Connecting Smart Devices over Deco M5 on 2.4ghz

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-07-27 14:58:30
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I have a Xiaomi Robo Vacuum Cleaner and the Deco m5 set up at home.

I understand that the m5 broadcast in both 2.4ghz and 5ghz at the same time on the same SSID
Now problem is, the robo vacuum cleaner can only work on 2.4ghz, and i am unable to connect to only the 2.4ghz frequency on the m5 to setup the vacuum cleaner.
I googled and it seems like a lot of smart devices are using 2.4ghz but m5 can't broadcast 2 different SSIDs.

Does anyone have any idea on how to work around this?

Thanks.
Options
3 Reply
Re:Connecting Smart Devices over Deco M5 on 2.4ghz
2018-08-04 12:35:56
I have the same robot cleaner. It's working fine here, but I think it's because it joined my wifi network when I had an older system - the network name and password stayed the same. I think because it already knew the details it just connected and off it went.

So perhaps borrow an older wifi router or even an simple access point and set it up with the same authentication details as your new network (you'll need to make sure you use the same authentication type like WPA2). Then turn off deco and set the robot up. Then switch the temporary one off and turn Deco on again. The robot should be able to connect.
Options
2018-08-04 17:28:00
You could probably even rename your phone to the Deco's wifi name and turn on "personal hotspot" feature?
Options
2018-08-06 10:20:26
So i have a workabout for this with suggest from TP-Link's support.

I turned off all m5s except for the main one that's connected to my modem.
Off i go to the furthest corner of my home, and my phone will connect to the 2.4ghz (given the characteristics of this frequency), set the robo vacuum to search mode, and voila, the robo vacumm connects to the 2.4ghz now.
After setting up, I switched on the rest of the m5s and have no issues thereafter.

Suggested to TP-link support to have an option of turning off the m5's 5ghz option in the app as there are more smart devices riding on the 2.4ghz frequency. They will bring this up and we will see if there's any changes.
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2943

Replies: 3

Related Articles