How to Question. Create a bridge between buildings using a EAP 110 and a CPE 210?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to Question. Create a bridge between buildings using a EAP 110 and a CPE 210?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-01-16 03:59:06
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello.
New to the forum.
Trying to extend a network between 2 buildings.
I have a EAP110 and a CPE210

Basic image is two buildings with a wired network in each. ISP in one building (with the EAP110) and wish to extend that to the 2nd building.
Noticed that I can not extend the IP's across the bridge. Or can I?
The EAP110 I can configure anyway. It seems to me the CPE 210 is being the stubborn one. Will not allow for a change of the IP.

I need a step by step on what to do on either end (The CPE210 primarily) to create this wireless bridge between the two networks.

Thank you anybody.

Ecmml
Options
5 Reply
Re:How to Question. Create a bridge between buildings using a EAP 110 and a CPE 210?
2018-01-16 09:17:26
EAP110 is only for indoor wifi coverage. CPE is good for long range P2P or P2MP transmission.
A typical network topology should be like this:

ISP--modem router---CPE210 ))))))) ((((((( CPE210(the 2nd building)----AP))))) (((((( Clients inside the building.

1. So in your case, you need two CPE 210.
2. Make sure you have a router. EAP110 is an AP without DHCP function assigning IP address.
Options
Thank you
2018-01-18 23:33:07

Carat1 wrote

EAP110 is only for indoor wifi coverage. CPE is good for long range P2P or P2MP transmission.
A typical network topology should be like this:

ISP--modem router---CPE210 ))))))) ((((((( CPE210(the 2nd building)----AP))))) (((((( Clients inside the building.

1. So in your case, you need two CPE 210.
2. Make sure you have a router. EAP110 is an AP without DHCP function assigning IP address.

Saw that from the videos and brouchure.
Figured I could hook up the EAP and CPE anyway but see the limitations of the EAP. Especially when transferring to a wired network once in a building.

Thank you for clarifying it.

Now I see that I wish to connect two buildings, Should I use AP/Client mode or bridge? Building one will have the DCHP router. I want building 2 to be able to access building 1's ISP.
According to other posts and tips I can not use the same subnet currently existing. I need to use 192.168.0.x, Is that true? I would rather use 192.168.x.x.
So far I have been told I need to set things to 192.168.0.10 with gateway access to 192.168.0.256.
Is that true?
Options
Re:How to Question. Create a bridge between buildings using a EAP 110 and a CPE 210?
2018-01-19 19:48:31

Ecmml0207 wrote

Now I see that I wish to connect two buildings, Should I use AP/Client mode or bridge?

From a technical point of view there is not much difference between client mode and bridge/repeater modes except that client mode bridges two wired networks over a wireless link, while bridge/repeater modes does the same, but will create an additional wireless network on the remote site. For your use case client mode is best. See page 7 in the Pharos User's Guide about operation modes:

According to other posts and tips I can not use the same subnet currently existing. I need to use 192.168.0.x, Is that true?

No. Where did you read such ridiculous nonsense? You can use any subnet address you wish. Just make sure to set the CPEs to unique IP addresses from your existing subnet in order to easily reach their web UI. But even this isn't necessary to deploy two CPEs extending an existing network to another location.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
CPE 210 Link
2018-01-20 03:33:13
Thank you R1D2

I need to extend building 1's ISP and DHCP to Building 2.
As for where I got that information was TP-Link's Support phone line when I called in.

Thank you for that information. I am going to try this next week and will let you all know how it goes.
The diagram says it all.

Thank you again.
Options
2018-01-20 07:31:41
You're welcome.

To clarify the need for using 192.168.0.x subnet: It needs to be used just once for initial configuration of a CPE. In order to set a customized IP for the CPE you must use the CPE's factory default IP for connecting to its web UI. But you can change this to whatever IP you want to use later on for accessing the web UI.

The easiest way to do this initial configuration is to set a static IP on your laptop/PC from the 192.168.0.x range, say 192.168.0.12. Then connect the CPE directly to your laptop, log into the CPE's web UI at 192.168.0.254 and assign it a customized IP, which may be an unused IP from your existing network (e.g. 192.168.2.70 or whtever you desire). After applying the new IP you will lose connection to the CPE, since the new IP will become active immediately. Therefore, after applying the CPE's new IP just change the IP of your laptop/PC back to its previous IP, connect again to the CPE's web UI and save the current configuration to make it persistent. Don't power off the CPE between applying a new IP and saving the configuration, else it will fall back to the factory default if powered on again.

Note: In AP/client mode outlined above, the gateway and DNS IP settings in the CPE's network config are only needed for the CPE itself to connect to the Internet if you want to use domain names for the CPE's NTP time synchronization function. No need to set up a gateway or DNS IP for your clients in your remote network - that's already done by your main router's DHCP service.
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3130

Replies: 5