Hs200 light not working.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Hs200 light not working.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Hs200 light not working.
Hs200 light not working.
2018-12-27 18:02:01 - last edited 2018-12-27 18:03:48

I am trying to replace a single pole light switch.it has one black wire(verified as hot) and one white wire (verified as neutral).  The switch controls power to the fan / light.  When switch is on, the light and / or fan will work based on its controls.  After connecting white to white and black to 1 black wire on HS200, I am able to setup switch on wifi.  Problem is it wont turn on the fan / light.  What am I missing?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Hs200 light not working.
2018-12-28 05:32:20

You need two black wires - line in and load out, and a white wire - neutral.  If you don't have that 2nd black you've probably got a "power through fixture" circuit and the switch won't work there.

AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2018-12-30 16:26:13
What if you tie both black wires to your load wire?
Options
Re:Re:Hs200 light not working.
2018-12-30 19:09:52
Nothing will change, that simply bypasses the HS200's relay.
Options
2020-04-06 20:26:22

@MikeP  so what switch would you need to replace a "power through circuit" switch? 

MikeP wrote

You need two black wires - line in and load out, and a white wire - neutral.  If you don't have that 2nd black you've probably got a "power through fixture" circuit and the switch won't work there.

Options
2020-04-06 23:31:00

@Magnum354 Unfortunately you need to figure out how to bring a neutral wire to the switch.  There is a spare white in your picture, if it's a newer home could be a neutral.  Was it bundled with anything originally?

Proper (up to code) wiring of power through fixture would use the white as hot from the fixture and marked in some way (often with black tape or a stripe).  The black would return hot to the load/fixture when the switch is on.  You do need to be certain what every wire is carrying to make this work safely.

Options
2021-01-05 07:13:09

@MikeP 

I have 2 black wires and 2 white wires. I also noticed 2 copper wires screwed to the back. 

Ive tried just the 2 black and 1 white and was able to get it to power on and connect to app but the light won't turn on. The light fixture is an old round fixture. Could the fixture be the problem? 

I've also switched each black and white connections to troubleshoot and either same issue or no power to the switch.

I unscrewed the copper wires too and connected to green on switch and still no light. 

I have the hs200 version 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 6828

Replies: 6

Related Articles