NC220 camera - excessive Internet usage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-05-28 13:05:40
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi My NC220 camera is driving me crazy. I connect remotely to my house from the office 3-4 times a day, just for 10-15 secs. But when I check my router, it shows data consumption about 1 GB almost every day!! I believe once connected, the camera cannot detect the viewer has left and it continues to stream all day. I also reduced to quality to the lowest but no luck ! I have the Hardware version 1.0 and Firmware version 1.3.0 that I believe most recent. What I try to do is sometimes to change the TPCloud password and hope the camera cannot reach and stops streaming when not used. But this is not a solution. What do I miss ? I really appreciate any help. If I cannot solve it I would throw it away and buy another one, as the cost of internet usage is getting much more than the camera itself
Options
3 Reply
Re:NC220 camera - excessive Internet usage
2018-05-29 09:38:53
Can you check the data consumption of specific client on the router?How do you tell those data consumed by the camera? We'd better figure it out whether all those data are consumed by the camera firstly.
Options
2018-05-30 05:50:15

Kevin SG wrote

Can you check the data consumption of specific client on the router?How do you tell those data consumed by the camera? We'd better figure it out whether all those data are consumed by the camera firstly.
Hi Kevin, It was very easy to say it was consumed by the camera. First I filtered MAC address in my router only to the camera. I am able to check my 4G router's internet usage real time from the router interface. I activated the camera and I saw the data transfer started in the router. Then I shut down the camera app and continued to check router. The data usage did not stop at all until I turned off the camera completely. I did the tests both on Camera Web app and IOS app. My guess is camera detects and starts streaming when the app starts. However, somehow it cannot understand that the app is closed, thus it does not stop streaming. In the first month I was not aware of this and I was shocked by the 15 GB of data usage . I watch the camera 10 mins max daily with the lowest resolution. My total monthly usage should be no more than 300 MB. As I said there are no other devices connected (as only camera MAC id is allowed in the router)
Options
2018-06-09 23:48:53
What I was offered by the support is to Reboot Camera from the app. This is a workaround for now but that was also not sustainable as there is always risk the camera may not turn on during the reboot remotely.
So doesn't anybody have this issue ? I cannot believe it is only happening to me. Maybe nobody notices when they use DSL but with the limited Quota Broadband 3G router it is very annoying.

Thanks
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 641

Replies: 3