Cable router vs modem and wireless router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-08-04 13:53:50
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi everyone,

For a long time I use to get internet from my ISP modem and I used my own WiFi router to get WiFi to devices. But most recently I got Spectrum service with cable and the ISP installed and Arris router that seems to be a modem and wireless router because I had never seen a wireless router with a coaxial cable. I was so used to seeing the coax in a modem and then Ethernet from it to a wireless router. Now, the question is if I'm able to remove the Arris and place my own modem and plug and Ethernet from it to a wireless router. Or is there a special set up I have to do or permission from ISP
Options
3 Reply
Re:Cable router vs modem and wireless router
2018-08-08 17:36:10
Since Arris router has a coaxial cable, does your modem support coaxial cable access?

If yes, you may try to remove Arris router to reconnect your modem and router.

Tips: you may also contact your ISP to help you do some mac clone release..
Options
2018-08-11 00:03:21
Depends on your ISP. I have Comcast here ,near Denver. Found out what modems they support (depends on your connection speed). Installed a SB-6183, connected my laptop, answered questions and an hour later I was up and running. The cable company downloads a config file to the modem that contains your connection speed among other settings. Shut down everything, plug in router, power up modem and wait for it to become active, the start router. Much easier than DSL !!!
Options
2020-11-30 12:37:01

Who can confidently pick the best product among those listed on this site?
https://buywirelessrouternow.com/best-wireless-router-for-under-100-usd/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1692

Replies: 3