Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

384 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2022-09-05 03:02:46

@Hami Have you found anything out at all yet.. I just splurged on some M4 routers in the hopes things would get better and 500$ later we are hosed... These mesh routers are trash and we have all sorts of channel interference and drops because of it. More than likely we will just take these back for a refund. With this product, I probably won't ever buy TP-Link again... Been thinking of straight just moving to Ubiquiti and being done.

Options
2022-09-05 03:10:20

@David-TP Any updates on this?! Had I known this thread was open for 2 years prior to purchase, I'd have never even thought about TP-Link in general. This system is completely useless... Do we all seriously just need to return the junk? My internet hasn't been this bad since 2008.. Constant wifi congestion with only 8 devices connected and only 3 on wifi, This deco has me stuck on all the busiest channels (1,34) yet I have 3 full open channels in 2.4 and all open channels on 5ghz minus 3 of them. One of the Deco's is also braodcasting a hidden signal (all are) that is interfereing with everything as well. When I drop down to 2 decos, we can't get wifi throughout the house.. If you guys have no solution, I will just have to return these..

Options
2022-09-05 12:17:08 - last edited 2022-09-05 12:23:20

@digidoggie18 

I wouldn't say they are trash. They do an awesome job. Well in my case they do when not on a congested channel. (Yes you csn change the channl but not manually. The only way is by usng the Network Optimisation function. I have 3 x M9 but have recommended M5 to friends and family and they have no issues either.  

The only issue I have is the lack of changing channels. This needs to be sorted out but after the years of people's complaints  and still nothing has yet been done, I'm not holding my breath.  

Seems like it will never be resolved.

Oh and Stay away from  Ubiquiti. Now that product  is trash. Those plugin mesh points with no option of ethernet backhaul just don't cut it. 

I can promise you. You will be disappointed. 

Options
2022-09-05 12:40:55
Preventing admin access to change channel is to let the deco choose the best. But if the basic fundamental job of this mesh system isn't working then what's the point of this system at the first place? Within a place of 2500 SFT I have 5 deco's but still devices keep struggling while the TV which is directly connected thru LAN works perfectly even for 4k content. Adding salt to wound is when I see neighbors router( from service provider) is see giving a signal which is free from interference. Don't have a clue why my laptop is seen connected to the farthest deco while it has one within 1 meter range. And my laptop is stationary at same place all the time and get the power from same point as deco( mentioned to state how nearby and stationary they are. To fix this, i need to disconnect Wifi, give a pause and then connect to wifi. And th e plight of devices moving ( mobiles, tablets etc) is pathetic. Due to poor reception of cellular signal, i rely on Wifi calling feature. Every call made while on the move at home will be having a disconnection/pause(hung), and for Voip calls like whatsapp the moment I move from one room to another it gets into reconnecting state. Cant bear this anymore if a solution isn't found. If you guys are not able to fix this, at least let us know with some documentation on how this fancy advertised mesh system works so we can figure out a solution or lend them a happy end of life. Thanks Prakash
Options
2022-09-05 13:13:15 - last edited 2022-09-05 13:15:05

@KSP 

This is how the much fancied Mesh system works. For a lifetime it always stays in the same channel which has the highest interference. No matter how many times we reboot, connect/disconnect it stays in teh same channel. The more i am trying to get a solution the more determined i am getting to throw them away. And i have reason to make this stmt. Just getting to know how poorly made ecosystem here including the web page i amy using to post this. I attach a image and it comes just in middle of the whole paragraph i typed. 

While the interference test in deco lab states medium interference, the Run Wifi diagnostics shows as high interference. It says the current channel has high interference and shows a adjacent one which is free from interference. Just try to understand how it feels like see my foot is in stinking rot, i am seeing a greener pasture, i am not allowed to remove my leg out of it after spending $ 400 on this junk. 

Options
2022-09-05 14:25:19

@digidoggie18 it's not going to happen. 

I had TP Link support login remotely and troubleshoot my setup. They didn't believe I had it configured properly. 
They told me a few key facts that made my decision to move away. 
- there isn't enough CPU/RAM in the M9+ to support all of the existing features 

- I had QoS, child contentment filtering & anti-virus enabled

- had to disable child filtering and AV to have any performance from this system 

- all traffic with these features enabled causes all data to run through TPLinks cloud servers 

- this caused my network to only get less than 1/2 the network speed advertised (I also have 1Gbps up/down fibre from my ISP)

- I was seeing 300 Mbps up/down

How does this relate to channel changing? Simple, there isn't enough CPU and memory to support the existing features. New features/functionality are impossible without removing old features or upgrading the CPU. 

They did guarantee me this would never happen due to the hardware limitations.

I made the decision to move to Google (the wired puck style, not the new Nest model) I have never been happier. 2 devices flood my house with wifi vs 3x deco M9's. My bandwidth tests are all over 850Mbps up/down.  My home network has never been this simple and fast. 

Options
2022-09-06 00:40:49

@TWPS 

Honestly, I've been thinking CPU and RAM is the issue.. I'm getting maxed quite a bit. Everything delays at the max out too and then it drops and then everything floods a few seconds later. I did have interference and disabled a deco and it helped with a 20dbm boost so far so Ive been playing with placement. They still aren't enough though. Delays are still killing my with high bandwidth across the local network. 

Options
2022-09-13 13:28:57

@TP-Link When will this be fixed?

Options
Re:Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2022-09-16 17:50:39

UP THIS TOPIC

Options
2022-09-17 23:26:40

@Subliminal Ubiquiti is trash? Nah... Mesh is absolute trash..

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles