Smart bulb and plug control away from home

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-08 21:42:03
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I know that schedules can be setup to use smart home devices away from home, but I just discovered that I can actually turn my plug and bulb on and off, away from home, and without wifi.
I don't understand all the technical stuff around it, but I think it has something to do with the fact my internet and mobile provider is the same, and that I am using a 3-5G Turbo Hub for my internet.
I discovered it by accident, when I was home, and I turned my devices off before going to work and then realized that I was not connected to wifi.
So when I was at work, 13km away, I decided to test it. Before leaving work at the end of the day, I turned on my devices. When I got home, they were on! I love being able to do this. If I work late, and if it is already dark, I can ensure that I turn my lights on before I get home.
FYI for those out there who may have the same situation with internet and cell provider and using a Hub for internet.
Options
7 Reply
Re:Smart bulb and plug control away from home
2017-12-11 14:30:02
Hello

This is a great news for those who use the same hub for internet and discover their lights on when it gets dark.
I had tried to do so , but did not happen. May because of the connection that i am using is different.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Thanks
Options
this works with 'Remote Control' turned on, I was told
2017-12-12 01:38:18
I just asked tp-link 'chat' help this same question, and was told that I need to enable 'Remote Control', and it will work. I plan to try it soon.
Options
2017-12-13 00:12:21
Oh...that is probably why it works, I have remote control enabled. Anyway, a great feature!
Options
2018-04-04 22:58:01
milanjoy is only posting spam - he copies the subject title and adds an advertising link.
Options
2018-04-07 02:13:21
salbertarose -

" I know that schedules can be setup to use smart home devices away from home, but I just discovered that I can actually turn my plug and bulb on and off, away from home, and without wifi."

You need internet (not wifi exactly) to control your TP-Link devices. But per TP-Link documents your schedules will maintain if internet is lost.

That would mean with internet @ home & coffee shop I can run my TP-Link. From the car I could control via cellular internet. If I haven't got internet at my controller or home, a reprogrammed schedule will still work.... Lights on at sunset and off @ 11:30pm .... but I wouldn't have manual control.
Options
2018-10-10 20:52:21
Thanks!
Options
2018-10-14 18:22:56
This is a great news
Thank you for sharing with us
I'm trying to do it
Options

Information