Archer VR2800 drops internet connection multiple times a day but maintains local network connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer VR2800 drops internet connection multiple times a day but maintains local network connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
51 Reply
QoS
2020-10-07 10:43:15

ogero wrote

Do you, by chance, have QoS enabled?
If so, try disabling it, I used to have the exact same issue on mine, and noticed QoS is totally broken on this device.
When disabling it I faced no more those issues.

Offtopic Rant: But a new one arised; now sometimes, when a wireless device is hogging up the dsl bandwith, no other device (wlan or lan) is able to even get a DNS resolution.

If I could return this device, I would do it without thinking it twice.

@ogero 

my QoS is disabled (by default), but the problem is still there.

Options
Re:Archer VR2800 drops internet connection multiple times a day but maintains local network connection-Solution
2020-10-12 08:43:12 - last edited 2020-10-12 08:44:32

@jon.brevad 

Good day.

Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Sorry for the delay.

Since there are many feedback about the unstable issue about the Archer VR2800, please help us get the following information for further assistance:

1. Where are you located and who is your internet service provider?
  2. How long have you had the device and when did the issue start?
  3. Did both the wireless connection and wired connection have the same unstable issue?
  4. When the internet dropped, would the internet or DSL light turn off or blinking?
  5. Would there be any error message on the status page, such as please configure the DNS manually?
  6. If you are on the DSL service, please also help me check the downstream and upstream values under the advanced>status>DSL status;
  7. And also make sure the current firmware is up to date;

So if anyone who had the same issue, please send an email with the above answers to support@tp-link.com with subject Forum# 103674 Archer VR2800 drops internet connection multiple times a day;

Thank you very much for your understanding and support.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer VR2800 drops internet connection multiple times a day but maintains local network connection
2020-12-24 22:56:22

I have this router 2 weeks and it is the biggest pile of rubbish i have ever paid for, gone back the free ISP provided router.

My issues are 

As soon as i move more than 10 feet from the device the singal drops to 2 bars

Devices constanatly disconnect and reconnct to the wifi

If once device is using a lot of bandwidth, all over devices stop and lose connection.

I am on plusnet and with thier router installed I have no isses what so ever. Restart and reset many time and on the latest firmware, but still a peice of crap.

Really wish i had kept the box as it would be getting returned for sure. It is now being used at a £150 paper weight!!!!

Options
Re:Archer VR2800 drops internet connection multiple times a day but maintains local network connection
2021-01-06 10:12:03

@unfcukinghappy 

Have you updated the modem firmware to the latest, then reset and reconfigure it from scratch to confirm if the connection will more stable?

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-vr2800/#Firmware

Just to verify, only the wireless connection disconnects on the VR2800? How about the wired connection, will the internet drop if you connect a computer to the modem with an Ethernet cable? Ensure the DSL light and internet light on the VR2800 is correctly on/flashing.

If the wired connection is stable, but the wireless is not, please then check if both the 2.4G and 5G are giving you an issue, try to modify the wireless settings on the VR2800, such as wireless channel and channel width to find a clear one, you may install a Wi-Fi analyzer to check the channel.

Thanks a lot.

Options
2021-01-06 11:18:53
Me too
Options
2021-01-06 12:20:50

@Kevin_z 

Yes I am at the latest firmware and have reset many times and was still getting the issue until I worked out that when my NAS was doing a large backup the my cloud storage it would hog all the bandwidth and stop everything else from working. So i put a limit on how much it can use and seems to be more stable than before.

Never happen with my old router???

Options
2021-03-29 11:24:35

I went back to my VR2800 today after my BT Hub died in a thunderstorm recently. And started to get those extremely annoying regular internet drop-outs again. But I remembered reading another thread a while ago that setting up static DNS addresses to connect to the ISP was one cure for this inability to hold a connection for very long. I have done this, and it has -- touch wood -- worked so far, as I haven't had another lost connection this morning. 

Advanced tab > Network > Internet ...  then click on the edit icon under "Modify" for your Internet connection.

Scroll down to the bottom of Internet Connection Setup and click on the down arrow next to 'Advanced'.

At "Use the Following DNS Addresses" click Enable. Add in the Primary and Secondary DNS addresses for your internet service provider (62.6.40.178 and 62.6.40.162 for BT).

Save.

Options
2021-04-10 14:28:09

@kernowboy 

ok none of this worked for me, I still get 2.4ghz drop, and the vdsl drop.

so I am posting as I think I had another cause, I found an faq on tp link support for the archer 2800, indeed I have a powerline adapter plugged in 12 inches from the router, I have moved it to 5 feet away and we're ok so far. 

you may have the option to disable the offending wireless issue on the adapter, I didn't as it's the 600mb job from currys.

cheers

Options
2021-04-18 15:10:59

I did not expect to need advanced qualifications in IT to get this VR2800 to run properly. I'm of the generation where IT is a foreign subject so when I buy a device with easy set up , I expect it to be easy.      Has any one successfully resolved this issue? 

Options
2021-04-18 16:32:22

@unfcukinghappy same here.  back on plusnet router which works fine.  biggest waste of money...

Options