Using TP-Link TL-WR841N as a range extender

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2012-11-09 20:54:01
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WR841N

Hardware Version : v7

Firmware Version :

ISP : SKY

Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-WR841N

Hardware Version : V7

Firmware Version :

ISP : SKY

Hi

I'm using my Sky wireless router in an upstairs room but it doesn't cover the whole of the house and garden.

I therefore set up a spare TP-Link wireless router (TL-WR841N) downstairs in order to extend the range.
I disabled DHCP server and set a static IP address (different to my Sky router but within the same range).

I then set up the Wireless settings (SSID, Channel, security).
So my Sky router is 192.168.0.1, channel 1, security with password and SSIS is network1
And my TP-Link is 192.168.0.2. channel 6, security with password and SSIS is network2
I have a wired cat5e connection from the TP-Link to the network (i.e. routers can connect over the wired LAN rather than wirelessly/WDS bridging?).

This means that if I'm using a device upstairs then I connect to network1.
If I'm downstairs I connect to network2.

My question is can I use the second router (the TP-Link) purely as a range extender without specifying a different SSID etc.?
That way I would only see one wireless network (network1) rather than the 2 that I currently have (network1 and network2).
I presume then that I would just connect to whichever access point was nearest/gave the strongest signal?

How do I set the Tp-Link TL-WR841N up to do that?

Thanks
Options
2 Reply
Re:Using TP-Link TL-WR841N as a range extender
2012-11-10 08:07:36
As far as I am concerned, the TP-LINK will have its own network either setting it up by using the WDS bridging or the way you have done. I think you can try this: leave the channel and IP address as what you already had, then on the TP-LINK router, you man set the same SSID as network1, use the same security type and same password as the Sky router has.
I think the wireless clients will automatically pick up the one which has a better signal when you are at different places.
Hope this can help.
Options
Re:Using TP-Link TL-WR841N as a range extender
2020-03-23 06:20:21

@sharon is the issue fixed? I too have the same issue.

- MCL Aircon

- MCL Flooring

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6578

Replies: 2

Related Articles