Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

384 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2022-09-17 23:29:28

@RuneS It won't, you might as well ditch the TP-Link products.. TP link has been absolute junk across the board from these routers all the way to smart products that don't stay connected..

Options
2022-09-18 10:31:10

@digidoggie18 

I have used their systems before.. absolute trash. Max 150mps from its mesh points. Yes it's a mesh system too

Options
2022-09-28 07:36:56

@David-TP 

I read your response and I understand. 

You not that it selects the best channel. But you also talk about crowded vs busy.

I have just bought and will likely return due to the attached pictures. So it has been pre parogrammed to select the set channel series. I feel this si extremely poor from TP link. Then in other TP link forums dating back to 2019 this has been discussed and told that its been passed onto the R&D department.

What recourse do I have to secure beyter channels?

My wifi is Hogwarts (no judgement please🤣)

The 2.4 ghz networks seems to be marginally better but not great.

Many Thanks

Options
2022-10-03 17:58:41 - last edited 2022-10-03 18:02:47

I too am frustrated with the lack of basic router/mesh configurability such as those discussed here. Having just purchased a Deco X20-DSL (2 pack), it is obvious that channel congestion is affecting the performance of my network (as confirmed by several troubleshooting apps) and the inability for a user/administrator to change band channels based on the reasoning given is unacceptable, especially given that other OEM's of Mesh products DO indeed provide such functionality via the web GUI... ASUS for one comes to mind ( see RT-AX92U).

Given that you state that you have forwarded valuable customer feedback to your developers back in 2020 with no updated firmware being released to address such issues, it would seem that either your developers are technically challenged or simply don't care. Either way the unsuspecting end user could be forgiven to question their investment in your products based on this level of support.    @David-TP 

R.T.F.M.
Options
2022-10-03 19:58:27

@David-TP - I switched to Google and I can tell you it DOES automatically swtich Wi-Fi channels to the least congested channel. You can verify the channel within thier app. 

I tested the Google solution, next to my former TP-Link M9+... I also had 3 other routers all manually set to certain channels. Guess what... TP-Link did automatically switch, to the most used channel. Yes, I could manually set everyone (except Google) to a specific channel, I started by choosing the channel Google was using. Google instantly (and without any disruption to my home network) switched to a new channel. The Tp-Link ALWAYS used the most used channel. 

I hate to argue, but I think your algorithm is incorrect. Instead of choosing the least busy, it chooses the most active channel. 

Perhaps, a step in the right direction for your remaining customers is to look into this algorithm and verify automatic channel changing is working correctly. I do beleive you will find the similar issue we have ALL complained about for years. Further, you and your developer(s) would appreciate why we are asking for manual capabilities.

Last but not least, other mesh systems such as Google Wi-Fi mesh (update here that Netgear Orbi is not the same mesh as Deco, Orbi is more like a router + an RE, so if we misunderstood it previously, we are sorry for that), don't allow users to change the channel manually either, which means when developing a mesh system, our developers have already taken all factors into serious consideration and choose the current one, the current Deco mesh system may not be perfect or even good, but we don't think it's just that awful or nonusable as some of you thought. If we need or we must do this change to allow you to change the channel, it will require a lot of research in the market and it is not that easy just like you said "just open the option", I think most users like you guys should understand it.

Options
2022-10-04 07:55:51

@TWPS  I also see the same behaviour. The deco use the sam channel and is always slow. In fact I leave in an apparent and hence the interference is very high

Options
2022-10-05 06:50:22

@David-TP all that is fine and partially understandable. What is annoying is that the DECO's are stuck on e.g. Channel 6 on 2.4 Ghz band. It does nto matter how many times they are rebooted! I honestly bought them due to the fact that they would pick the best channel and perform based on that. Well, they do not, they pick the most crowded channel where there are x number of other Wifi AP's/routers flooding the frequency specter with traffic. 

A easy question: Will TP-Link ever fix this flaw so that we (your customers) can get a setup where it is not choosing flooded channels?

Thanks and best regards,

Options
2022-10-30 05:20:44
Got fed-up waiting for a satisfactory resolution to the issue where the main unit would NOT achieve FTTN download speeds greater than 72Mbps so have returned the unit to the Seller for. a full refund . I have configured an old iiNet Technicolor TG789vac V2 in bridge mode ( it consistently achieves FTTN download speeds over 92Mbps) and purchased a new ASUS Zen WiFi Mini XD4 System 2 pack which performs flawlessly. Based on this purchase experience it is doubtful that I will consider TP-Link networking products again in the future. Shame!
R.T.F.M.
Options
2022-11-14 18:57:33

@David-TP 

Hi David,

I had a similar request about a year ago. The reply I got then was that it would be possible in one of the future firmware upgrades. (I had a few since, but no option).

I do not understand the reasoning to not allow channel changes. "others don't do it either".... Really??

Point is really this. If the system would work as designed, it would be fine. But the reality is that the system SUCKS at deciding what channel is not congested. It always chooses a channel that is already in use by a minimum of 12 OTHER networks !!

My neighbor has the exact same system and his does the same thing. Simply always chooses 36-42.  But there is NOTHING above 52 in my neighborhood. (Clearly visible in a simple free Wifi-analyzer app). You describe it is not easy to see if other systems use the same channel, that may be true, but I can see very easilly that the chosen channel is FULL.

So if the Deco's can't choose an empty channel on their own, why wouldn't I be allowed to do so manually? Keep it simple for those that don't want to mess with settings, sure, choose the 'correct' one for them. But please allow me to control the one setting I can make that will help improve my network quality.

Regards,

Edward

Options
2022-11-15 20:47:23 - last edited 2022-11-15 20:49:50

This thread has been going on FOR THREE EFFING YEARS???

WTH!

I need to change the channel on this W7200 immediately or I'll be forced to return it.  It's on the same channel as my DirecTV Genie, and that one cannot be changed.

It is causing me so many problems.  

RD department was pushed?  BS!  They doubtful even know about the issue or their egos cannot tolerate that the code is trash.  Deco only choses the worst possible channels to broadcast.  They got it 180º  backwards.  

Network Optimisation function? No such animal!

There really is still not any solution to this elementary problem?  MY GOD!

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles