Deco M9 Plus. Besides a Blacklist, does it also have a Whitelist option?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-12-16 09:50:09

I'm considering to buy a Deco M9 plus set. One requirement that I have is that only known devices are allowed to connect. I know it's possible to add a device to a Blacklist, but I would rather add all my known devices to a Whitelist and automagicaly block other unknown devices.

Does the Deco M9 plus has option for only allowing devices on a Whiltelist?

best regards,

Fred

Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Plus. Besides a Blacklist, does it also have a Whitelist option?
2018-12-17 07:49:25
No whitelist
Options
2018-12-25 11:12:09
Thanks for your feedback. Will evaluate and add the Whitelist feature in future updates.
Options
Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus. Besides a Blacklist, does it also have a Whitelist option?
2019-01-20 05:56:44 - last edited 2019-01-20 05:58:56

Soon please!

I have to turn off all security because it's blocking valid sites.  It's blocking access to Windows update service even! Must have white-list abilities to allow the accidental blocks to pass, without being forced to shut down all security.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus. Besides a Blacklist, does it also have a Whitelist option?
2019-03-30 11:30:11

I think (& indeed hope) that this request relates to mac addresses & devices allowed to access the deco network. Mine keeps on getting hacked by different mac addresses, (the individual obviously knows that they can only be blocked after they have connected). This definitely not very good at all as they attach to network & have their wicked way on it before I am able to block them. If I was aware of this glaring security flaw I would not looked twice at deco, especially considering how expensive it is you'd think that such a basic thing as this would be installed out the box. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus. Besides a Blacklist, does it also have a Whitelist option?
2019-03-31 23:51:15

MAC address whitelisting doesn't really provide a lot of security.   - It can help to prevent devices accidentally joining your network  - for example a neighbour who you gave guest access to, but now accidentally connects when they get into a blackspot on their own network, and can't figure out why they can't see their own network.  It won't protect you against anyone capable of hacking through the rest of your security - they could just clone a MAC address off something that's already on your network. 

Incidentally, you can block by MAC address before they join your network not just after they connect to the network as your post implies...

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus. Besides a Blacklist, does it also have a Whitelist option?
2019-04-01 01:48:25

Rich123 wrote

I think (& indeed hope) that this request relates to mac addresses & devices allowed to access the deco network. Mine keeps on getting hacked by different mac addresses, (the individual obviously knows that they can only be blocked after they have connected). This definitely not very good at all as they attach to network & have their wicked way on it before I am able to block them. If I was aware of this glaring security flaw I would not looked twice at deco, especially considering how expensive it is you'd think that such a basic thing as this would be installed out the box. 

Hi, the Deco supports blacklist for parental control only yet, while we have forwarded it to our R&D department and they are working on it.

Back to your case, I wanna say that other devices are not able to join the wifi network without the password; you can change it regularly; meanwhile, how do you know that it has been hacked? Any specific symptoms? 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco M9 Plus. Besides a Blacklist, does it also have a Whitelist option?
2019-04-10 19:51:04

Yes I can see it as a new device that has connected on the report. To say that it is easy to hack a white list it is not as easy as it is to hack a WiFi password & yes I have changed the password frequently but to no avail. 

Options
2020-03-05 22:40:34

@TP-Link Deco 
I agree. This is crucial. My kids now do not have access to ordinry websites that they need to use. The solution can not be to turn off security in general.

Please look into this ASAP.

Options
2020-03-06 02:50:39

@Isse 

Thanks for your reply. We have noted your request and will forward to our product engineers. 

Options
2020-06-01 14:59:08

@Kevin_Z 

You 'all are making good points...

However; given all the comments about how your really can't keep any decent hacker out... you should at least be able to restrict devices from doing anything on your network

when they connect as "Unknown".  I understand all the arguments made in this particular post and the many above, but much like other users, I have a device that is constantly popping up as joining my network and I can't for the life of me identify the device.

I would have expected that without having to react with blacklisting the device once it joined the network, that I could maybe use the automation feature.

That would be the most logical place to allow managers to create an action to blacklist the device if it comes across as "Unkonw" (or any other kind of identifyable information).

I really wish that could be implemented as I am otherwise very happy with my deco M9. 

Kevin_Z wrote

Rich123 wrote

Hi, the Deco supports blacklist for parental control only yet, while we have forwarded it to our R&D department and they are working on it.

Back to your case, I wanna say that other devices are not able to join the wifi network without the password; you can change it regularly; meanwhile, how do you know that it has been hacked? Any specific symptoms? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1831

Replies: 10