TL-WA854RE extender: specifying a user name to extend (connect to) public network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-WA854RE extender: specifying a user name to extend (connect to) public network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-02-07 03:32:04
Model : TP-LINK TL-WA854RE

Hardware Version : 2.0

Firmware Version : TL-WA854RE(EU)V2_150916

ISP : eduroam

Hello,

I'd like to use my TP-LINK TL-WA854RE(EU)Ver2.0 extender (repeater) to extend the signal of my university WiFi network, which is only visible from my balcony, where I've plugged in the extender. This network uses a series of routers throughout our campus, and to log in, students must provide a user name and a password, which are prompted directly by Windows (no web GUI), upon connecting to the network directly.

However, on the extender's admin page, all I am able to specify for the my local host (eduroam) connection is just a "Host 2.4 GHz password". The extender thus never gets to know that user name since it never asks for it. In the admin page, I did not see any further options for specifying a user name to log intothe host network - only to change its security protocol (WEP, WPA/PSK etc), none of which enable me to specify a user name.

Surely there must be a way to extend public networks and not just private ones (for which there is access to the router)? Perhaps with a firmware upgrade (although I saw no newer versions on the product's homepage)!

I'd be very grateful indeed for any help!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 739

Replies: 0