RE450 transmit vs receive speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-12-14 07:19:44

I just received my RE450 range extender yesterday. Updated it to the latest firmware (20171215-rel55534). I set it up in the livingroom going through a few walls about 30 feet away from the main router which is an Archer C1200, I know which is technically slower than the RE450 AC1750. I'm using an extension cord to raise it a little higher from the lower outlet.

I turned off the extended network since I'm only using the RE450 as a wireless bridge to LAN to the livingroom. I'm using the 5GHz channel for the bridge, and my channel is clear viewed using a WiFi Analyzer app. I have a LAN computer on each side of the bridge. I run iperf3 with 10 parallel tests to maximize my bandwidth and I measured the RE450 transmit 336Mbit and receive 526Mbit from my C1200. I would have thought the numbers would be reversed due to AC1750 vs AC1200.

I haven't tried all possible tests yet, like swapping the computers to see if it's computer hardware/driver related since that would be difficult. But accessing a 2nd computer in the livingroom had the same result. Has anyone ran into situations like this when each direction has a different speed? Could it be the lack of beamforming in the RE450?

Attached a screen shot.

File:
bandwidth.jpgDownload
Options
2 Reply
Re:RE450 transmit vs receive speed
2018-12-21 07:21:25

So the speed between the router and your RE450 is 526, RE450 and computer is 336? Do you check wireless link speed of the wireless network card on your computer? Do you check wireless link speed of the wireless network card on your computer? 

AC1200 and AC1750 refers to maximum wifi link speed it can achieve. Whether it can reach the maximum depends on the device of the other side as well. And it's not the real internet speed. Usually internet speed will be about 60% of the link speed. With interference and obstacles, it may be less than 60%. 

Options
Re:Re:RE450 transmit vs receive speed
2018-12-22 05:03:29

vampire_lady wrote

So the speed between the router and your RE450 is 526, RE450 and computer is 336? Do you check wireless link speed of the wireless network card on your computer? Do you check wireless link speed of the wireless network card on your computer? 

AC1200 and AC1750 refers to maximum wifi link speed it can achieve. Whether it can reach the maximum depends on the device of the other side as well. And it's not the real internet speed. Usually internet speed will be about 60% of the link speed. With interference and obstacles, it may be less than 60%. 

Yes, my router sends to the RE450 at ~526. And the RE450 sends to my router at ~336. Other than my router and the RE450, everything else is hard wired through gigabit LAN ports. I'm basically bridging 2 gigabit LAN networks through the WiFi. I just find it odd I get nearly half the transmit speed in the RE450 than I do with my router that's technically a WiFi specification lower. I know the link is as slow as the lowest spec WiFi too, so they should be theoretically linked at the router's AC1200 spec.

My bandwidth numbers are raw network bandwidth using DU Meter. I don't really care about real data bandwidth because I know there's overhead in the transmition so my real data throughput is lower. And internet speed doesn't really pertain to anything since I transfer files through the WiFi bridge. I always test using raw network throughput. And I also test transferring files from each computer that both have SSDs. Either SSD to SSD or iperf3 to iperf3 both have the same result in bandwidth usage.

It just seems like either the RE450 has a bug or transmit limitation, or my router transmits faster due to beam forming. Maybe if I had beam forming tech on both ends each transmit would be the same, but I don't know. Which is why I'm wondering if anyone else has had experiences like this?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2216

Replies: 2