-end modem/router instead. In this case, we recommend to turn off Wi-Fi on the modem/router.

Options
Related Articles