DECO 5 AP Mode and Guest networks + access NAS

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-10-01 23:36:17
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,
I am on the point of buying a Deco 5 system but cannot find answers for several points;
Although a support engineer answered my initial question, I wish to keep my existing BT router/modem in place as I have several IP cameras, NAS Server and Web Server all setup using port forwarding. However, the BT units are not good with WiFi and I will disable the BT WiFi and install the Deco5 units as APs. I also have a TP-Link powerline setup exclusively for the main entertainment system (TV/BluRay/Set top unit).
In AP mode, I am told that the Deco units will provide access to all units connected to my existing router/switch as it will be the same network (no sub networks). What is the position if I want to set up Guest access? Can this be done with all the Deco units in AP mode? If in a future firmware release the units create their own sub-net, would one be able to set up access to NAS devices on the primary network?
Many questions, but I want to try and make sure that the TP-Link solution will be d to a degree future proof - especially if I later get a TP-Link AC2800 as my primary router/VDSL modem.
Thanks.
Options
15 Reply
Re:DECO 5 AP Mode and Guest networks + access NAS
2017-10-03 18:05:16
As far as I know, with wireless as the backhaul, once you enabled the guest network, deco creates two wireless links, one for the main network, the other for the guest network, as soon as any of the Slave Deco detects a Ethernet backhaul to its front Deco, it will turn off its Guest Network automatically.
Regarding the sub-net, the default working mode on the Main deco is router mode which create its own sub-net, if you connect it in this way: Internet---BT router---Main Deco (working as router mode), it may have some problem, or even the internet works, the devices connected to the Deco is in different sub-nets from the devices connected to the BT router, they still cannot communicate with each other, so the AP mode is still recommended.
Options
2017-10-03 19:41:12
Thank you.
So, the essential question is;
If I have , say, a TP-Link 2800 router/modem with all my IP cameras, NAS media servers etc connected (and a guest wifi network enabled), can I then connect the first Deco to the router using ethernet and 2 more Deco units as a Mesh system, run all the units in AP mode and have a guest wifi network as well? I am happy to disable the wifi on the main router if needed. It is just that I am unsure if the Deco units, if they are all in AP mode, can provide a guest network for internet only access. I do obviously need the Deco network on the same as the router so that one can access all the media devices and cameras.
Thank you.
Options
2017-10-04 15:49:14
How do you want to connect the two slave Deco? wirelessly? or through ethernet cable? if you are going to connect the other two Deco through ethernet cable, you want to connect them to the first Deco or to your main router or switch?

stewartv wrote

Thank you.
So, the essential question is;
If I have , say, a TP-Link 2800 router/modem with all my IP cameras, NAS media servers etc connected (and a guest wifi network enabled), can I then connect the first Deco to the router using ethernet and 2 more Deco units as a Mesh system, run all the units in AP mode and have a guest wifi network as well? I am happy to disable the wifi on the main router if needed. It is just that I am unsure if the Deco units, if they are all in AP mode, can provide a guest network for internet only access. I do obviously need the Deco network on the same as the router so that one can access all the media devices and cameras.
Thank you.
Options
2017-10-04 16:34:32
2 slave Deco units wirelessly if possible. The first (primary one) connected to the switch via Ethernet cable.
Options
2017-10-05 14:46:41
Then I think the guest network would work on all the three Deco units
Options
2017-10-06 00:20:07
Thank you - I wonder what the answer from TP-Link might be? I have some conflicting data as some suppliers say that a guest mode can only be supported by the router connected directly to the internet - this is to stop connections to other network devices. It all really depends on whether the APs can support multiple SSIDs......
Options
2017-10-06 16:41:35
You can email tplink directly to confirm it,
Launch the Deco app, tap the " 三" icon at the upper left corner, tap Help -> Email Us
Options
2017-10-07 05:37:19
I would email them via the app if I had purchased the units - this is more of a pre-sales inquiry.
Options
2017-10-09 16:32:52
I am sure guest network won't be supported when it's AP mode yet
Options
2017-10-10 00:36:42
Final Q !
If all Deco units are in AP mode, will it still act as a mesh system with the same SSIDs and handing over between APs when moving around the house?
Thanks!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3901

Replies: 15