NAT Hairpin/Loopback

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

NAT Hairpin/Loopback

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
NAT Hairpin/Loopback
NAT Hairpin/Loopback
2018-12-17 15:53:25 - last edited 2021-07-13 01:15:10

Hi all,

Ok so I thought it was a case of either supporting it or not supporting it.  But for some reason the Deco seems to "kind of" support it , when it can be bothered. 

To give context of what is happening , I have a bunch of web cameras which I access from my mobile device (phone) on a regular basis. Each one is accessed via a DDNS domain name and NAT'd on my router using port forwarding (ie incoming connections to router IP address on port 8000 is forwarded to 1 camera on port 80, and 8001 is forwarded to a different camera on port 80 etc. 

With my old router I used to do this and it worked absolutely fine when accessing these either internally or externally from my home network. 

I've now got the Deco as a router and have set up forwarding the same as before, but connectivity to the cameras when I'm inside my network sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, and when it does, it is hideously slow.

I've tried disabling the IPS etc on the Deco to see if it was that, but alas it makes no difference. 

Pretty sure I can't be the only person with a Deco that is wanting to do such a basic thing like this.... help?  

Does it support it or not? 

Options
42 Reply
Re:NAT Hairpin/Loopback
2018-12-19 08:11:24

Do you have M5 or M9 plus? Is firmware updated?

WAN IP address is public? If not, port forwarding or DDNS on Deco doesn't take effect. 

I think you can change the DNS to 8.8.8.8. Give it a shot. 

Options
Re:Re:NAT Hairpin/Loopback
2018-12-19 10:08:02
m5, yes up to date., yes... as i say, it was working 100% fine with my old router (linksys 1900acs) dns server isn't really relevant. it is using my own internal pihole dns server. the same as i always have done. but it makes no difference if using external one or not. the ip which that ddns server resolves to is the external IP address of the router all of the time.
Options
2018-12-20 15:52:34

anyone?  TPLink? :(

Options
2018-12-21 03:38:39

Check Antivirus altert history, is anything related being blocked?

Try disable Antivirus.

Can you still ping the camera from your phone or computer when you cannot access internally?

To further troubleshoot, you'd better contact tplink tec support directly. They can provide timely assistance.

Options
Re:Re:Re:NAT Hairpin/Loopback
2018-12-21 11:22:34

i''ve disabled everything. 

yes I can access it internally via their internal IP addresses

i've sent emails to tplink and got no reply at all in over a week... so hardly "timely" :( 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:NAT Hairpin/Loopback
2018-12-22 15:14:53 - last edited 2018-12-22 15:27:25

OK so a little bit of experimentation. 

it seems that traffic IS getting through, albiet only sporadically.  for example, when connected to my wifi using my public DNS name and port forwarding (as is the main problem described above) the image only updates every approx 30 seconds.   connected to the LAN IP address of the camera OR connecting to the public IP when connected OUTSIDE of the wireless internal network (ie via 3G data on my phone)... it updates a few times per second! 

very odd and I cannot work it out.  please help TPLink

makes no difference if AV/IPS etc are on or off and nothing in the logs relating to things being blocked. (not that there are many logs)

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:NAT Hairpin/Loopback
2018-12-26 06:34:41
which email you send to,and which country are you located in? I found the contact information https://www.tp-link.com/en/contact.html
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:NAT Hairpin/Loopback
2019-01-08 09:55:46
uk. and I can't remember. anyway, bump in the abject desperation and optimism that TP Link actually look at these forums.
Options
2019-01-23 10:13:36

I've got the same issue.

As far as I can tell right now, this is the biggest setback and disadvantage of this product.

Even considering to return it in case I'll not be able to find a nice workaround..

Options
2019-01-29 09:48:09

Please make sure you have updated to the latest firmware and latest app at first.

Then try the below tips.

1. Disable Antivirus.

2. Set QoS level as Standard.

3. Cancel high priority on any client device, including offline devices.

4. Remove your clients from the profiles under Parental Control if you have.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 22013

Replies: 42

Related Articles