TP Link TL-WA901ND

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP Link TL-WA901ND

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TP Link TL-WA901ND
TP Link TL-WA901ND
2018-07-01 21:49:58
Model :

Hardware Version : V5

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Newbee here; just joined the forum so please be patient.
I have a BT Hub 5 router in my study & according to a speed test I am getting approx 46Mbps download on my computer via my BT fibre broadband. I have recently installed the TL-WA901ND as an Access Point in my lounge wired via a switch to improve wifi coverage for mobile & tablet use etc. According to various speed tests my Samsung tablet is getting about 41Mbps download, my sons mobile phone about 43Mbps but my Moto G4 Plus mobile & my wife's Moto G3 mobile only receive a figure of about 3Mbps! Interestingly the upload speed is about 10Mbps.
I have no idea what is causing this problem but if I use my Moto G4 mobile in my study which is about 50 feet from my wired access point with numerous brick walls between them the download speed is 7Mbps & upload 8Mbps :mad::confused:. If I then connect my mobile to my BT Hub wifi while still in my study I get a download speed of 45Mbps & an Upload speed of 17Mbps.
Can anyone please offer advice as to what is causing this conflict with the wifi Access Point in my lounge (only on our Moto mobiles) & hopefully tell me how to resolve it.
Many thanks in advance.
Options
7 Reply
Re:TP Link TL-WA901ND
2018-07-02 15:44:04
Your configuration:

Dave R wrote

BT Hub 5 router in my study
TL-WA901ND as an Access Point in my lounge wired via a switch

Samsung tablet
Moto G4 Plus mobile
Moto G3 mobile

Could you please add the hardware and software versions of your TL-WA901ND?

I understand that the BT Hub 5 is also a WLAN access point (AP). Correct?

Do you use on both APs the same SSID and WLAN-password, i.e. as one single WLAN with a wired backbone?

Are you sure that the Moto (is that Motorola?) do access your WLAN via the TP-Link AP?

I have a similar problem (see my thread further below) where my Acer tablet does connect only to the WLAN in the DSL router (AVM Fritzbox) but not to the TL-WA901ND.

I found out after I assigned different SSIDs to the two WLAN APs.

No answer from TP-Link on this issue.
Options
2018-07-02 21:48:41
The BT Hub 5 is a modem/router which supplies wifi in part of my bungalow but not sufficiently enough in my lounge.
Both wifi's have different SSID's & passwords.
The Motorola mobiles can receive wifi from the BT Hub in the study & then I connect to the TP Link in the lounge.
I cannot access the TP Link setup page & don't know how to go about giving the BT Hub & the TP Link the same SSID & password.
If I disabled my network & set up a new one via Windows 10 would the BT Hub 5 & TP Link be given the same SSID & password automatically?
Options
2018-07-14 14:49:27
how to config this modem ?
Options
2018-07-14 18:00:32

Dave R wrote

The Motorola mobiles can receive wifi from the BT Hub in the study & then I connect to the TP Link in the lounge.

Do all your devices connect to the two APs? The tablet, too?

I cannot access the TP Link setup page & don't know how to go about giving the BT Hub & the TP Link the same SSID & password.

How did you set up the TP-Link AP when you did not access the TP-Link setup page?

Have you given it a fixed IP or did you leave that to the DHCP automatism?

If I disabled my network & set up a new one via Windows 10 would the BT Hub 5 & TP Link be given the same SSID & password automatically?

No, you have to assign the SSID via the administration interface to the respective AP.

It is probably simpler do change only the new AP, and give the same SSID and Password as the BT Hub. It also needs the LAN IP address of the BT Hub as the "Default Gateway" and as DNS-Server address.

I strongly recommend to assign a fixed IP address to the remote AP, and if you want to have the same SSID/Password on both, to disable DHCP on the remote AP, so that only the central BT hub assigns IP addresses. Or you give your mobile devices fixed IP addresses, too.
Options
2018-07-19 10:22:41
Great info!
Options
2018-07-20 00:09:09

L.Willms wrote

Do all your devices connect to the two APs? The tablet, too?
They all connect but the two mobiles don't get good wifi via the TP Link

How did you set up the TP-Link AP when you did not access the TP-Link setup page?
I didn't it is AP by default.

Have you given it a fixed IP or did you leave that to the DHCP automatism?
I have done nothing other than connect it to my wired switch in the lounge.

No, you have to assign the SSID via the administration interface to the respective AP.
I have no idea how!

It is probably simpler do change only the new AP, and give the same SSID and Password as the BT Hub. It also needs the LAN IP address of the BT Hub as the "Default Gateway" and as DNS-Server address.
I have no idea how!

I strongly recommend to assign a fixed IP address to the remote AP, and if you want to have the same SSID/Password on both, to disable DHCP on the remote AP, so that only the central BT hub assigns IP addresses. Or you give your mobile devices fixed IP addresses, too.

I have no idea how!
Options
2018-07-24 03:41:32
Thanks...
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 986

Replies: 7

Related Articles