RE650 Access Point Mode - Iphone 8 / IOS 12.1 incompatibility issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-11-27 01:51:08

This is likely an apple issue, but figured I would also post here in case anyone had any ideas.. I've had a re650 in place acting as the sole wireless access point in our household for almost a year now with no issues what so ever. Recently I've added an Iphone 8 with ios 12.1 and have been running into a really odd issue with it. Any other wifi router / AP  (I've tested around 6 others now) there are 0 issues, but when connected to the re650 I get random timeouts. Interestingly enough only to google (from what I've seen). I can stream and browse other sites while being unable to hit google.com, youtube, and any google affiliate site. This is a periodic and random issue. It will last 5 min or so and then everything will return to normal, or I can disconnect reconnect my iphone and everything returns to normal.  

Now you might suggest this is an upstream or router issue, but I am unable to reproduce this on any other device. Additionally I ran packet captures on my router (pfsense) and I seem to be getting into a retransmit loop. Basically my iphone keeps sending google syn packets and google responds with syn ack, but those syn ack packets never make it to the iphone yet they leave the router. I'm perplexed by this issue as it almost seems like a QOS type issue, but I am unware of any QOS behind the scenes of the RE650. After 50-60 packets I get a RST and the connection closes. I don't really suspect a hardware issue with either device as both seem to operate fine with other device or other networks, this honestly seems like some incompatibility issue. I just don't get how/why it is seemingly only google.com that I've been able to repro this issue with. 

For sake of troubleshooting I also added my old ASUS AP back into the network under a different SSID and I have yet to encounter this behavior.. 

RE650 is in AP mode w/ latest firmware.

Options
2 Reply
Re:RE650 Access Point Mode - Iphone 8 / IOS 12.1 incompatibility issues
2018-12-21 06:59:27

It's very rare. 

You can contact tplink tec support to get some advice.

Options
Re:RE650 Access Point Mode - Iphone 8 / IOS 12.1 incompatibility issues
2018-12-22 06:13:01 - last edited 2018-12-23 06:01:07

Hmm. I wonder if it's somehow related to an issue I had with my RE450 bridge. I have 2 gigabit LAN networks bridged using an RE450 in the livingroom (WiFi extension disbled, only bridge mode) and a TP-Link Archer C1200 in the office where the internet is.

When I have my DirecTV DVR LAN port connected to a switch (tried two different switches) going through the RE450 to the internet side, my bridge fell apart and was unstable. Using a computer on either end pinging two different destinations on the other end would result in random 200-300ms delays. Sometimes a delay would only happen to one destination and not the other pinging from the same computer, while other times it would be flipped or the delay would be split between each destination.

I haven't run any packet captures yet, but I really want to soon to see WHY the DirecTV box is killing my bridge. When I pull the cable out of DirecTV, my pings go to 1 to 3. But after 4 seconds of plugging in the network cable to DirecTV, the bridge is unstable and packets are being held somewhere and delayed. And the DirecTV box wasn't even using any bandwidth, the switch LEDs hardly blinked.

I don't know yet if it's being caused by the RE450 or the router on the other end. I'll need to reprogram my old ASUS RT-N12 WiFi router in bridge mode to replace my new RE450 and see if I still see delayed packets.

I have since fixed the issue by using the DirecTV's WiFi to connect directly to my router's WiFi. But if I can figure out what those packets are that DirecTV is sending out, maybe this could be an exploited vulnerability all these extenders or routers have.

EDIT: Just tested it, even though I have my DirecTV DVR set to use my WiFi for its connectivity, when I plug in the ethernet cable into my bridge I lose pings instantly again. Strange, even though the LAN is not used on the DirecTV, it still kill my bridge.

EDIT2 (12/22/18): Pulled my RE450 bridge and installed my old ASUS RT-N12 w/Tomato firmware in client bridge mode. Basically the same configuration. Plugging in the DirecTV DVR had the same affect, but maybe about 40% lower. The pings still had a delayed affect and had random timing affects on the pings. So maybe the router has the problem. But, knowing the shlt firmware of the (AT&T now owned) DirecTV GUI, I could say the DirecTV receiver is flooding the network. But more tests need to be done.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 842

Replies: 2