QoS sucks, is there a solution?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-08-07 21:10:14
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,I have the base package of three Deco M5 connected to an ADSL technicolor modem/router which I have bridged.There is a five port switch with one PC and a Philips Hue system, connected with a CAT6 to the main Deco. Everything else (AppleTV, one MacBook, one other PC, and five music streaming devices (Gramofon and Qualcomm AllPlay-based), and three iPhones and an iPad, all running the latest OS’sThe Deco is set as router, with a QoS set to Gaming. Yet, it allows the Mac, the iPad and the Iphones to have iCloud take all upload capacity (2Mbps) and most of the download. And when one of the PC’s start downloading updates to their games, eg Steam, then the same thing happens, the QoS doesn’t seem to handle downloading compared to gaming, at all. Same thing goes for streaming on the AppleTV or heavy YouTube HD, then the boys using their PC’s start screaming because the games just stop. Ping rate goes through the roof and no download or upload capacity at all for the games.I’ve tried using my own settings as well, setting everything to low, except for gaming, but that doesn’t work either.I have the latest firmware for the decos.Please help. I’ll throw them into the ocean soon. With the lousy modem/router that couldn’t handle QoS at all (I set the decos to AP-mode and removed bridging of the modem/router)Pleeeeeease....Btw, I’ve tried priority settings as well. Didn’t help either...
Options
8 Reply
Re:QoS sucks, is there a solution?
2018-08-08 16:37:49
Do you mean you set Gaming as high Qos and others normal?

However, other activities, such as gaming can't work properly when you start to download?

it's not very clear to figure out your settings about Qos.

suggest you to email tp-link support directly with your configuration settings of Qos to ask for specific help.
Options
2018-08-08 19:17:28
What works in my home (with sometimes 9 or more people on a DSL connection that maxes out at 15Mbps), is to set the devices that MUST have priority to have "High, All the Time". I have the QoS set to the default setting. That way, the three or four devices that have HIGH priority, will share it among themselves, if they're active. The low priority device-holders don't seem to complain. Most of the HIGH priority devices are my own personal ones - if I'm working, my computer needs to "win", and if I get some downtime to watch Netflix, my TV needs to win.

It seems to work and as far as I'm aware, the rest of the household doesn't seem to notice. You can't make bandwidth out of nothing, so maybe you just have to decide which devices must "win" the race for what you have. When those devices aren't active, everyone else gets to battle for the bandwidth. I can confirm that if I speedtest on one of my devices that hasn't been active for a while, I watch the speed start at about 4Mbps or whatever, then increases up to 13-14...so the QoS does kick in....

I hope this helps, just telling you what works in our household.
Options
2018-08-09 18:54:43
Bowen98 and baobab68,

as I mentioned, I've tried several options. One was to set QoS to Gaming. Another to manually set Gaming to High and all other options to Low. Neither helped - as soon as someone started a download, either from my Mac, inside of the games or outside of the games (from another software, not being a game), the download took priority and their games lagged as much that the game quit and they became banned.

I've also tried setting their PC's a Priority = High, but the same thing as above has happened - when a download started, their high priority didn't seem so high as my Mac download, which was set to "normal" priority (Within quotes as there is only High setting on devices)

Could this be because of the iCloud download/upload process being ranked as game by the M5 Deco?
But why is a download of new SW version of macOS and iOS ranked higher than their games (LoL, CSGo, Fortnite)? Is that type of download also ranked as game? Or are these games not in the profile of Gaming of the M5?

/Niclas
Options
2018-08-10 16:07:09
I can only tell you how it looks from my end...QOS on "Standard", and prioritise the devices which should be allowed to "win" when they need internet. For our network, it's not a matter of "what" they're using it for, but instead I care "who" is using it - if it's one of my own personal devices, I win out over the other people in the house (which is ok cos I'm not actually at home that often).

I always thought the gamin profile would be about prioritising pings to know game servers to prevent lag "within" a game rather than for the downloading of the game in the first place.
Options
2018-08-11 07:36:56
Well, as I wrote, priority doesn’t work either. My Mac, without priority, is allowed to take up all the ADSL capacity for a download, while the high priority PC’s can’t download or upload or game at all. So I’d say something’s wrong with the priority handling in the firmware, and the profile handling as well, since it cannot prioritize the games over downloads.Would be great if someone from TP-Link could care to help out.
Options
2018-08-11 17:52:49
TBH I have no idea what the other residents of my house use their computers for. Gaming, video streaming, chat etc, no idea. But I can certainly see that QOS takes effect for my devices. My setup is simple, just an old DSL modem and the main deco connected to that. The wifi of the modem is turned off, so the only avenue for people to connect is via the deco units. If anyone was connecting via the wifi of the modem, that would defeat the QOS on the decos, I guess.

I'm just trying to help...are there any VPN's or traffic encryption that might not allow the Deco's to know what each bit of traffic is? The only reason I comment on any of it is because it really has worked very well here.
Options
2018-08-13 22:53:36
Dude I'm in the exact same predicament as you. My households smartphones choke my 2mbps upload bandwidth when I'm playing online games, causing abnormal lags that make me quit the game.
I've tried everything, but the truth is that Deco's QoS simply sucks.

If anyone has a solution please keep me updated, I leaning towards buying an openwrt router and making the deco's act as AP, but that would be an overkill because 2 deco unit cover every corner in my house in terms of wifi, so adding another box to mix is overkill..
Options
2018-08-14 15:29:11

baobab68 wrote

TBH I have no idea what the other residents of my house use their computers for. Gaming, video streaming, chat etc, no idea. But I can certainly see that QOS takes effect for my devices. My setup is simple, just an old DSL modem and the main deco connected to that. The wifi of the modem is turned off, so the only avenue for people to connect is via the deco units. If anyone was connecting via the wifi of the modem, that would defeat the QOS on the decos, I guess.
I'm just trying to help...are there any VPN's or traffic encryption that might not allow the Deco's to know what each bit of traffic is? The only reason I comment on any of it is because it really has worked very well here.

Nothing. And all worked pretty well up until the last firmware update. Dunno if that's the issue but it happened at about the same timeframe.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 5400

Replies: 8