Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

384 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2020-08-12 08:41:27

@Teleshka 

Hello,

As we replied earlier, changing the Wi-Fi channel on the Deco app has been forwarded to the developers and they are working on it to evaluate how to improve the channel algorithm, we will soon release new firmware in the near future and it is suggested to keep an eye on your Deco app or the official website.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding, good day.

Options
2020-08-12 12:25:14 - last edited 2020-08-12 12:36:53

@TP-Link_Deco 

why is TP-Link not actually listening to its customer base? Customers are what drive products and sales.

By saying it's been passed along to developers to look into the channel algorithm is still in the wrong direction of what users are asking for. Please stop messing around with a automatic channel algorithm when this is the feature people are wanting to turn off all together. Users need proper management and control. "Fixing" the automatic channel algorithm is not listening and moving the product forward. 

TP-Link is now leaving a bad taste for its products with the lack of professionalism with this request. I’m really not trying to be rude but I’m seriously questioning TP-Links seriousness in how it's responding to this well known bug/featureless issue. 

This isn’t a minor “feature request” that the community is looking for. This is a major oversight that was missed when the product was developed and to keep telling the community that its being looked into, being tested, should have something coming down the road etc. is looking bad. 

The product has been out long enough and the online community has been venting about this lack of support and needed control for a long time. 

I’d rather see the company be fully up front than to continue running the community around in circles. 

If the company has no realistic timeline or support to fix this issue then PLEASE PLEASE be up front and say so. Otherwise its being drug through the mud stating it's being looked into when it's not.

This product should never have been released without proper controls. It makes the product look unfinished and rushed to consumers and to continue to drag this out continuously with no real proper updates is unprofessional. 

IMHO TP-Link is not going to fix this reported bug/issue and the company is stringing along its users with false hope. 

I’ve used TP-Link as my go to routers for years along with Powerline accessories, extenders etc. but now question why sink my hard earned cash into a company that does not want to listen to its customer base. 

I’ve said for years that a company should be valued and measured not on how many products and features it can release but on how well it listens to what the customers actually want. Listening to the customers feedback and being realistic and upfront shows drive and confidence. 

Right now TP-Link is not showing any of this and instead false hope and mentions of a possible fix that’s getting dragged out with no end in sight. 

If the company is serious about fixing this major issue please respond to each of my points. Otherwise TP-Link is dragging this out until the product is no longer supported and will leave those customers behind with a product with known issues. 

Options
2020-08-12 17:39:22

@GetCart3r 

Absolutely agree with these points. @TP-Link_Deco - many of us are from product and IT/ Development/ Project Management background and understand the meaning of features and prioritization. We also understand the meaning of product roadmap. We also understand the meaning of fixing issues ASAP, and how that can be prioritized, and really how much time it takes to test.  

So please dont take us for a ride. M9 Plus was my choice due to the features it promised on paper. Execution is far apart from the marketing material being distributed in big box stores.  What are being cited as features were part of my ASUS router since 2013. Simple basic functionality such as WPA2 and much more are missing. 

These are not just features, these are basic functionalities that any comparative routers have as standard and are expected. 

What is your product roadmap? How many features and fixes are being targetted in the next release? What is your release cycle? If you cant answer these questions without checking 5 different people/ groups in your enterprise then you are not at the level of production release capability and should ideally stop developing mass market products at this price range and promised capability. 

Please get back with some realistic timelines for basic functionality your product is missing. 

Options
2020-08-13 18:28:42

@TP-Link_Deco 

It was really disappointing when i investigated that. I have an appartment in the multi-appartment building and have lots of networks around. And DECO set itself up to the most busy chanels. In teality, I have lost the speed comparing to my previous setup with repeater. 

Options
2020-08-13 19:01:35

@Stan-S this is why I don't understand their thinking! Why put time into "channel algorithm" updates when this is the "feature" we do NOT want. 

This is why I say this is a "BUG". This product should never have been released without the ability for the end user to make needed and required adjustments like this. 

@TP-Link_Deco can the team please please explain why this was left out and why it's not being taken serious? 

id be happy to look at a beta of the firmware if it's being deleopled. 

