HS220 - LED Bulb Compatability

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-09 05:40:06 - last edited 2019-01-09 06:17:59

Has anyone found any led bulbs that don't flicker, hum or buzz when installed with the HS220 and dimmed? I have 2 HS220s controlling 11 recessed lights in the living room. I've tried varying BR20 bulbs from brands, Philips (they Buzz), Sunco (they flicker) and Giant Eagle (they buzz). I initially thought I found the holy grail of bulbs in the Philips when I installed one and heard no buzzing and experienced no flickering. However when 11 of them were installed the buzzing is quite audible when dimmed. I'm due to try some Hyperikon bulbs as well.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a no buzz, hum or flicker solution? I've tried tech support with regards to the HS220 and the only bulb recommended was the TP-Link smart bulbs which defeats the purpose of having a smart switch.

Further, does anyone know the type of dimmer technology used in the HS220? Is it similar to the ELV dimmers that are in the Lutron products? This information does not appear to be disclosed in the supporting information on the HS220 and tech support has not been helpful in identifying the type of dimmer used.

Options
5 Reply
Re:HS220 - LED Bulb Compatability
2019-01-09 09:02:32

TP-Link smart bulbs are not dimmerable LED, it can't work with dimmer switch.

Various brands of dimmerable bulbs used in mixture are likely to lead to compatibility problems, they may flicker or buzz. 

Hope someone can share their story.

Options
2019-04-17 01:05:41

I just installed the dimmer switch and I’m having a buzzing issue at lower levels.  Were you able to find a brand that worked?  I have the ecosmart dimmable daylight LEDs right now since they were the most affordable.  I don’t want to waste money and multiple trips to the store looking for bulbs that don’t exist...

The fixture is over a vanity and has 8 bulbs, so I think the number of bulbs buzzing at the same time is what makes the sound so noticeable.

Options
Re:Re:HS220 - LED Bulb Compatability
2019-04-18 06:48:18

seems that there is no compatibility list, while cause the HS220 is a dimmer switch, theoretically, as the led is dimmeable and the load is lower than the power consumption of HS220, it can work with it. 

DCblackhole wrote

I just installed the dimmer switch and I’m having a buzzing issue at lower levels.  Were you able to find a brand that worked?  I have the ecosmart dimmable daylight LEDs right now since they were the most affordable.  I don’t want to waste money and multiple trips to the store looking for bulbs that don’t exist...

The fixture is over a vanity and has 8 bulbs, so I think the number of bulbs buzzing at the same time is what makes the sound so noticeable.

Options
2022-03-02 14:42:57

@OneChiOnly 

I haven't found any compatible LED tube lights for the HS220 dimmer switch.  The dimming type of this switch is listed as: Leading Edge Dimming/Triac Phase Cut or Forward Phase Control (Triac Based and PWM (Pulse Width Modulation).  It is frustrating to purchase a product and not be able to purchase compatible LED's. 

Options
2022-06-05 04:22:39

@OneChiOnly

Well don't ask customer noservice.   They report any dimmable bulb is fully supported.  (idiots).   Mind you their answers to dave have been just slighly below infantile, so...

Feit, who's switches I'm returning, seem to have quiet bulbs.  I've 6 in my master bedroom on my 1 remainig Feit dimmer and they make no noise and dim well.

Those switches allow you to set minimum value and I certainly hope the Kasa's do as well.   At 7% as a minimum these are fine.  Perhaps a super fast flicker you'd be inclined to call a "shimmer", but I rarely notice it.  One of those "only see it if you're looking carefully" things.

Well they work for you?  Dunno.  But I'm gonna find out soon...

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 5512

Replies: 5