Slow speed in AP mode compared to router mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-10-13 22:58:46
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi guys,

I've experienced huge performance loss after enabling AP mode in the Deco app. I've enabled it for quite a while now and I experienced some network instabilities aswell, but never had a thought of checking the speed.

In the screenshot below you can see some Speedtest.net results with AP mode and Router mode.

I've experienced two things after enabling AP mode:
Instability. Sometimes the WiFi has an authentication issue
[*]Performance loss. In my case, this can range anywhere from 100Mbps to 45Mbps
My setup is as follows. I have one Deco wired up to my modem. The other 2 Deco's are placed somewhere in the house without ethernet backhaul.

Can these problems be fixed? AP mode is kind of a must, since I don't want another subnet created in my network.
Options
9 Reply
Re:Slow speed in AP mode compared to router mode
2017-10-16 10:18:00
Are those tests run at the same location? Can you check the wireless link speed on your computer when it connects to deco in router and ap mode?
Options
2017-10-16 17:44:59

Enson Loo wrote

Are those tests run at the same location? Can you check the wireless link speed on your computer when it connects to deco in router and ap mode?

The tests displayed there are run at the same location and on the same computer (with router and AP mode).
Options
2017-10-17 19:32:21
Hi Sito,
what's the firmware version on your Deco? You can update to the latest firmware first
Options
2017-10-18 23:02:50

flying snow wrote

Hi Sito,
what's the firmware version on your Deco? You can update to the latest firmware first

I have the latest version.
Options
2017-10-19 09:34:15
How about the location of your Deco? Have you tried to adjust the location of your deco?
What's more, you can change another deco to works as the main router and see what happen
Options
2017-10-20 00:29:48
Have you even read the post? The location of my deco's are fine, in router mode I get the speed that I want, but not in access point mode.Changing the main deco router shouldn't matter, since I am getting the speeds I expect with router mode.
Options
2017-10-25 08:55:00
changing the main deco is to check caused by device itself or the network environment
http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1865.html
Options
2017-10-27 04:29:23
As as test, did you changed back to router mode for some time and noticed that the speed was more stable?

Your problem could also be related to the following;
Every DECO has 2 MAC addresses, one of 2.4 and one for 5 GHz. So with 3 DECOs you have 6.MAC addresses.
What I notice is that my device is switching between these different MAC addresses (different DECO / 2.4 / 5 ) with as result that the speed is changing.
E.g. I'm connected to the 5 GHZ and then it switches to the 2.4 GHz with as result that my speeds suddenly drops.
Options
2017-10-27 16:34:02

hansremmerswaal wrote

As as test, did you changed back to router mode for some time and noticed that the speed was more stable?

Your problem could also be related to the following;
Every DECO has 2 MAC addresses, one of 2.4 and one for 5 GHz. So with 3 DECOs you have 6.MAC addresses.
What I notice is that my device is switching between these different MAC addresses (different DECO / 2.4 / 5 ) with as result that the speed is changing.
E.g. I'm connected to the 5 GHZ and then it switches to the 2.4 GHz with as result that my speeds suddenly drops.

That make sense ~
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 7741

Replies: 9