TP-Link IoT Network

Used Products:

The Internet of Things

The Internet of Things (IoT) describes a network of everything that is connected to the Internet, from something as small as a toy or sensor, to as big as a train.
While IoT devices were a new concept just a few years ago, the concept of IoT has spread to almost every aspect of our lives, from medical services to smart home devices, even to agricultural industries across the world. Advancements in Technologies such as cloud computing, big data management, machine learning, artificial intelligence, predictive analytics, and mobile technologies have allowed IoT devices to offer better privacy, increased stability, and streamlined user experiences.

Why are IoT Networks Important?

IoT devices, since they are connected to the internet, are capable of communicating with devices across the entire network and with outside services, such as the TP-Link Cloud for both Kasa and Tapo devices. Connecting these devices to the internet, not only provides increased control and functionality, but the anonymous data collected can be used to optimize connections, communicate statistics (energy monitoring), or even create alerts/notifications. In industrial applications, IoT devices allow companies to better monitor, track, and predict changes that may occur on a larger scale, such as how the agricultural industry can even track the detailed humidity, solid moisture, and temperature across their property in order to provide the best growing conditions for their crops.

IoT devices, while providing invaluable experiences to our lives and smart homes, can also use a significant amount of bandwidth or crowd your home network. By placing all these devices on a separate network, you are freeing up your network for the devices where you want the best connection, such as your phone or streaming device.

Automation Efficiency
If you have ever attempted to create automation with your Smart Devices on a congested network, you will know that the overall performance, speed, and reliability at which the Automation is performed can be heavily affected or varying. By placing your Smart Devices on a designated IoT network, you can be sure that your devices can effectively communicate with each other to provide the best connections possible. This will also create additional bandwidth on your main wireless network that your streaming devices and phones can now take advantage of.

Simplified Setup
IoT networks can also simplify the setup process for your smart devices as a separate and easier-to-input password can be used to connect the devices. IoT networks also provide methods for changing the bands and security used by these devices; meaning that if your device only connects via a 2.4 GHz connection, the 5 GHz bands can be disabled for the IoT network, allowing your other devices to keep their high-speed connection from the main network.
Furthermore, if you would like to use the newest security protocols but are limited by your smart device's compatibility, the encryption method of the IoT network can be different from the method used on the main network to connect your devices.

How is TP-Link Embracing IoT Networks?
With the recent firmware release, IoT Networking is already beginning to roll out to multiple Archer routers and Deco products.

You could refer to the following IOT-supported list:

Important! This supported list might not be regularly updated. If your device is not yet supported, keep an eye out for New Beta Firmware on the official TP-Link forums, or the new firmware updates on your model’s support page.

Archer Routers( All With the latest firmware) Deco Whole Home Mesh( All With the latest firmware)
Archer C6_V4
Archer C80_V1
Archer C80_V2.2
Archer BE900
Archer BE805
Archer BE800
Archer GE800
Archer BE550
Deco M5_V1/V2/V3/V3.2
Deco X20/Deco X25_V2
Deco X50/Deco X55_V1/V1.2
Deco X60 V3
Deco X68 V1/V2
Deco X73 V1
Deco X75 V1/V2
Deco X90_V1
Deco XE75_V1/V2
Deco XE75 Pro_V1/V2
Deco X50-POE_V1
Deco XE200
Deco BE85
Deco BE95

How to configure the IoT Network?

On Archer Routers:

On Deco:

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. What’s the benefit of having a separate IoT network?
It helps with your own personal management by knowing that all smart devices are on one network, and everything else on the main network. 
Some legacy devices that don’t support the latest WPA3 encryption standards or 5GHz could still connect to Home Wi-Fi without interfering with the wireless settings on the main network.

2. Should I use the guest network for IoT devices?
The big drawback of a Guest Network is that devices on it can’t see or connect to other devices. For smart home products, they always need to integrate with other devices like turning on/off lights/switches via Google Assistant or live view cameras from Alexa Echo Show. While for the IoT network, the devices on it communicate freely with each other. Since the IoT Network could also communicate with devices on the main network, it would be great when you have the Phillip Hue Bridge or Other Smart Hubs wired to the main network for better stability and connection speed.

If you have any better ideas for optimizing the IoT Network to make it more intelligent and useful or want to know something more about it, please feel free to leave your comments below or start a feature request here.

Comment

I've got a similar problem as NanoG6.

Phone connects to IoT network, but I can't for the sake of it connect the lamp to the iot network. It keeps connecting to main despite me connecting the lamp to the iot network.

Tried several resets, but nothing seems to work. 

@NanoG6 

Nice to see you again. So far, there hasn't been a workaround to force devices to connect to the IOT network via WPS. May I know the model number of your IOT devices?

If possible, it is also suggested to start a new feature request here.

Best regards.

@Rodorom 

Do you also use WPS to connect the smart lamp devices to the IOT network?

If not via WPS, you could manually select the Wi-Fi name and put the password. Did you use the same SSID for both the main network and the IOT network?

Wait for your reply.

Best regards.

مکانیکال سیل یکی از عناصر حیاتی در صنعت است که برای جلوگیری از نشتی و خروج مایعات در سیستم‌های مختلف به کار می‌رود. با آشنایی با انواع مکانیکال سیل، می‌توانید گامی در جهت بهبود عملکرد و کارایی سیستم‌های صنعتی بردارید. یکی از انواع رایج مکانیکال سیل، مکانیکال سیل پمپ سانتریفیوژ است که به خوبی برای جلوگیری از نشتی در پمپ‌های سانتریفیوژ استفاده می‌شود. هنگام خرید مکانیکال سیل پمپ، در نظر داشته باشید که قیمت، یکی از عوامل تأثیرگذار بر انتخاب نهایی می‌باشد. بنابراین، مقایسه و مطالعه قیمت‌ مکانیکال سیل پمپ، برای شما به عنوان مهندس صنعتی بسیار اهمیت دارد.

Will this work if using a Homepod - Alexa - Google Home to control the devices and also hubs connected to the devices as well.

Also what about video doorbells and other cameras, if they are connected to the IOT Network and your Phone is connected to the Main Network will you still get notifications and view the streams

And what about if you are using Phone Data would you still receive notifications to say someone is at your door for example 

Can someone confirm that this iot network ssid separation doesnt support the M4 Ver: 2 and 3 model? I tried to enable this on my mesh network and all my IOT devices only connects to the main deco which in my case is M5 model. tia

Will this feature be available for deco x-50 PoE??

What is the point of IoT network if it just another SSID? A guest network with a different name? It is useful if there's a configuration to isolate, restrict those devices from internet and other devices

@RobyForster It is available now for the x50-Poe. It was released about a week ago on the tp link download site. You have to download and install manually through the deco web interface until it becomes available to update on the app. 

Hope that helps

-- Deco X50-POE user

I have three Deco X20 and and the IoT Network activated . I need to extend the IoT Network with extender TP-link TL-WA850RE, but when connecting to the IoT network through the extender I can not connect to Internet. 
When connecting to the IoT network without the extender (directly in to the X20 Decos) I do reach internet. 
why is it not possible to use extenders with the IoT network?

Hi, 

I have a M5 as my main unit and S4 nodes. Do the S4 nodes also generate the IoT network? Reason I ask is because the IoT device close to the M5 see the IoT network but devices far from the main M5 but close to the S4 nodes do not even pick up the IoT network.

Thanks

upload
    upload
      Subscriptions