Options
2020-08-15 13:02:15

@GetCart3r 

Just updated my deco m5 with latest firmware 1.4.7 Jul2020 and there still is no ability to change wifi channel.  I'm returning my m5's because of this lack of basic functionality.  I have devices that have to be on a specific wifi channel but have no way to switch.

Options
2020-08-15 16:36:08

GetCart3r wrote

@TP-Link_Deco 

why is TP-Link not actually listening to its customer base? Customers are what drive products and sales.

By saying it's been passed along to developers to look into the channel algorithm is still in the wrong direction of what users are asking for. Please stop messing around with a automatic channel algorithm when this is the feature people are wanting to turn off all together. Users need proper management and control. "Fixing" the automatic channel algorithm is not listening and moving the product forward. 

TP-Link is now leaving a bad taste for its products with the lack of professionalism with this request. I’m really not trying to be rude but I’m seriously questioning TP-Links seriousness in how it's responding to this well known bug/featureless issue. 

This isn’t a minor “feature request” that the community is looking for. This is a major oversight that was missed when the product was developed and to keep telling the community that its being looked into, being tested, should have something coming down the road etc. is looking bad. 

The product has been out long enough and the online community has been venting about this lack of support and needed control for a long time. 

I’d rather see the company be fully up front than to continue running the community around in circles. 

If the company has no realistic timeline or support to fix this issue then PLEASE PLEASE be up front and say so. Otherwise its being drug through the mud stating it's being looked into when it's not.

This product should never have been released without proper controls. It makes the product look unfinished and rushed to consumers and to continue to drag this out continuously with no real proper updates is unprofessional. 

IMHO TP-Link is not going to fix this reported bug/issue and the company is stringing along its users with false hope. 

I’ve used TP-Link as my go to routers for years along with Powerline accessories, extenders etc. but now question why sink my hard earned cash into a company that does not want to listen to its customer base. 

I’ve said for years that a company should be valued and measured not on how many products and features it can release but on how well it listens to what the customers actually want. Listening to the customers feedback and being realistic and upfront shows drive and confidence. 

Right now TP-Link is not showing any of this and instead false hope and mentions of a possible fix that’s getting dragged out with no end in sight. 

If the company is serious about fixing this major issue please respond to each of my points. Otherwise TP-Link is dragging this out until the product is no longer supported and will leave those customers behind with a product with known issues. 

@GetCart3r 

I completely agree with all that you have said.  I just updated my Deco M5's with the latest firmware....1.4.7 072020 and they still have done nothing to add wifi channels to the firmware.  I have devices that will not function correctly if not on a specific set of channels.  Which is why I'm returning the M5's.

Options
2020-08-16 10:59:52 - last edited 2020-08-16 11:04:03

I am experiencing really bad wifi performance after having changed from an old mesh setup to brand new wired connected Deco M9+'s. Both my sons reports that gaming is lacking bad. We have 1000/1000 from the ISP and it is redicously that we can not really use it. I am not an expert but I guess it could be a channel issue after having read this thread. I have also been communicating with TPLink asking for VLAN support (to be able to connect my ISP connection directly to the M9+ set bypassing an unnessasary router from my ISP). In another thread that feature was promissed to be included in the new firmware. After finally getting 1.4.0 on the set (which in it self was an ridiculus difficult and time consuming exercise) I still can't see VLAN support. I am now on the brand new 1.4.2. Maybe it is me that just can't find the setting but it is just so frustrating that TPLink simply doesn't answer me in the thread I started early this year about that topic... All in all: feautures that one would expect from an expensive set such as the M9+ are not there and TPlink customer service is...

Options
2020-08-16 12:02:17

@kaja69 I have Deco M9+ as well, the upgrade in my case was very easy, it took 2 steps of 3 minutes. I am also on 1.4.2 firmware

I have fiber 500/500, I use the Deco in router mode (my ISP router is in bridge mode). I don't need VLAN support, but I think you can get there in the Deco App from

More -> Advanced -> IPTV/VLAN

Options
2020-08-17 04:52:12

@cacb thanks for input, I don't have the IPTV/VLAN option, is it only there when in router mode?

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles