HS210 induced or phantom voltage sending "off" feedback to Kasa

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-11-13 03:43:40 - last edited 2018-11-13 03:48:06

I have a five way switch arrangement using one HS210 (replacing a mechanical 3way) and the rest are 4way and 3way mechanical switches. Wiring is correct and everything functions fine physically but if both traveler wires are landed on the HS210, the app cannot understand proper feedback nor quickly toggle on/off. Instead if I press the app button initially to turn lights on, it responds but will not function again for several seconds and if waiting that time period the indicator in the app always goes off even if the lights are on. Basically it doesn't know what to do because the cold traveler wire has a small amount of voltage (tested with Fluke787) of (0.7vac). If I lift the cold traveler wire everything works perfectly with the app but I cannot turn the lights on from anywhere else in the house.

I am operating (x8) non dimmable 10w outside LED flood lights that are the equivalent of 90w bulbs each so essentially turning on an 80w load. is there a recommended resistor I can add to eliminate the small amount of induced voltage to restore complete functionality? If so what resistance and how should it be wired? 

Options
3 Reply
Re:HS210 induced or phantom voltage sending "off" feedback to Kasa
2018-12-15 15:23:04 - last edited 2018-12-15 15:26:09

I think that I am having a similar problem, but my configuration is less complex. I have a 3-way circuit with two 3-way switches.

The lighting circuit has 6 can lights on it with led bulbs.

I replaced one of the 3-ways with a HS-210. The switches work fine if controlled manually except that the power-on indicator in the app never glows if I activate either of the switches manually. However, if I activate the HS210 to turn on the lights via the app the power-on indicator illuminates momentarily then goes out after a second or two. The lights stay on as they should. 

I am able to turn the lights on from Alexa, but am not able to turn off the lights via Alexa. 

This is my second set of HS210 switches. I returned the first set to Amazon as I thought that the HS210's were defective.

I am wondering if this is the same type of problem as reported by the other user (OffShoreChirp)?

Options
2018-12-26 22:28:08

Similar symptoms but even a less complex setup TP Link Forum Post .  Eager to hear if either thread gets a reply.

Options
2019-08-27 05:22:12 - last edited 2019-08-27 05:24:25

Experieced essentially identical symptoms to others here on one of my circuits (Circuit B), when I split the HS210 pair to use on 2 separate circuits.

The first circuit, let's call it Circuit A, consisted of 1 HS210 (on load side) and a dumb 3-way switch. This worked without issue, and reported the ON/OFF status correctly.

The 2nd circuit, let's call it Circuit B, consisted of 1 HS210, a dumb 3-way switch and a 4-way switch in the middle. This circuit exhibited the incorrect status that others have reported. I also measured approximately 40VAC on the supposedly "cold" traveller when the light is on. A poster (arodey) on the other thread reported that replacing both 3-way dumb switches with the 2 HS210's resolved the issue for him.

I then decided to move the HS210 from Circuit B to another circuit (Circuit C, line side this time) which only has 3-way switches (like Circuit A), and again no ON/OFF status issue.

So my conclusion is that mixing HS210 with a dumb 3-way switch would work if there are no 4-way switches in between. If your circuit has one or more 4-way switches, then you would likely need to use both HS210's on the same circuit. Hope this helps.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2579

Replies: 3