Ceiling Fan with TPLink Switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-12-20 15:15:30

Hi,

I'm starting my intelligent home setup and I have a problem and can't find an answer.

In my bedroom, I have a ceiling fan. So, my normal switch, control both the light and fan. In general, and normal dimmer si not recommand because of the fan. And, for my normal switch, if I turn Off, everything is Off and if I turn On, everything is On. So, what I do in the summer, I control the light from the chain et my switch is always On to let my fan always working.

Now, I want to pu an intelligent switch and I don't know if I should buy a HS200, a HS220 or nothing at all.

Will the TPLink switch be able to control the fan and the light independatly or it will act as a normal switch and recognize both my light and fan as one?

What is the best solution/setup I should use for a ceiling fan?

Thank you very much

Options
6 Reply
Re:Ceiling Fan with TPLink Switch
2018-12-21 06:41:19

HS220 is a dimmer switch, if you don't have dimmer light, no need to purchase it. 

HS200 is two way switch, it will requires neutral, live and load lines. If you replace your old switch with the HS200, then it will control both fan and light all together. 

If you want to control them independately, maybe you can look at smart plugs. Connect the fan or light to the plug, then control the plug separately.

Options
Re:Re:Ceiling Fan with TPLink Switch
2018-12-22 19:36:32

Correct, it sounds like you will have to control the light on/off with the cain on the fan.  Unless you want to go to the expense of running more wiring and another switch for the light to run separately. 

I like the idea of buying floor or table light and getting a smart plug that controls that. So you can turn on a light independently of the fan. 

Options
2018-12-24 19:36:26

Thank you for the answer!
I would have loved a way to control both independently from one switch, maybe one day!

Options
Re:Re:Ceiling Fan with TPLink Switch
2019-01-02 18:52:36
you would require a little more wiring but what you are thinking is currently possible with some time and investment. option A universal remote conversion kit for ceiling fan + a smart RF repeater Option B there are wifi universal remote conversion kits out there. i have option a and it works well but def considering option b in the future
Options
Re:Re:Re:Ceiling Fan with TPLink Switch
2019-02-09 16:54:32

I believe that, if you can use HS220 with a ceiling fan, you should do that. And for the light, you may replace it by a smart bulb that you can control using the app. 

However I am still trying to figure out whether is it possible to use the HS220 with a ceiling fan.

Options
2020-08-03 02:28:32
Be sure to check your wiring behind the switch. A lot of installers run 3-way wire (12/3 or 14/3) which has black, wire, red and ground. The run red to one part of the fixture and the black to another part. I that is the case for you, then you can run one hs200 for the fan and another one for the light. If you don't have box space enough for it, you could replace the box. Short of that (haha), you could wire nut the Fan's line directly (use the chain for it) and use the hs200 for the light (or the other way around and user smart bulbs). Hope this helps!
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 10989

Replies: 6