Deco Won't Connect to TP-Link Cloud

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-07-19 23:29:48
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi - just got a TP-Link Deco M5 hence first post! I wonder if someone can help
Trying to set up the first disc all goes well until it tries to set up the network - at which point it fails with the message "Failed to connect to TP-Link Cloud."

Tried over and over with no success.
Internet via modem (PlusNet fibre) is working perfectly (and indeed the Deco set up says it's connected to the internet - although plugging my laptop into the second lan socket doesn't connect it - but then I suppose the deco is still in setup mode, so probably means nothing)
[*]I tried registering a second account with a different email address and logged into the app with that... same result: no problem until it tries to set up the network
[*]I tried with one of the other units (it is a set of 3) in case the unit was faulty - but same result
[*]It doesn't matter if I reboot the modem and/or the deco, or log out of the app between tries
What else can I say to help? The app is freshly downloaded (this morning) onto an iPhone 7+ running the latest update (again today) of iOS.

Would be very grateful for any suggestions... I thought this was supposed to be dead easy to set up - but I've spent most of the day on this with no results!

Thanks
John
Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco Won't Connect to TP-Link Cloud
2018-07-20 16:24:36
What's the iOS version?
logout Deco APP and reopen it.
Then, try to login and reconfigure it.
good luck..
Options
2018-07-20 18:17:19
Thanks Bowen98

I'm using iOS 11.4.1
I've tried both logging out of the app and deleting it and reloading it - neither make any difference
The app seems to be working OK - it's when the unit (which I assume is independent from the app) tries to log into TP-Link Cloud that the error occurs
Options
2018-07-22 01:00:54
I had the same problem, it turned out my ISP used MAC filtering. Started by connecting the DECO to my LAN to get it registered. (Just don't update it) After that, connect to your modem and and call your ISP and ask them to allow your new unit. Or, if you're lucky you will be directed to a page where you can do it yourself.
Options
2018-07-24 00:22:07
Ah, thanks akewinther - that's a possibility. I'll try that. Didn't need to do that to get my old airport extreme connected, but I'll get in touch with plusNet (I might grow old waiting for them to answer though ;)
Options
2018-07-25 08:10:17
Hmm, been in touch with TWO PlusNet Tech Reps... one denied all knowledge of anything called "MAC Filtering" and wants to replace my modem. The other acknowledged the existence of MAC Filtering but said PlusNet DEFINITELY don't do it. Meanwhile I still have 3 expensive paperweights and an error message "Failed to connect to TP-Link Cloud."

What you reckon folks... should I try a new modem (BT Hub1) for £6.50 postage from PlusNet, or should I give up as a bad job and try to get a refund on the Decos?
Options
2018-07-25 12:04:46
First, try connecting the Deco to your modem (PlusNet fibre) on the LAN side and register it there to eliminate the MAC filter possibility.
Options
2018-07-26 06:32:40
RESOLVED - by changing the modem from BT Openreach ECI B-FOCUS V-2FUb/r Rev.B to BT/Plusnet Hub 1.

Clearly an issue with an obsolete modem

Thanks to all for your thoughts on the issue
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3581

Replies: 7

Related Articles