How to bypass parental controls completely...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-24 04:56:14
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

One of the main reasons for me to buy the DECO, apart from the mesh functionalities, was the parental control. I needed a tool to limit the internet access to get my kids spending more time on homework.
Within days my son was able to bypass completely the parental controls by using one of the many VPN apps available in the Apple App Store...

... I block YouTube, he is using the VPN app to get on YouTube
... I use the WiFi pause for his profile, he is still watching YouTube or can go to any other website

With other words, the full parental control can be bypassed using a VPN app. The only thing that seems to work is to put his device on the blacklist, then directly the WiFi is disabled.
I already reported this some time ago on another thread, have reported it to TP-Link directly, but it's still possible to bypass.

So, if you want to try yourself...

- Get yourself a iPhone
- Assign it to a test profile
- Validate that the WiFi is working and go to YouTube
- Disable for the test profile YouTube
- YouTube stops working
- Install from the App Store the "VPN Master" and start it.
- After you have the VPN working go to YouTube...
- Put the WiFi on pause for the test profile
- And continue to enjoy surfing on the internet
- Put the iPhone on the blacklist
- Notice that the WiFi is disabled

With this post I do not want to encourage children to bypass the parental control, but I want to make the parents aware that putting the devices temporary on the blacklist is the only option to block the WiFi.
And... I hope that TP-LINK will start implementing a solution soon. They can start checking to see the difference between the logic in the "blacklist" and the "WiFi pause"....
Options
27 Reply
Re:How to bypass parental controls completely...
2017-11-25 19:50:19
Anyone a suggestion how to prevent this bypassing?
Options
2017-11-27 16:19:34
VPN would get pass the restriction for certain websites, this I understand, because the destination address being manipulated and the Deco cannot recognize the traffic.
But once Internet is paused for certain profile, I don't think any VPN would get pass it.
I've tested it personally on my Deco, it really blocked the clients from access the internet once I paused the Internet.
1, double check the profile, make sure it says "Internet paused".
2, maybe your son's mobile runs on LTE instead of the WiFi at the moment and only he didn't realize it.
Options
2017-11-28 03:11:58
You tried on a iPhone using the same VPN I mentioned, and it did block the internet for your when you put it on "Internet paused"?
Then I wonder what is the difference in setup etc. He is using a iPhone 6 with the latest iOS version and on my DECO we have the latest firmware.

And no, my son is not using LTE instead of WiFi, his LTE bundle is already fully consumed the 2nd week of the month. And if I put his device on the backlist he can't connect anymore, another proof that he is not using LTE but WiFi.
Options
2017-11-28 19:43:30
What VPN exactly your son is using mind if I ask? very interested to tested it out from my side.
Options
2017-11-29 01:59:51

matt wrote

What VPN exactly your son is using mind if I ask? very interested to tested it out from my side.

if you want to try yourself...

- Get yourself a iPhone
- Assign it to a test profile
- Validate that the WiFi is working and go to YouTube
- Disable for the test profile YouTube
- YouTube stops working
- Install from the App Store the "VPN Master" and start it.
- After you have the VPN working go to YouTube...
- Put the WiFi on pause for the test profile
- And continue to enjoy surfing on the internet
- Put the iPhone on the blacklist
- Notice that the WiFi is disabled
Options
2017-11-29 02:48:40
can you not just block the VPN? not got a M5 yet (its on its way) but you just need to google the ports that the VPN uses and block them.

I think you can also create a kinda of work profile for you sons phone that will not allow him to install a VPN , I have done this the other way around and forced a VPN onto a phone. The apple forums will help you.
Options
2017-11-30 01:40:10

SteveDrakey wrote

can you not just block the VPN?

The DECO only allows you to block a handfull of VPN apps/sites.
Options
2017-11-30 10:11:34
Rather than manually pausing the profile's internet, does the same occur if you configure the Bed Time controls for the profile instead?
Options
2017-11-30 15:35:54
When steps into bedtime, internet for those on the file is paused.
Options
2017-12-01 08:58:12

matt wrote

When steps into bedtime, internet for those on the file is paused.

Yea, I was wondering if it was maybe a bug that only happens when manually pausing the profile rather than setting the profile to pause automatically via Bed Time settings.
Options

Information

Helpful: 5

Views: 43633

Replies: 27