Google Home and Lights/Pugs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-10 03:41:18
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi All.

Not sure where this ends up and who is at fault.

KASA app understands the difference between the switches and plugs. Easy.

Upon integration with the Google Home, we get a bit wonky.

Ask Google to handle the lights: "Turn on the lights". It faithfully turns on all the connected lights.
Ask Google to handle the plugs: "Turn on the plugs". It turns on the plugs AND the lights.

Lights are handled fine but plugs include all lights.
There is no differentiation between the two.

Is this a fault in the API link with the Home? You will note the Home shows all the icons as wall plugs for what it is worth.

This is an issue and should be addressed.

Thx.

Kev.
Options
4 Reply
Re:Google Home and Lights/Pugs
2017-11-10 08:56:08
Change the switches and plugs to different names, such as living room switch, bedroom plug.
Options
2017-11-10 09:38:09
Yes - you are correct and I have done this.

Point is, one *should* be able to simply ask for EITHER all the lights off or the plugs off, and to have it work. It does not as the plugs get lumped into the lights but not the other way around. Try it.

Kev.
Options
2017-11-10 22:04:54
Hi, thanks for your report. I have the same problem, but using Google Home Mini.

Some info about what I'm using:

- Google Home Mini
- iOS 10.3.3 (on iPhone 6)
- Google Assistant App (latest version 1.1.4209)
- TP-Link Wi-Fi Smart Plug HS100
- Country UK

The issue:

TP-Link smart plug HS100 works with Google Assistant App, but NOT with Google Home Mini.

The experience:

Both (Home-mini and Google Assistant App on iPhone) are using the same Google Home account, where the TP-Link plug is properly linked in my devices and named as " Plug".

When I try to speak to Home-Mini, asking: " Ok Google, turn on the plug" or " Ok Google, turn the Plug on" Home-mini says: "Sorry I'm not sure how to help".

Whilst at the same question, Google Assistant App (on my iPhone) turns my lights on (activating the plug).

I guess it's a TP-Link compatibility issue with Google Home Mini. Isn't it?
I bolded Mini, just because I saw several video on youtube that show how to make work Google Home (the big version) with TP-LInk plugs.

Can you help me with this issue?
Options
2017-11-13 16:27:21
Hi, did you check this with Google? It looks like the command makes Google Home confusing.

kdackiw wrote

Yes - you are correct and I have done this.

Point is, one *should* be able to simply ask for EITHER all the lights off or the plugs off, and to have it work. It does not as the plugs get lumped into the lights but not the other way around. Try it.

Kev.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 703

Replies: 4